Criminal Background Check For Retirement

HELLO EVERYONE I AM  FROM AMERICA, THINKING ABOUT RETIRING IN BANGKOK, 10YRS AGO I WAS CHARGE WITH THEFT 10YRS AGO FELONY CHARGE I KNOW STUPID I FOUND OUT THAT I HAVE TO HAVE A BACKGROUND CHECK, DOES THIS AUTOMATIC BARS ME FROM GETTING A O-A VISA OR A O VISA IS THERE ANY WAY AROUND THIS, AFTER WHAT HAPPEN 10YRS AGO I HAVEN'T BEEN AN ANY TROUBLE GOOD PERSON BAD JUGDEMENT BACK THAN. I MEET ALL THE OTHER BUT THIS ONE. THANK YOU!

Well I don't know what Thai immi is towards a criminal record,  I do know in Thailand pay between 15000-27000  to a bonfire agent and they takecare of everything within 24 hours.  They do their job. The actual cost of the retirement visa is only .4000. They takecare of paperwork and funds if you don't meet requorements. 

But as mentioned... It is done here in Thailand

7 hours ago, sioux2012 said:

Well I don't know what Thai immi is towards a criminal record,  I do know in Thailand pay between 15000-27000  to a bonfire agent and they takecare of everything within 24 hours.  They do their job. The actual cost of the retirement visa is only .4000. They takecare of paperwork and funds if you don't meet requorements. 

my retirement visa was only 1,900 baht in august last.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pipeflaw said:

If you apply for a retirement visa in Thailand the form asks you to indicate if you have any convictions.

You cannot apply for a retirement visa within the country. 

I have never seen a immigration application form that asked if you had any criminal convictions.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, catman20 said:

my retirement visa was only 1,900 baht in august last.

I think the 4000 Baht figure included the 2000 Baht non-O single-entry needed to start the process - whether done by conversion from a Tourist visa or Exempt entry (the hard way), or just getting one from a neighboring Thai consulate.  Once he has that, he can do the 1900  Baht extension.  So 3900 Baht, really.

Edited by JackThompson

11 hours ago, sioux2012 said:

Not withstanding the useful comments by Ubon J and others here I think the THB 15K -27K quoted is somewhat steep.

Here in CNX the going rate is sub THB 12k for a multiple re-entry visa which will include the passport 90 day stamping and an efficient reminder of the upcoming date.

The 24 hour lead time might require a 3k 'contribution' but the various docs would still be required

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot apply for a retirement visa within the country. 

I have never seen a immigration application form that asked if you had any criminal convictions.

The form is TM87 (Application for Visa) and you have to fill in under "reason":  "Retirement". Cost is still B2000 and is issued in Country by Thai Immigration and stamped in Thai language "For retirement".  There is no requirement on the form for entering criminal convictions, or proof of address in Thailand. My original Visa issued by Thai Immigration in Bangkok, was stamped "Visa: Non-O" but ever since they refer to the original Visa on which my retirement extensions are based as" Visa: Non-RE".

This Visa (Non-RE) on the basis of Retirement can be applied for at Thai Immigration Division 1 Bangkok after you enter on a 30 day exemption tourist visa following the current rules and regulations that are also published on the Thai Immigration web site: http://www.immigration.go.th/

4 hours ago, stephehr said:

I have never heard of a CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK FOR RETIREMENT  being required for this, and I have had married to a Thai, and retirement. I know that some schools require the background check. New one on me

Over two years ago we applied for a non-O visa in the UK, a criminal record check was required done by Scotland Yard.  Dont know if it is still the same in the UK.  

Never need one here or in Malaysia.

1 hour ago, georgemandm said:

I think everyone who wants to live in thailand should have a  criminal check and by doing that would keep lots of the bad ones out .

like lots of country's now you need to have a criminal check to live in that country.

This thread isn't about whether or not this should be required. It's an advice thread for a specific member. He can retire here if he avoids starting with an O-A.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nurseynutcase said:

Over two years ago we applied for a non-O visa in the UK, a criminal record check was required done by Scotland Yard.  Dont know if it is still the same in the UK.  

Never need one here or in Malaysia.

The O.P. is American. The last I checked you generally can't get single entry (90 day) O visas in the USA for reason of retirement extension application in Thailand so that detail is academic for him. I was able to do that years ago in the USA and there was no such question. Anyway, I suggested before he can get a 90 day O in Laos, Malaysia (Penang), or even in Thailand. 

I will add, just for a taste of paranoia, while the O.P. with such a criminal record can indeed achieve retirement status in Thailand by avoiding the O-A that doesn't rule out a change of policy in future. Immigration can make any rules that they like and for example start to require criminal record checks for annual retirement extensions. Do I think they would do that or that would be practical for expats to get once settled in Thailand? No. I think unlikely. 

Personally I have no such record but after living in Thailand so long I'm not sure how I would even get a report like that from here. 

Of course Thai immigration could also make inquiries to international agencies and try to research criminal records of expats themselves, without asking.

HOWEVER, in the news you often here of Thai police picking up people with active warrants in other countries but I have never heard news about a deportation based on discovering a previous criminal record where time had already been served.

Edited by Jingthing

I direct your attention to the following as per the Ministry public statement;

11. According to the Immigration Act of Thailand B.E. 2522 (1979), foreigners who fall into any of the following categories are prohibited to enter Thailand:

(11.4)  Being mentally unstable or having any of the diseases stated in the Ministerial Regulations. 

(11.6)  Having been imprisoned by judgment of the Thai Court; or by lawful injunction or judgment of the Court of a foreign country, except for when the penalty is for a petty offence, or negligence, or is provided for as an exception by the Ministerial Regulations. 

(11.10)  Being a person prohibited by the Minister under Section 16 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979). 

Section 16 : In the instance where for reason of national welfare or safeguarding the public peace , culture , morality , or welfare , or when the Minister considers it improper to allow any alien or any group of alien to enter into the Kingdom , the Minister shall have power to exclude said alien or group aliens from entering into the Kingdom.

In the USA, the federal government defines a felony as a crime punishable by imprisonment in excess of one year. If punishable by exactly one year or less, it is classified as a misdemeanor. A felony conviction can  result in a suspended sentence meaning that the convict avoids jail if he behaves over a period of time.

If the OP has been imprisoned he is technically excluded from entry and can be deported  immediately upon discovery.  If only convicted and not imprisoned, there may be some wiggle room. However, considering the mindset of  immigration,  it's a bit risky.

Yes,  many felons and violent criminals have entered Thailand, however, the nature of being able to hide out is changing. Information is shared. This is particularly relevant for those who are convicted of drug  or sex offenses.

I mention 11.4 for reference sake, as it could certainly be used to remove a large number of people who post on TVF.  :sleep:

Thailand is not the place to go if one has a felony conviction. It is best to obtain a pardon and to have have the criminal record expunged. In the USA, felons are treated differently than those convicted of misdemeanors. Remember, many of their rights are   forfeited.  If the OP is able to obtain a US passport that would be a positive  sign.

Who Is Not Eligible for a U.S. Passport; Felony drug convictions; Certain other drug convictions; Child support cases;Unpaid federal loans

The U.S. Secretary of State may also disqualify you if you have been convicted of a misdemeanor state or federal drug charges, except in cases of misdemeanor drug charges that involve only a first offense possession of a controlled substance. The Secretary of State can grant exceptions in humanitarian cases.

This is a case where the suggestion not to invest more in Thailand than you can afford to lose (such as real estate) might be especially apt. But, keeping it real, ALL of us retired expats are on short ONE YEAR leashes. So I'm not sure there is all that much difference for the O.P. who can retire here but might have a special worry about his past coming to bite him later.

Edited by Jingthing

OP - you'll need to have your 800,000thb (or USD equivalent) on deposit in a thai bank (your US account can't be used) in order to obtain the 90 day non immigrant O visa in thailand.

there is another active thread going here 'retirement visa agent or go it alone'.  i'm in the process of converting a visa exempt entry into a non immo O and you'll find some helpful info on that thread (the main item being a list of things required by immigration in bangkok to do the conversion).

5 minutes ago, buick said:

OP - you'll need to have your 800,000thb (or USD equivalent) on deposit in a thai bank (your US account can't be used) in order to obtain the 90 day non immigrant O visa in thailand.

there is another active thread going here 'retirement visa agent or go it alone'.  i'm in the process of converting a visa exempt entry into a non immo O and you'll find some helpful info on that thread (the main item being a list of things required by immigration in bangkok to do the conversion).

That is one method.

There are three choices --

800K in THAI bank account

65K monthly income shown by U.S. embassy letter

COMBINATION of money in Thai bank account plus income letter totaling at least 800K baht annually. 

Yes, for the two steps (O visa plus extension) you need to show the financial requirements both times.

For the second step, the annual extension, if using banked money, that money needs to be "seasoned" for two months prior to the application. Seasoning not needed for the O visa application.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This thread isn't about whether or not this should be required. It's an advice thread for a specific member. He can retire here if he avoids starting with an O-A.

Sorry but it is about a  criminal  check and I was having my say .

2 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Sorry but it is about a  criminal  check and I was having my say .

Sure, but he was asking if he can retire here, and in my opinion, the answer is yes. He wasn't asking if he SHOULD be able to retire here. 

I think that is a valid question but that is not the question that is the focus of THIS topic. 

Edited by Jingthing

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sure, but he was asking if he can retire here, and in my opinion, the answer is yes. He wasn't asking if he SHOULD be able to retire here. 

I think that is a valid question but that is not the question that is the focus of THIS topic. 

Read again ok he ask with a  criminal  Record can he  retire in thailand so your are wrong.

i think anyone with a  criminal record should not be  allowed to retire in thailand that is the price you pay .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Read again ok he ask with a  criminal  Record can he  retire in thailand so your are wrong.

i think anyone with a  criminal record should not be  allowed to retire in thailand that is the price you pay .

I don't think I'm wrong.

In fact, I detailed HOW he could do that exactly.

He can't do that by starting with an O-A visa but starting with an O-A visa is NOT required. 

Don't assume that I'm either pro or con allowing ex-cons to retire in Thailand. I merely answered his technical question. 

Should he do that?

Well, I can provide good reasons why NOBODY should retire in Thailand, but that's definitely off topic here.

Edited by Jingthing

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think I'm wrong.

In fact, I detailed HOW he could do that exactly.

He can't do that by starting with an O-A visa but starting with an O-A visa is NOT required. 

Don't assume that I'm either pro or con allowing ex-cons to retire in Thailand. I merely answered his technical question. 

Should he do that?

Well, I can provide good reasons why NOBODY should retire in Thailand, but that's definitely off topic here.

Up to you how you think , but the laws now have  challenged in thailand and for me I had to do that Visa in my home country with a  criminal check .

no sure about the USA . 

Up to you how you think , but the laws now have  challenged in thailand and for me I had to do that Visa in my home country with a  criminal check .
no sure about the USA . 

I never suggested that he apply for any visa in the USA.