New law raises minimum age of smokers to 20 in bid to discourage youths

rooster59

32 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

And almost everything that's not allowed makes it even more interesting. Gosshh.

I can't believe that you've got to be 20 to make your driver's license for a car, but you could be  tank driver in the Army before that age?

I had a licence to drive an M113-A1 APC when I was 17 years old (young). I was a gunner, driver, signaller before I was old enough to buy a can of beer! But I could buy smokes anywhere, no questions asked!  So I was trained enough to participate in the killing of other human beings, slowly kill myself with the crap in cigarettes but could not have a couple of schooners down the pub. Somethings not right, mate!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had an argument with some guy last week in a bar as he was smoking very close to my pregnant wife with total disregard to anybody else and our unborn baby. I asked him politely to stop smoking as my wife had to move away from our group and I pointed out to him the 2000 baht fine poster on the wall and he refused to stop smoking and even went to the bar to get permission to smoke in the bar. This problem was escalating and I told him if he refused to stop then I would stop him myself-he stopped so maybe he has learned his lesson, we will find out next time we are in the bar. The last time I had a problem like this and some guy refused to stop swearing in front of my wife in a bar, I took the appropriate action-he ended up in the gutter and he never returned to the bar and he was an ex-marine (or so he told me). 

Why are you hanging out in bars with your pregnant wife who dislikes swearing and smoking?

Why are you threatening and assaulting people in a bar?

Why would your wife marry such a man?

1 minute ago, hohososo said:

Why are you hanging out in bars with your pregnant wife who dislikes swearing and smoking?

Why are you threatening and assaulting people in a bar?

Why would your wife marry such a man?

He has nice tattoos...

6 hours ago, helloagain said:

Im afraid you are right. Its mostly the poor that smoke. In se sa ket i saw a bag of tabaco waist high for 800 baht. Thank god i never started

In Canada, antismoking efforts have been extremely successful over the past 20+ years, with any smoker the 1 in 10 outcast these days. I've always assumed this was generally the case in most western countries until coming to Thailand, where it seemed obvious the expat community was a smokers' throwback reminiscent of the '60s.

Any explanations? I get "smokes are cheap", but most folks I know wouldn't smoke if they were free.

26 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

When I was a young lad,my father said to me,if you don't start

smoking,at 18 ,I will give you a 1000 quid,so at 18 i said where's

my 1000  quid,he said i have already saved you more than that

by not smoking,never got the 1000,never smoked,the better for

it i would say.

regards worgeordie

A nice one. I wish my dad would have done with me. It's statistically as difficult to quit smoking than quitting the abuse of heroin after a long time use/abuse. 

4 hours ago, hocuspocus said:

Had an argument with some guy last week in a bar as he was smoking very close to my pregnant wife with total disregard to anybody else and our unborn baby. I asked him politely to stop smoking as my wife had to move away from our group and I pointed out to him the 2000 baht fine poster on the wall and he refused to stop smoking and even went to the bar to get permission to smoke in the bar. This problem was escalating and I told him if he refused to stop then I would stop him myself-he stopped so maybe he has learned his lesson, we will find out next time we are in the bar. The last time I had a problem like this and some guy refused to stop swearing in front of my wife in a bar, I took the appropriate action-he ended up in the gutter and he never returned to the bar and he was an ex-marine (or so he told me). 

5555 good dramatisation there made me laugh thanks

Hope you had a good sleep after your dream.

7 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

I actually know someone with a minimart that does just this (sells individual cigarettes at a profit) Amazing Thailand.

all mom n pops  do this

4 hours ago, hocuspocus said:

Nice. I like a man who stands his ground. Good on you. Smoking in public is rather obnoxious. It is such a filthy habit. If someone wants to pollute their body, and cause themselves premature death, and disease, it is up to them. But, why inflict that on innocent bystanders? And why not have a little sensitivity to others, when you are committing that most foul of habits? There is a world around you. The worst offense of all is people who smoke in restaurants. Why not exercise a tiny, modest amount of self discipline, and leave the cancer sticks alone for an hour? Is that too much to ask? 

Edited by spidermike007

Just like enforcement of no-smoking in many bars. Won't happen. Gotta love it when patrons sit right next to large No Smoking signs, endlessly puffing away. Then I quietly take my business elsewhere.... Server asks why you go? I simply point and she doesn't get it.

11 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Unfortunately for this country, the authorities just don't understand almost anything...!

Yes they do

Thats why the jails are so full, its the answer to everything in the Hub of Deception

Except for those with money who really should be in jail

7 hours ago, hocuspocus said:

I have a mate in the marines that plays a clarinet.

Even though he also smokes, it is highly unlikely it was him that you assaulted. Unless you have someone beside your hospital bed typing for you of course...........................:smile:

Oh, that's the Royal Marines and not the US Marine Corp, not that it should make much difference.

On Friday, March 03, 2017 at 6:08 PM, Wilsonandson said:

Many countries around the globe are following America in its anti smoking laws. I don't really understand why?
Let people do what they want. If you want to increase your chances of dieing quicker then its up-to-you.

Leave people alone to make up their own life choices. All these laws and rules that we all need to abide by. You can't do squat. Relax the laws and let people have a little freedom. There's too much control of the masses.

It's like living in a world controlled by whinging do-gooders with their perfect little family and who never fart in public. Yuppies I think they call them.

I agree with you up to a point.  That point being when what you do in public interfers with my health, or enjoyment of living.

Case in point, I am alergic to tobacco smoke, especially cigarettes, as it gives me a headache, never mind the foul residual smell on my clothing, hair and skin.  So personally, I think no one should be allowed to smoke in ANY public space.   Those who do have no regard for others.  What you do in the privacy of your own home is entirely your own business, and if you want to slowly destroy your health, that is your decision, but you have no right to destroy mine.

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Nice. I like a man who stands his ground. Good on you. Smoking in public is rather obnoxious. It is such a filthy habit. If someone wants to pollute their body, and cause themselves premature death, and disease, it is up to them. But, why inflict that on innocent bystanders? And why not have a little sensitivity to others, when you are committing that most foul of habits? There is a world around you. The worst offense of all is people who smoke in restaurants. Why not exercise a tiny, modest amount of self discipline, and leave the cancer sticks alone for an hour? Is that too much to ask? 

Thats fair enough , but do you find it reasonable that the guy beats others up because he doesn't like their language ?

13 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Thats fair enough , but do you find it reasonable that the guy beats others up because he doesn't like their language ?

I think perhaps you are jumping to conclusions. Who said anything about language? Was there any reference to another language being spoken, other than the foul language of tobacco?

15 hours ago, skippy said:

Why is TV so Anti Thai ?

I don't think TV is, but posters on here are fed up with some of the rubbish that is pushed in their faces by people who could not run a pi>>up in a brewery. Many of the guys here where successful and retired early to a country they love, possible more than their own.

But too many  Lies, Corruption and racial practices, in time gets to you and so they say what they think. This in many cases is from experience and very true.

A beautiful country heading for destitution the way its going.

Sitting on the outside now (Less Stressful) after 30 years.

one comment comes to mind Had its day springs to mind sorry to say. RIP T

Edited by wakeupplease

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think perhaps you are jumping to conclusions. Who said anything about language? Was there any reference to another language being spoken, other than the foul language of tobacco?

Read the guys post , he beat a guy up for using bad language (swearing ) .

19 hours ago, chainarong said:

May as well raise the age to eighty for all the good it will do....................................:coffee1:

Leonard Cohen started smoking cigarettes at age 80, he died a couple of years later but it wasn't smoking related... 

Compared to some other countries here in the region, Thailand has relatively few smokers and generally they don't smoke on buses, in taxis or other enclosed areas. 

An interesting thread. Thailand reminds me of the UK of my youth when most of my friends smoked and you could cut the air in the pub with a knife..... Of course those men have now retired to Thailand and continue to smoke just the same in bars and restaurants - it's almost impossible to get a smoke free breakfast in Udon, Sakon, or Nong Khai........

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Thaivisa Connect mobile app