Video: Minivan driver pays 5,000 baht fine for dangerous driving after passenger films him on Pattaya to Bangkok run

rooster59

1 hour ago, chopin2 said:

This is basically how all minivan drivers behave. Has anyone ever experienced a minivan driver with the ability  to drive safe?

Yes, me. I have always been very critical of Thai drivers, I use mini bus drivers from time to time and have never had any problems with them.

If overtaking on the inside is against safe driving, then yes, they are all guilty. But it is the half wits hogging lanes and driving too slow

that cause this.

5 minutes ago, johng said:

The most likely place for "too slow drivers" causing a problem is at the U-turns

but I think their contribution to fatalities is far less than the "too fast drivers"

Yes. it probably is, but it is still a big problem especially in the centre lanes.

I believe its not actually illegal to overtake on the inside lane ( undertaking )  though it is a very dangerous practice and would not be needed in most cases if the out side ( fast lane) was used properly  for mostly overtaking slower vehicles and slower vehicles stayed left..the problem here is that the fast/overtaking lane is also used for U-turns thus bringing slow moving traffic into the direct path of fast moving vehicles the design of the road is dangerous to start with.

5,000 baht fine chicken feed. Did he loose his license no? He was caught doing dangerous driving Does that not count here? Oh thats right he has to kill someone then he gets 10,000 Baht fine if he is unlucky. Those idiots should not be carrying passengers Anyway this morning i was passed by 2 minivans doing at least 120 klms in a 80 klms speed zone Funny hey They dont learn and or pay attention Next case

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

He should lose his job for 6 months.  Penalties here are too low.  5,000B is nothing and he's back on the road still driving crazy.  I hate minivan drivers and big buses! LOL

The owner should have been fined twice as much for entrusting this moron with peoples lives, and the fleet manager too if tyres/pressures were below par.

Dashcams/CCTV/drug testing of drivers in public transport is long overdue.

Edited by evadgib

Here in my area of Isaan most of the gazillions of minivans are shuttling young students.  Sadly, many of these brainless drivers must share DNA with the dangerous idiot featured in this video.

And not long ago one of them, his van crammed full of students, ran a stop sign at a blind intersection, without even slowing down, and nearly finished me off and my Ninja 300 motorbike.  With no warning whatsoever his minivan suddenly appeared directly in front of me from a blind side street onto the busy 6-lane boulevard I was on.  All I could do was immediately lean left and lock up the brakes to try to avoid tee-boning him and wait for the impact.  Obviously I was also laying on the horn.  Things went pear shaped fast as both wheels locked up and the motorbike began a sideways slide.  Of course,  when things like this happen time slows down as adrenaline immediately kicks in.  Luckily, the ABS kicked in and the bike miraculously self-righted allowing me to maintain control.  I'm telling you I missed his rear bumper by only about 2 inches.  It was literally that close.  And he never even stopped.  I went after him like a rocket and pulled him over.  I read him the riot act in Thai.  He was shrugging his shoulders like, "What did I do wrong?"  He's lucky I didn't punch him and/or strangle him.  I would have done Thailand a public service.

And for those wondering, NO, I wasn't speeding.  Had I not been going at a leisurely pace that day I wouldn't be writing this.  

7 minutes ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

Obviously I was also laying on the horn.

I agree with much of what you said  so don't take this the wrong way but don't you think that the precious little reaction time you had would have been better used for evasive manoeuvres  rather than "laying on the horn"

4 hours ago, JAG said:

Don't worry, he will be driving a brand new microbus soon so problem solved...

Yeah, that´s right! As I heard by an extremely stupid post in another thread, they will only go in 90 km/h so that was appearently not so dangerous.

2 hours ago, hansnl said:

As I read through this, I am not really surprised at the driving "skills" shown.

What surprises me more is the fact most passengers don't seem to be interested in curtailing the drivers' exploits.

In fact it frightens me!

It is obvious you have never been on such a flying (sic!) coffin.

Don't dare to question the driver as a foreigner, this will only make things worse ("oh Farang you no like? Get out this country we not need you! And friend me police man will make you plomplem maakmaak!"). And don't expext ANY help or support from the Thai PAX on board, even if they themselves have faces as pale as snow white or green as "I must vomit now"

The only option you have (and this is how I did it in 2016 after being stupid enough to enter such a cross-province-Minivan again after many years) is to just get off the Minivan at the first stop it makes - in my case in Laem Chabang coming from Pattaya Klang, caress the ground with your hands, thank your destiny that you are alive, and hop on a slow "big Bus" which will most likely cause you to reach your destination an hour later than planned, but then again, IN ONE PIECE

2 minutes ago, johng said:

I agree with much of what you said  so don't take this the wrong way but don't you think that the precious little reaction time you had would have been better used for evasive manoeuvres  rather than "laying on the horn"

Trust me johng, no reaction time lost as I've lived_here/driven_here for a long time and ridden motorcycles most of my life so using that precious little life-saving horn button is AUTOMATIC!

Cheers!

He was shrugging his shoulders like, "What did I do wrong?"  He's lucky I didn't punch him and/or strangle him.  I would have done Thailand a public service.

That would have been more risky than the motorbike 'near-miss' he would have whistled to 10 of his closest friends and you definitely wouldn't have been here - sad but true

10 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Wishful thinking, they just don't get it and I fear they never will!

You can't teach the brain dead.

Fortunately, a lot of them die. Unfortunately, they often take innocent people with them.

This response from the public to this dangerous behaviour is welcoming and the government through the police should encourage people to video footage  dangerous driving and send the video to the police who can respond by arresting the culprit - a very high financila penalty should be imposed with possible custodial sentences

Always amusing to see the reactions of drivers once people have the temerity to question their 'skills'- especially women having a go at them. In this case she remains calm and tries to keep it lighthearted. My experience is the more criticism the angrier and more dangerous they get. 

The more of these guys that get fined the better- social media is starting to have an impact.

At least it was 5k this time, not B500.

On 04/03/2017 at 9:08 AM, Beachdude said:

When will they institute police patrols and enforcement of traffic laws on the highways? It's not that hard. 

Unmarked police cars equipped with speed guns etc to start nabbing these guys.

oh , I forgot. They are all out arresting old farrangs for playing bridge. 

I was told that they tried it once and had to stop as they caused so many accidents chasing people, now they make them stay still, each one at a check post is one less nutter on the road.

Edited by Shawn0000

Less than a $150 fine...if you litter on a California highway $1000 fine...

Thai gov really needs to get their sh*t together....

there is no progressive discipline in place...driving infractions and offenses are not even computerized....sadly a big joke...

On 3/4/2017 at 7:58 AM, craigt3365 said:

He should lose his job for 6 months.  Penalties here are too low.  5,000B is nothing and he's back on the road still driving crazy.  I hate minivan drivers and big buses! LOL

and  walk straight into another one, no questions asked

Castration would also help so that the stupidity genes do not get passed on.

I'd go one step further and hang them. No good to man nor beast and the world is overpopulated. emoji39.png

Nah.  Too messy and time consuming.  A simple garrote properly applied by any passenger would obtain instant compliance.