Thai Dept. of Corrections denies FIDH claims of poor prison conditions

webfact

DOC denies FIDH claims of poor prison conditions

BANGKOK, 3 March 2017 (NNT) – The Department of Corrections (DOC) dismissed claims made by the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) of poor conditions of Thai prisons. 

The agency made a statement addressing the criticism made by International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) to the point that the management of the Thai prisons fell below the international standards and the jails were ridden with human rights abuses, overcrowded and remained in lack of correction officials. 

The DOC said it has been treating both Thai and international inmates equally and uphold the international standards such as the Mandela Rules and the Bangkok Rules which determine the basic care for inmates' quality of life, medical assistance, education and occupational training programs while the Thai law forbids any kind of torture of the inmates. 

Inmates in the Thai prisons will face punishment according to their discipline, such as probation, prohibition of external visits for up to 3 months, prevention for receiving rewards, up to one month isolation, while the DOC only requires inmates to wear restraints in forms of handcuffs and leg cuffs only when transporting inmates to and from prison and court, or to and from another prison. 

Touching on the claims of physical abuses against inmates with the alleged use of nightsticks, the DOC clarified that nightsticks are a weapon for prison officials who are only allowed to use them in order to break up a fight among the inmates or in self-defense. 

The DOC acknowledged that there might be a problem about overcrowded conditions given up to 70 percent of all inmates being convicted of drug trafficking charges.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-03-03

As we have seen so often, when there is a problem in Thailand, they deny it and think it has gone away.

Prisons here do not come remotely close to meeting International standards.

It's true they treat Thais and foreigners the same. Appallingly.

Nightsticks are routinely used to dish out beatings, not just to break up fights.

The use of shackles for punishment is also routine. At BangKwang, inmates get them for the first 3 months automatically.

Medical care? Laughable. Education? close to non existent for all but a few. Occupational Training? I've never seen any.

And there "might" be a problem with overcrowding? Oh that's hysterical. You put 70 people in a room meant for 20, what DO you call it, if not overcrowded?

Complete and utter pile of lies. They do not comply with International agreements, or even come close, and they know it.

Perhaps the OZ prison officials might like to take a short break from looking after their chargers in 5 star comfort and take a gander at some Thai prisons, the idea's they bring back would possibly and hopefully shock the do gooders into some sensibility.......................................:coffee1:

3 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

prisons in Norway are slums compared to those in Thailand

Google says Norway has the best prison system in the world. This must be humor or irony or something? The oil money is used for all sections of Norway society.

During WW2 the Japanese prisoner of war camps were described by many people as having the worst conditions and the worst torture than any others on the planet. In the present day how does Thailand fair in the top 10 of worst prisons in the world? Why does there seem to be less empathy in Thai culture? What is fueling the society that advocates such inhumane conditions. Is this religion? Does Budhism not forgive and forget? Or is this prison system simply under funded and swept under the carpet. The 3 wise monkeys thing. See no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil.

12 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Google says Norway has the best prison system in the world. This must be humor or irony or something? The oil money is used for all sections of Norway society.

Hes taking the piss mate - everyone knows Norway has the best prisons.  Some people even go to Norway to commit crimes so they can have a nice stay (true).

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

As we have seen so often, when there is a problem in Thailand, they deny it and think it has gone away.

It's true they treat Thais and foreigners the same. Appallingly ...

Brilliant post, Darksidedog.

Yes, all is of course sweetness and light in the Thai prison system, according to the Authorities.  Each prisoner has a personal physician to make sure he is in good health. Each prisoner has a personal masseuse to ease away any aches and pains from non-existent shackles and manacles. Each prisoner has private and personal laptops, TV, stereo systems, in their spacious room (not cell), which they can in fact leave at any time to take a plunge in the communal swimming pool, which is daily fed with fragrant rose water. In fact, each prisoner is free to leave the prison at any time. But because conditions are up to such marvellous, top-notch and world-beating standards, the Thai Authorities report that no one ever wants to leave ...

Thailand: land of self-delusion and lies on a cosmic scale.

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Wrong mate, i did not commit any crime, but due to a corrupt senior policeman i went to prison here.

Commenting on the department of corrections denying claims about prison conditions  !! BULLS..T!!

I was in a cell with 103 other men, my area on the bare concrete floor was 2mtr long 45 cm wide.

Food was worse than you would feed to pigs, you could not go to the toilet without dozens of men seeing you.

Squat toilets 3 for 103 men in the same room, the stink at night was horrendous.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

A snappy little catchphrase isn't it?

There are two points to be made - one is that as some posters have asserted there are reasonable grounds for doubt as to whether some (maybe a significant proportion) of those incarcerated actually "did the crime", and second some of the sentences handed down are ludicrously Draconian - 15 years for picking mushrooms?

I reckon Thailand's prisons only "might be" so hopelessly overcrowded because just about everybody refuses to leave once their time is up as the living conditions are just so marvelous.

Thai prisons are like vacation camps and every report to the contrary is nothing but lies, lies, lies perpetuated by the vicious foreign press and vindictive former foreign inmates alike, intended to discredit and defame Thailand's paradise-like correctional facilities.

In fact, Thailand's crime rate is only so staggeringly high because everybody desperately tries to finally get to spend time behind bars to enjoy the world-class facilities and services there.

At least that is what the DOC seems to believe. Screw you, FIDH! You know nothing! 

58 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Wrong mate, i did not commit any crime, but due to a corrupt senior policeman i went to prison here.

Commenting on the department of corrections denying claims about prison conditions  !! BULLS..T!!

I was in a cell with 103 other men, my area on the bare concrete floor was 2mtr long 45 cm wide.

Food was worse than you would feed to pigs, you could not go to the toilet without dozens of men seeing you.

Squat toilets 3 for 103 men in the same room, the stink at night was horrendous.

I cede to your point Colin......I momentarily forgot about all the corruption here....:wai:

55 minutes ago, JAG said:

A snappy little catchphrase isn't it?

There are two points to be made - one is that as some posters have asserted there are reasonable grounds for doubt as to whether some (maybe a significant proportion) of those incarcerated actually "did the crime", and second some of the sentences handed down are ludicrously Draconian - 15 years for picking mushrooms?

I hear you too JAG. I think with hindsight It was a stupid and rash comment. Unfortunately the people that should be in the prison are not.......and we all know who they are.....:ermm:

And Trump thinks he's got a problem with fake news and incorrect reports. Well Donald, just think how Thailand feels.

Fake reports about prisons, Pattaya, the police, trials, democracy, politics, ferry safety, immigration queues and air travel standards!

All these farang news agencies and NGO's need bringing to heel and all these fake reports stopping. :whistling:

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It's true they treat Thais and foreigners the same. Appallingly.

Nightsticks are routinely used to dish out beatings, not just to break up fights.

The use of shackles for punishment is also routine. At BangKwang, inmates get them for the first 3 months automatically.

Medical care? Laughable. Education? close to non existent for all but a few. Occupational Training? I've never seen any.

And there "might" be a problem with overcrowding? Oh that's hysterical. You put 70 people in a room meant for 20, what DO you call it, if not overcrowded?

Complete and utter pile of lies. They do not comply with International agreements, or even come close, and they know it.

Of course. Deny is better than admit. If you admit then you might be asked for a plan to do something about it, and even be held responsible and accountable for delivering the plan. 

Nah, deny. What problem?

Slap those fools with a defamation suit quick time.

Amazing percentage of female prisoners, what's up with that?

And an obviously high percentage of drug offenders; those that can afford it pay the "administrative fee" to avoid charges and jail time. It's not all that expensive; ~ 30,000 baht for a typical drug offense.

On 3/3/2017 at 7:53 AM, darksidedog said:

I remember reading that exact same detail recently, I think, in a report re some farang inmate who was trying to get deported to serve the remainder of his sentence in his home country prison. That prior report had, if I recall correctly, a photo of the scars/injuries around his ankles from where he had been forced to wear shackles.

Amazing that the Thai authorities can manage to publicly deny all of the accusations above -- none of which would come as any surprise to anyone who follows such things. Truth definitely is a casualty here.

On 03/03/2017 at 2:23 AM, AGareth2 said:

rule 1: don't do time in Thailand

rule 2: obey rule 1

Rule 1 Don't go near the Land of Scammers

Rule 2 if you do you need to see a doctor

Rule 3 Don't listen to the propaganda that flows from the biggest hub of deception in the modern world, they can teach China and Russia a thing or two these days

On 3/3/2017 at 9:04 AM, chainarong said:

Perhaps the OZ prison officials might like to take a short break from looking after their chargers in 5 star comfort and take a gander at some Thai prisons, the idea's they bring back would possibly and hopefully shock the do gooders into some sensibility.

Brother, you have a warped view of prison conditions in Australia.  I've visited many, interviewed inmates and have had some (minor) input into correctional service policies and philosophies in  Australia, as well as with juvenile justice and how justice and correctional systems can work together.  My view is that Australia's correctional services are still stuck in an 18th century time warp as a basis for understanding how the systems' values, philosophies affect. practical outcomes. Many gaols are still built following guidelines instituted more than two centuries ago.  Too many people wrestle with the idea that most inmates in Australia are criminals who deserve to be stuck there for ever, rather than victims of racism or other ignorant fears propagated within a society where most people don't want to have to deal with justice issues that are "too hard" - controversial (in the sense that they challenge ignorance to be replaced by common sense).

Most inmates in Australia should not be in prison and should never been allowed to be dragged into over-worked courtrooms.  I can guarantee you that at least 60% (likely more) of inmates should have been diverted into mental health services care. Many should have been cared for through intervention by (non-existent, frankly) welfare services.

Many police are frustrated by the inhuman, uncaring "services" that do exist that simply cannot take on the vulnerable, weak and defenceless victims that are regularly abandoned to the "easy" funnel of corrections facilities. Many correctional services and justice staff support the police view and deplore the fact that dreadfully inadequate funding has created a giant mincer that swallows up the lives of so many people whose only crimes have been physical and/or mental incapacities that have doomed them to lives with very little sunlight or kindness.

I have no close-up experience with Thai jails and little experience with the justice system but I daresay the Thai systems, no doubt, suffer even worse funding support that a truly compassionate society would provide.

Ignorance is bliss.  Correctional services is almost a "taboo" issue in most countries. Ordinary citizens just don't want to know what goes on in the name of "justice" on behalf of the ":normal" community. Part of the reason why authorities get away with what they do.

I acknowledge that evil, criminal minds exist in society and people need protection from such. But far too many vulnerable and innocent get dragged into the justice system because there's no alternative services available.