bought car cash, got white plates, but told to wait for the bluebook?

Hi all, 

2 months back, I paid cash for a brand new Honda from Sathorn honda. Just last week I received my tax disk and white plate, but I was informed the bluebook will arrive a week or two after, how is that normal? I told the dealer what if I get stopped by police and I'm not able to provide registration? He answered just point at the tax disk, as it's recent police will know I'm still waiting for it...??? How can the bluebook not be ready But the plate and tax is? 

Also I'm still waiting for the honda VIP card, seems after sales services is a lot worse than pre-sale.

Anyone else experienced this? 

Edited by thaifoodruns

3 hours ago, thaifoodruns said:

I told the dealer what if I get stopped by police and I'm not able to provide registration?

The police never ask to see the blue book so relax. You have paid cash, got proper rego plates and a valid tax sticker within a couple of months. That's not bad for Thailand. When you get your blue book, keep it at home. Make a photo copy for the car if you want.

That's is normal in Thailand as sooner or later you with get your car bluebook and it's alright as long you still keep the purchase proof and you must keep a copy of the bluebook in the car under the Thai law at all time if not you will get fine if you come across road block by the police

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The police never ask to see the blue book so relax. You have paid cash, got proper rego plates and a valid tax sticker within a couple of months. That's not bad for Thailand. When you get your blue book, keep it at home. Make a photo copy for the car if you want.

Sorry to said that. They do have the right to ask for it and the Thai law said is a must and they can.

3 hours ago, thaifoodruns said:

seems after sales services is a lot worse than pre-sale

Welcome to Thailand.

I got my blue book at the same time as the tax disc and number plates and some other documents in Thai (no idea what they are). I never have the blue book with me but I do have a photocopy of it in the car.

3 hours ago, Anthony Loh said:

Sorry to said that. They do have the right to ask for it and the Thai law said is a must and they can.

Thai law says...

Implementation of this law is non-existent. If the police implemented it, there would be pressure on the LTD to do their job properly, and who knows how high in the food web that face would be lost.

7 hours ago, naboo said:

Thai law says...

Implementation of this law is non-existent. If the police implemented it, there would be pressure on the LTD to do their job properly, and who knows how high in the food web that face would be lost.

Don't drive to Khon Kaen then, where if you get stopped with a new vehicle on white plates or red plates they ask for blue book or proof of purchase :)

8 hours ago, naboo said:

Thai law says...

The law is from Thai TP department to ensure that all drivers need to have a copy in the vehicle for the TP to check at the time to proof that the vehicle is not the reported loss or stolen. It have nothing to do with the LTD.

Thanks for the reply and advice all!

just thought the bluebook and plates/tax come together, that's why I'm a bit worried. Everywhere in these forums says they arrive together. I'm going to phone him this week to push for it.

The copy of bluebook (whenever I get it), insurance, passport will be in the car and obviously will have my drivers license with me. Better be safe so they can't look for bribes if I get stopped.

I guess it's going to take me a while to get used to how "relaxed" everything is done here, if I didn't push my dealer, I will still be driving around in red plates.

Edited by thaifoodruns

So I was pretty excited when I called my agent this morning and told it was ready....when I arrived and opened the book, they have spelled my name wrong! 

He made me a photocopy of it anyways to keep until they change it again lol

Edited by thaifoodruns

So I was pretty excited when I called my agent this morning and told it was ready....when I arrived and opened the book, they have spelled my name wrong! 

He made me a photocopy of it anyways to keep until they change it again lol

Finally your got it but wrong name! This is Thailand, very common, hahaha! Just make sure you check it again when the agent call you back to ensure. Cheers

7 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah white plate and book usually arrive together and car will be on red plates until then.

I believe red plates are optional, I chose to drive without any plates when I got my new car.

Driving without plates is illegal.

I bought a new Civic from Sathorn Honda some 6 years ago

Service is still great. They take care of Insurance renewal.

Thais do not carry the blue book in the car, only a photocopy. 

28 minutes ago, nahkit said:

I believe red plates are optional, I chose to drive without any plates when I got my new car.

Either way brand new cars typically do not have white plates the day they leave the dealership, especially with no book.

Normal indeed. When you get the book photo copy relevant pages. Then put it in a safe place at home never put it in the car or leave it in there. Photocopy is perfectly acceptable. I put it in a folder with insurance papers (photocopy as well). I also keep a couple of extra copies of passport and any other relevant things you may need just in case.

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

Driving without plates is illegal.

I bought a new Civic from Sathorn Honda some 6 years ago

Service is still great. They take care of Insurance renewal.

Thais do not carry the blue book in the car, only a photocopy. 

Actually "No Plates" is not illegal - If you take the "proper" Thai driving test (Computer questions) - Despite what some may say, you can drive without plates - not recommended -  The main illegality here in Thailand is driving it without the TAX!

So if the OP has a current tax disc then he is fine. E.G. You cannot get a tax disc without the Blue Book / Ownership Docs or your insurance policy. So simply by the fact that he has a current tax disc establishes the car is registered and insured.

Previously in Thailand you used to have to have two stickers on your windscreen, one was for the current tax disc and the other was for the insurance. This is no longer required as if you don't have one, then you cannot get the other.

Edited by Formaleins

Actually "No Plates" is not illegal - If you take the "proper" Thai driving test (Computer questions) - Despite what some may say, you can drive without plates - not recommended -  The main illegality here in Thailand is driving it without the TAX!

So if the OP has a current tax disc then he is fine. E.G. You cannot get a tax disc without the Blue Book / Ownership Docs or your insurance policy. So simply by the fact that he has a current tax disc establishes the car is registered and insured.

Previously in Thailand you used to have to have two stickers on your windscreen, one was for the current tax disc and the other was for the insurance. This is no longer required as if you don't have one, then you cannot get the other.

Driving without plates is illegal, just as driving with fake red plates is illegal.

sent using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Driving without plates is illegal, just as driving with fake red plates is illegal.

sent using Tapatalk

Driving without plates on a new car is Not repeat not Illegal. Your supposed to have red plates given but you are not required to display them. 

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Whats the log book for then ?

By log book you mean blue book I presume. So I really don't understand your question as that's what this thread is about.! Care to expand your question please

Edited by Gonefortea

3 minutes ago, Gonefortea said:

By logging book you mean blue book I presume. So I really don't understand your question as that's what this thread is about.! Care to expand your question please

Real red plates have a log book, it is supposed to filled out for each trip.

Also there is driving restrictions with red plates.... something like cannot drive after dark or out of province but am no 100% sure on  that.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/35752-new-car-red-license-plates/

Edited by Don Mega

11 hours ago, JoeW said:

Don't drive to Khon Kaen then, where if you get stopped with a new vehicle on white plates or red plates they ask for blue book or proof of purchase :)

Never seen or heard of that in all the time I have been in kk. Driven with new car with no plates when stopped at checkpoints never a problem in fact never even been asked for plates or blue book.

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Real red plates have a log book, it is supposed to filled out for each trip.

Also there is driving restrictions with red plates.... something like cannot drive after dark or out of province but am no 100% sure on  that.

Sorry never heard of this have had two new cars in my time here never been given any form of log book with plates

1 minute ago, Gonefortea said:

Sorry never heard of this have had two new cars in my time here never been given any form of log book with plates

Same here, told book and plates usually 6 weeks. Drive out on red plates, 3000baht deposit returned when white plates arrive and red are handed back.

Hi all, 

2 months back, I paid cash for a brand new Honda from Sathorn honda. Just last week I received my tax disk and white plate, but I was informed the bluebook will arrive a week or two after, how is that normal? I told the dealer what if I get stopped by police and I'm not able to provide registration? He answered just point at the tax disk, as it's recent police will know I'm still waiting for it...??? How can the bluebook not be ready But the plate and tax is? 

Also I'm still waiting for the honda VIP card, seems after sales services is a lot worse than pre-sale.

Anyone else experienced this? 

What Honda and what price? What extras.I live near there and am looking at a civic rs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Same here, told book and plates usually 6 weeks. Drive out on red plates, 3000baht deposit returned when white plates arrive and red are handed back.

Which is why I never put the red plates in 5000bht deposit easily nicked. 5000bht gone West.