Rejected entry at Savannakhet land border(SETV)

20 minutes ago, JayBird said:

It's not a matter of whether he is aiding the economy or not.  Not a matter if he's doing no harm.  Not a matter if there is a thousand good reasons for him to be in Thailand 0 reasons to not let him in.  All that matters is that the IO believes he is not a tourist and therefore can refuse to let him in.

They would rather have a drunk stabbing poor tourist falling down in Pattaya beer bars, than have a middle aged person who minds their own business and contributes millions per year to the economy.

Reason has nothing to do with it :)

I do see your point, lack of common sense from those in authority, not surprising considering the country we are in.

26 minutes ago, jspill said:

Source? Where is that stated anywhere? Every announcement, if any, like the ones about in/outs with visa exempts, has stated the reason is illegal workers.

You may be using western thinking.  Try a different approach:

Guilty until proven innocent.

If you are in Thailand for more than 30 days they will presume you are here for bad reasons (why you here, why you go so much, why you go so often, etc.).  It is not for them to understand you being in Thailand for any reason other than engaging in illegal activities, and will presume any attempt to say otherwise is a lie. 

Now, if you understand that that is their mentality, the rest of their actions make some sense.

Common sense is not necessarily common sense and does not apply to all people.  For some of us this makes sense:

You're rich, have means to support yourself, just want to enjoy a peaceful quiet life bothering no one, in Thailand.

For them, this makes no sense, they think:

You're rich.. why you go Thailand?  Why you not go somewhere else?  If you go Thailand to live what wrong with you?  What, you are under 50 and want stay long time in Thailand? That no make sense, you must lie!

This is when you need to start flashing cash.   Then the conversation goes:

Oooh, hello Sir! Welcome Sir! You are PE Visa! Yes, welcome welcome *bow* *bow* please enjoy Thailand *big smile*

Like all countries, Money Talks.  Just in Thailand, you only need a little Money to get that kind of attitude :)

Fortunately, aside from Immigration, the rest of the Thai people seem perfectly hospitable... well, except Pattaya Motobike drivers and Taxi drivers... grr :P

56 minutes ago, juice777 said:

Also he says he is a long time member but can't fine his log in at the moment for obvious reasons.

and it's laughable to suggest that they just went through three months of foregoing visa fees to lure more tourists here but then they immediately start imposing such unbelievable standards that it all comes down to if you have an  itinerary or hotel booking or

not  if you are allowed into the country:giggle:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayBird said:

They would rather have a drunk stabbing poor tourist falling down in Pattaya beer bars, than have a middle aged person who minds their own business and contributes millions per year to the economy.

If so, WHY they not kick out illegal workers? Within an hour I could find dozens only in Jomtien. It's really easy. Instead of doing the job, they prefer to harass tourists and shy away others.

Edited by alocacoc

1 hour ago, alocacoc said:

If so, WHY they not kick out illegal workers? Within an hour I could find dozens only in Jomtien. It's really easy. Instead of doing the job, they prefer to harass tourists and shy away others.

One would have to assume it is really about "illegal workers" - rather than this just being the excuse for the behavior.  They just opened up free-visas to entice more poorer-tourists (who would actually care if the visa was free) from certain countries, including China, while continuing to crack down on people from the West.  The "2 per calendar year" rule at land-borders doesn't count for residents of those bordering-countries, who work here by the tens of thousands - but does count for people from the West.  Draw your own conclusions.

20 hours ago, JayBird said:

Are you saying that you had an unused SETV in your passport and were denied entry?

I thought legally that was not possible (as you had the visa)?

There is no legality to it - It is up to the immigration officers at the point of entry, however, as Ubonjoe already stated, was the guy issued with a notification as to the reason for denial of entry - You sort of need that to legitimise things.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jip99 said:

It would seem fairer if the OP had been told "No more!"

Couldn't agree more, unfortunately that wasn't the case

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Did you get a form to sign for denial of entry and a stamp for it. If not you denial was not legit. Was the officer at the entry desk the only officer involved if that was the case.

I got no stamp or letter, did sign one piece of paper. Really can’t recall what exactly it said, something about denied entry…

22 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

@trappedinlao, since you have a valid visa, you can try the same border on a different day or a different land border.... Perhaps fly in?

In the mean time, can you provide a more thorough history of thailand entries in your current/previous passport for the last 3-5 years or so? Include any overstays. What type of visa? (visa exempt, setv, etc)

I don’t intend to go back at the moment maybe in time that feeling will change.Also wont be heading home, my GF is already in Vientiane now as she had to take her car back home and fly here from BKK. We plan on staying for week or two and maybe go to Philippines later. Still undecided…

In 2012 I had one triple entry tourist visa, in 2013-15 3x SETV+1exempt, and then 3xSETV from 2016-now, never overstayed. All my visas where issued in home country just last 2 SETV in Lao.

20 hours ago, JayBird said:

Are you saying that you had an unused SETV in your passport and were denied entry?

I thought legally that was not possible (as you had the visa)?

That is what I'm saying

10 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

" p.s. I'm a long time member of TV but can't locate my login details at the moment for obvious reasons  "

OP I'm just curious what is your normal username?

Honestly I would rather keep it private as that may reveal my identity and judging by responses of some sounds like a smarter thing to do.

10 hours ago, Briggsy said:

This is most odd.

Just 2 months ago I entered at Mukdahan. For those without visas (i.e. visa exempt) they were handing out a flyer stating only 2 visa exempts at land borders per calendar year (in line with govt. announcement) and then stamping them in.

It is only March. It is unlikely the OP is on his 3rd visa exempt land border entry.

So, either the report needs supporting evidence or Mukdahan have changed their approach.

Odd or not, this is what happened to me. Don’t know what kind of evidence would you like. I have hotel bookings from Mukdahan before leaving to Thailand and one night in Savannakhet + SETV issued at the embassy. Don’t see why anyone would be making this up…

8 hours ago, JackThompson said:

To the OP - how old are you, if I may ask?  Younger travelers seem to receive more scrutiny than older ones, from my reading.

8 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

declaration.png

My visit of Thailand was exclusively for pleasure as stated there

4 hours ago, juice777 said:

I think the mods should lock this one and tell the op to start a new Thread with his correct log In.

I might be going to Savannakhet in about a month and this Thread was seriously starting to make me think about where to get my Next Tourist Visa. I will now be assuming this is BS until the op starts the Thread again with his correct log in.

You are free to assume whatever you want as are the mods how will they handle this thread. I was unable to reach my login details as they where saved on my laptop(which my GF brought now) and frankly I don’t want to anymore.

p.s. new username as I can't recall yesterdays password and used temp email 

• Like 2

There is something up here even if it's not BS. At the moment its just a isolated case. There must be something the op is not aware of or not saying. I am not worried this can't be a new policy at the Savannakhet border or there would be quite a lot more Threads about this or at least more people commenting on this one. There must be quite a lot of people who go through that border crossing everyday with more then 3 Tourist visas and no one else is talking about it being a problem.when I go I meet loads of people with more then 3 Tourist visas so there must have been loads yesterday to.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, muzmurray said:

I was fairly sure that every entry point was on the immigrations system, so it would not matter where or how the OP tried to enter.

They are, but if the immigration officer didn't record anything on the system there is a good chance of entering elsewhere. The denial was discretionary and other  immigration officers probably won't be so strict.

14 minutes ago, trappedinlaoPhoenix said:

Couldn't agree more, unfortunately that wasn't the case

I got no stamp or letter, did sign one piece of paper. Really can’t recall what exactly it said, something about denied entry…

I don’t intend to go back at the moment maybe in time that feeling will change.Also wont be heading home, my GF is already in Vientiane now as she had to take her car back home and fly here from BKK. We plan on staying for week or two and maybe go to Philippines later. Still undecided…

In 2012 I had one triple entry tourist visa, in 2013-15 3x SETV+1exempt, and then 3xSETV from 2016-now, never overstayed. All my visas where issued in home country just last 2 SETV in Lao.

That is what I'm saying

Honestly I would rather keep it private as that may reveal my identity and judging by responses of some sounds like a smarter thing to do.

Odd or not, this is what happened to me. Don’t know what kind of evidence would you like. I have hotel bookings from Mukdahan before leaving to Thailand and one night in Savannakhet + SETV issued at the embassy. Don’t see why anyone would be making this up…

My visit of Thailand was exclusively for pleasure as stated there

You are free to assume whatever you want as are the mods how will they handle this thread. I was unable to reach my login details as they where saved on my laptop(which my GF brought now) and frankly I don’t want to anymore.

p.s. new username as I can't recall yesterdays password and used temp email 

Thank you for posting again. Of course, once again, you won't be believed by the usual doubters who have had it there way for so long they really cannot get there heads around that change is finally happening. 
I wish you luck in the future.

5 minutes ago, juice777 said:

There is something up here even if it's not BS. At the moment its just a isolated case. There must be something the op is not aware of or not saying. I am not worried this can't be a new policy at the Savannakhet border or there would be quite a lot more Threads about this or at least more people commenting on this one. There must be quite a lot of people who go through that border crossing everyday with more then 3 Tourist visas and no one else is talking about it being a problem.when I go I meet loads of people with more then 3 Tourist visas so there must have been loads yesterday to.

Can you blame anybody not posting here there experience when the OP has had some of the responses he did, basically calling him a liar and scaremonger? This forum doesn't get anywhere the information it could have because of the way people are treated and attempted to be belittled. Don't think for one nano second that because it's not reported here, it isn't happening.

Thank you for posting again. Of course, once again, you won't be believed by the usual doubters who have had it there way for so long they really cannot get there heads around that change is finally happening. 
I wish you luck in the future.

I think there is definitely a change happening. I just think there is something up here. The op can't/or don't want to use his real profile, no stamp or denile slip, got the visa no problem but dendied entry and no other Threads or post about this happening to anyone else. Also the Thread says started yesterday that was satday, most people don't hang around in Savannakhet for one day they can't wait to get out, all makes me think there is something else going on. And untill I here abou this happing again I will be taking it all with a peice of salt.

• Like 1

Can you blame anybody not posting here there experience when the OP has had some of the responses he did, basically calling him a liar and scaremonger? This forum doesn't get anywhere the information it could have because of the way people are treated and attempted to be belittled. Don't think for one nano second that because it's not reported here, it isn't happening.
[/quote maybe but I just think there would be more people talking about if that was the case. Savannakhet made you produce proof of funds and a ticket out of Thailand and There was loads of people talking about it on the first day. There is only one guy talking about this there is more to it .

5 hours ago, Tony125 said:

E.U. Lawmakers Call for End to Visa-Free Travel for Americans

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/03/world/europe/eu-visas-parliament-united-states.html?_r=0

I hope they do then Thailand and Asia will probably get a huge influx of Americans who don't want to spend the time to apply for a visa at some EU consulate/embassy somwhere in US

There is no EU consulate/ embassy

11 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

:coffee1:

You have just showed yourself up even more than before.

Lol I have just noticed your profile name. I see what that other poster was saying now when he said something like its just sales pitch for TE.

To the poster next time make this Thread on a day you would actually pick up your visa not on a Saturday.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, juice777 said:

Lol I have just noticed your profile name. I see what that other poster was saying now when he said something like its just sales pitch for TE.

To the poster next time make this Thread on a day you would actually pick up your visa not on a Saturday.

Trust me I have absolutely nothing to do with TE other than being a member but don't let the sales pitch talk get in the way of these people being in total denial. It just occurred to me to use that user name as I know how much certain posters here really hate the TE programme with a vengeance and would wet there pants if it was ever discontinued. Obviously the username winds them up but what they don't understand is that TE are a big sponsor of the site and every time these posters slate the programme, it does no more than give Thailand Elite more advertising :smile: 

11 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"Because there other options for long stayers of all ages",  Tell that to many of the under fifties who don't want to get married, and want to stay here long term, keep getting hassled at the airports and borders because authorities are too lazy too clamp down in the illegal employers and workers.

There are other options. If the other options don't suit, then there is one more and final option and that's to stay in a country where it does suit...such as the UK with there open border policy.....Hold on a minute though, there has just been a referendum there and won on an immigration issue to stop exactly what your looking to happen here. It's all getting a little fickle isn't it?

Edited by Lovethailandelite

29 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

There are other options. If the other options don't suit, then there is one more and final option and that's to stay in a country where it does suit...such as the UK with there open border policy.....Hold on a minute though, there has just been a referendum there and won on an immigration issue to stop exactly what your looking to happen here. It's all getting a little fickle isn't it?

Too melodramatic. Tourist visas are still a long term stay option if you're outside Thailand 2 or 3 months a year, i.e. do 2-3 week trips in between visas. 

Only those who try to spend as close to 365 days a year in thailand on tourist visas are affected.

And comparisons to the UK are ridiculous. We aren't trying to immigrate into Thailand, we're trying to be perpetual tourists and pump money into the economy. We are not here to work, claim benefits, or become citizens.

• Like 2

Seems that they only want people who can afford Thailand Elite visas, or who work here, or who are married / retired and meet all the ever changing requirements.

Rich guys in, poor guys out" seems to be the reasoning behind all the recent policy changes .....

• Like 1