POLL: Men, how do you like your beef steak done?

Jingthing

POLL: Men, how do you like your beef steak done?  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not much into beef as meat is used to give flavor to other ingredients...best to have it chopped up and stir fried...

when in the west and splashin' out prime rib is nice but that is roasted...bloody with lotsa horseradish...trimmed of all fat and gristle...

I useta know wimmin that would take my fat and gristle from my plate and pop it into their mouths  with an arched eyebrow so as to say: 'whatssamata wid you ye sissy...'

then we would finish the wine, go home and have wonderful sex...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I voted rare, but I really like rare and almost burnt to a crisp, which aren't mutually exclusive.

Dark cutting beef is the best meat for nicely seared steaks that remain rare inside. I especially like the ribeye, because the seared fats give lots of flavor to the steak.

Right on, my friend. Super-seared, rare inside.

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I don't eat a lot of beef either but I like it. Part of it is the expense for decent quality. Sometimes I dream of Argentina.

a parrilla with some local red wine wouldn't be half bad...al fresco...

head down to Tucuman province to gaze upon the vault of the andes with the meal...can't go wrong...

Martin Fierro is hangin' just outside the door: 'ptooie, these skinny cigars taste like shit...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I was at a 5star Sunday brunch in Bkk and asked for my helping o the blood dripping rare roast prime beef to be cooked to Medium well. The Italian head chef came to my table and said 'Sir, I prefer to serve the beef rare' - to which I replied 'but you are not paying for it' he minced away in a huff but I got my beef cooked the way I wanted it.

I prefer it to be "done" somewhere outside of Thailand.  Probably (almost assuredly) it will be better beef, certainly better prepared if by me and/or a proper steak house will really know what they are doing,  and far better pricing as well.

There would be a glass or two of a real nice wine with it and that too will be fairly priced.

This kind of meal is just far and away better outside of the LOS.

Mooing, bleeding and running off the plate. Don't eat much "Thai steak" See attached pic. There is a trick I heard of to make it a bit tenderer. Put the meat in a plastic bag and leave it in the fridge for a few days. Take it out everyday, clean it; wash, pat dry, put into clean plastic bag, back in the fridge, repeat. I've tried this and it's ok.

b97fd451a0acf219384a2009e72a87da.jpg

I'm not into beefsteak.   Wife might like beefsteak though - aged and well done.  :wink:

chippendales-image-3-427473320.jpg

Me?  Much prefer tenderloin.  Just run 'em by the fire to warm 'em up.  Ready and rare-ing to go!  :wink:

Miss-Grand-International-2013.jpg

6 minutes ago, Gonefortea said:

Men only!! Sexism at its best. MEN only eat steak then not voting as you didn't include refuse to vote due to Sexism 

Me missus like steak cooked until it turn to charcoal. Best to keep this about the real steak eaters, I apologise if you  have a vagina.

38 minutes ago, Gonefortea said:

Men only!! Sexism at its best. MEN only eat steak then not voting as you didn't include refuse to vote due to Sexism 

I don't believe you're serious, but it would help to read the OP and the linked article to understand WHY this is indeed is a MEN ONLY poll. 

I would suggest the best choice for you might be: Grumpy Expat Option

Edited by Jingthing

My Thai GF is the one who eats the steak, and she always orders medium rare. But she will eat it rare quite happily. I went off eating red meat many years ago. Can't remember why, but there was a reason. Don't miss it at all. I much prefer fish, when it is fresh.

JT I never thought of my GF being manly. Now, you have started me thinking.

On 3/4/2017 at 11:14 AM, grollies said:

Pretty hard to find a chef in the UK who knows how to cook a blue steak.

I've stopped eating beef but we used to go to a market in koh po where they'd sell a fillet same price as any other cut. Used to buy a whole fillet, hang it, then age in the fridge for a couple of weeks, chop up and freeze.

Voted rare cause OP missed out blue from the poll.

I sent my steak back three times at the Dorchester hotel in Park Lane ,London. I had asked for it very, very rare.

The British have a different way of classifying steaks. For them, very rare means medium rare, medium rare means medium and medium means well done. It seems much the same here, I find it very hard indeed to get a very rare steak here. I love steak tartare (raw)  or Italian style ( carpachio?)raw. Marcos in Chiangmai does the latter beautifully. But on the whole I'm a bit wary of eating raw steak here. 

Deoending on who's handled it, raw is fine. I like rare, as long as there's plenty of blood free-flowing. Noting to do with masculinity; taste and texture (and the conviviality of eating companions - I like the companionship engendered by shared growls and grunts of pure animal enjoyment of eating another species together). Just add beer, alcohol and a handy gun rack and that's all you need for a party.

56 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't believe you're serious, but it would help to read the OP and the linked article to understand WHY this is indeed is a MEN ONLY poll. 

I would suggest the best choice for you might be: Grumpy Expat Option

No not at all sexism at its best. Imagine a woman posting about lipstick saying this is for women only. Uproar would be the end outcome on here. Maybe the only choice on this poll should be the grumpy sexism expat option.

For a good steak simply shine torch on both sides...!

Not that easy to get good steak here although my local Makro now sells Thai Charolais... Not as good as a decent imported steak, but at around half the price of even cheaper imports, it's got a pretty good flavor & even the cheaper cuts are usually reasonably tender (if you still have your own teeth - which probably rules a few out here..;-)..)  It normally costs around 50-60% more than the usual Thai stuff which is best used for resoling shoes.

3 minutes ago, Gonefortea said:

No not at all sexism at its best. Imagine a woman posting about lipstick saying this is for women only. Uproar would be the end outcome on here. Maybe the only choice on this poll should be the grumpy sexism expat option.

Sorry you either don't get it or don't want to get it. Just move to another thread. This is for entertainment purposes anyway. 

On 3/4/2017 at 1:58 PM, CharlieH said:

To cook your steaks, heat a frying pan – to a moderate heat for fillet, hot for T-bone or very hot for rib-eye. Add a swirl of oil, with a whole garlic clove and a herb sprig. Season thesteaks with salt and pepper and cook for 1½-2½ mins on each side.

steak.jpg

Grilling gives a better visual assessment - oil confuses it.

Grill 2-3 minutes on a hot grill both sides, then flip back to the first side grilled. Watch the steak surface - when it starts to sweat, remove and rest for ten minutes. Result will be slightly less pink than shown.

The grill must be hot to seal the flavour in.

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I don't eat a lot of beef either but I like it. Part of it is the expense for decent quality. Sometimes I dream of Argentina.

sometimes excellent quality can be had for 338 baht / Kg.