New law raises minimum age of smokers to 20 in bid to discourage youths

rooster59

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Essaybloke said:

I think the answer is a combination of education of kids (especially), BIG hikes in the price of smokes, a total ban on smoking in public venues (including motor vehicles with children inside) and a ban on advertising and limits to corporate sponsorship.

I have been around long enough to see the enormous cultural shift in Australia from the mid 70's when governments really put the foot down to the present day where smoking is something of a social anomaly.

Well said sadly the mid 70's are gone. This is nothing but a stop gap measure and as you point out education is the answer say a field trip for older students to a cancer ward. Lets get real. As older smokers can attest to once hooked your hooked and its a B to get off. I never started thank God. In my condo idiots smoke in the hallways sitting on steps puffing away rather than stink up their unit. Its a dog eat dog world out there meism is first and to H with the rest of you. 

1 hour ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Same with alcohol. Bar girls must be 18 to work, but cannot drink with customers until they are 20. Can be barfined though at 18! :smile:

You need to be Thai to understand their logic. For them it makes perfect sense.

Thailand has many many laws, mostly completely ignored by everyone including the police.  This will be just another law that will bring extra Tea money to the BIB.  If they were really concerned about young peoples health they would make them prohibitively expensive and/or ban smoking from everywhere except a persons own home and even then ban it there if there are children under the age of 20. And yes another Thai law states just that.

1 minute ago, esprit said:

Thailand has many many laws, mostly completely ignored by everyone including the police.  This will be just another law that will bring extra Tea money to the BIB.  If they were really concerned about young peoples health they would make them prohibitively expensive and/or ban smoking from everywhere except a persons own home and even then ban it there if there are children under the age of 20. And yes another Thai law states just that.

like in Africa ? 

A good law in my opinion.

Parents should take their young children to intensive care to see the last few days of a smoker's life while connected to a machine to breath. That is what I witnessed when my best friend, a heavy smoker was in his final last day.  He died 20 years too soon and spent a fortune on cigarettes to kill himself.  As I look back he was a smart guy and he knew the risks from smoking.  I told him he was a long term suicide and he agreed! He even asked the nurses for cigarettes.

Or take them to a hospice and watch the smokers walking around connected to portable oxygen containers. And many still smoke! Some are young!

With all the medical evidence, warnings and court testimony from expert witnesses/ whistleblowers, who worked as chemists in the cigarette industry, it shocks me to see people smoke.  

If people could just stop smoking early in their life, and wisely  invested the saved money over the years from buying cigarettes, they could probably retire many years earlier. 

It's a disgusting habit and the discarded filtered smoked cigarettes litter the world.

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Education is never impossible...... it works in the west.

Education may be too late for many current smokers but at least educate the next generations.

Never said it was impossible--even with Thais!  I did say it must start BEFORE one smoked, drove a vehicle or drank!  Same applies of course to drugs.  Too late once people have started!

The new law also stipulates that people who sell cigarettes must be at least 18 years old and each cigarette pack must contain 20 cigarettes, prohibiting the sale of individual cigarettes. 

They seem to be on LSD. An 18-year-old may sell fags to 20 + year olds. "Prohibiting the sale of individual cigarettes" sounds a lot like tobacco manufacturers paid some good Bakshish.

Me so stupid. Me think people only buy two, or three fags because they have no money to buy a packet, or perhaps a carton.

The hub of weird new laws nobody's following. :stoner:

Edited by ajarngreg

8 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Never said it was impossible--even with Thais!  I did say it must start BEFORE one smoked, drove a vehicle or drank!  Same applies of course to drugs.  Too late once people have started!

Even with Thais????.

Are you suggesting that Thais are a lower class of people than you for example? 

The idea is great. Just have to follow up and make the shops responsible for breaking the law if they sell to underaged persons.
This idea and extra 10000 Bath fine plus loss of the right to sell tobacco for the shops that break the rules plus people who really enforce it.
Then it just might have the same chance like getting a lead sink to float.

The chances of this law being enforced by this administration are next to zero. Little P. is the master of the 48 hour law. Pass a law, and 48 hours later it is completely forgotten. Same applies to his edicts, crackdowns, sweeping changes, and cleanups. All forgotten 48 hours later, and on the a new crackdown. At least one a day. That way the people feel as if he is actually doing something productive. 

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

The chances of this law being enforced by this administration are next to zero. Little P. is the master of the 48 hour law. Pass a law, and 48 hours later it is completely forgotten. Same applies to his edicts, crackdowns, sweeping changes, and cleanups. All forgotten 48 hours later, and on the a new crackdown. At least one a day. That way the people feel as if he is actually doing something productive. 

Had an argument with some guy last week in a bar as he was smoking very close to my pregnant wife with total disregard to anybody else and our unborn baby. I asked him politely to stop smoking as my wife had to move away from our group and I pointed out to him the 2000 baht fine poster on the wall and he refused to stop smoking and even went to the bar to get permission to smoke in the bar. This problem was escalating and I told him if he refused to stop then I would stop him myself-he stopped so maybe he has learned his lesson, we will find out next time we are in the bar. The last time I had a problem like this and some guy refused to stop swearing in front of my wife in a bar, I took the appropriate action-he ended up in the gutter and he never returned to the bar and he was an ex-marine (or so he told me). 

10 hours ago, trogers said:

Those ma and pa stores are shaking...

actually to our surprise two days ago we and the other shop in our village who sell cigarettes, had a visit from the police giving us leaflets to display about this new law. They also outlined to us the penalty should we not follow it. 

we never sell individual ciggies only full packets. It won't stop youngsters smoking they just get someone to buy them for them.  We have CCTV in shop so we are not unduly worried as we can prove we sell only to adults.

2 hours ago, hocuspocus said:

Had an argument with some guy last week in a bar as he was smoking very close to my pregnant wife with total disregard to anybody else and our unborn baby. I asked him politely to stop smoking as my wife had to move away from our group and I pointed out to him the 2000 baht fine poster on the wall and he refused to stop smoking and even went to the bar to get permission to smoke in the bar. This problem was escalating and I told him if he refused to stop then I would stop him myself-he stopped so maybe he has learned his lesson, we will find out next time we are in the bar. The last time I had a problem like this and some guy refused to stop swearing in front of my wife in a bar, I took the appropriate action-he ended up in the gutter and he never returned to the bar and he was an ex-marine (or so he told me). 

Then you also need help, threatening physical violence or fighting in a bar because you can't get your own way is also totally wrong.  Let's hope your child understand how to refrain from physical violence and doesn't learn your bad habits or those of the others in that bar!

3 hours ago, ajarngreg said:

Even with Thais????.

Are you suggesting that Thais are a lower class of people than you for example? 

Only YOU mentioned class!  Thais largely are just not interested in learning or obeying! Laws do not apply to so many of them-so they think.

I always find it quite amusing that some countries let their 18 year olds go to war, allow them to own and fire weapons, drive cars, vote etc. but not let them buy alcohol or cigarettes until they are 20/21.:shock1:

Edited by longtom
edited for slight incontistency

1 minute ago, longtom said:

I always find it quite amusing that some countries let their 18 year olds go to war, allow them to own and fire weapons, drive cars, vote etc. but not let them buy alcohol or cigarettes until they are 21.:shock1:

And almost everything that's not allowed makes it even more interesting. Gosshh.

I can't believe that you've got to be 20 to make your driver's license for a car, but you could be  tank driver in the Army before that age?

Edited by ajarngreg

When I was a young lad,my father said to me,if you don't start

smoking,at 18 ,I will give you a 1000 quid,so at 18 i said where's

my 1000  quid,he said i have already saved you more than that

by not smoking,never got the 1000,never smoked,the better for

it i would say.

regards worgeordie

36 minutes ago, longtom said:

I always find it quite amusing that some countries let their 18 year olds go to war, allow them to own and fire weapons, drive cars, vote etc. but not let them buy alcohol or cigarettes until they are 20/21.:shock1:

You are allowed to kill others but not yourself!