Thailand to collect 400-baht national park entrance fee from foreign visitors

webfact

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even if we were charged 4,000 thb there would still be trash everywhere.  I'm not bashing Thais, we had this problem in Australia especially along the highways where people would just throw rubbish out the window but the rubbish seems so much worse here.  

Isn't this the the same old bag that wants Pattaya to attract Jet-Ski tourists?

I doubt she's ever worn a bikini in her life, much less been on a jet ski, in Pattaya.

I suppose though, according to our/their Glorious Leader, she'd be safe in a bikini though.

Not one Baht, not a satung, not a brass razoo will they get from me...!

The standard tourist experience goes a little like this;   Get off the plane grab a taxi, ripped off.   Hotel room not just like the glossy photo's, ripped off.   Go out for dinner, ripped off, taxi back too hotel ripped off. grab a tuk tuk and go too the beach ripped off.

buy some fresh fruit ripped off. Go too a national park ripped off.  

Now just how can we get more tourists to come too Thailand and GET RIPPED OFF?

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

I might understand foreigners paying double but ten times is just greed and more than a days pay for thais.  It's like inviting friends around to your house and then charging them to come inside because you want to renovate the kitchen.  

I had loads of Thai coming to see my garden and make pictures...from now on it will be 400 baht to picture my garden for Thai, free for farang.

I'd love to open a restaurant in America and if a hi-so visitor from Thailand came in, I'd surprise them with a bill that was double the menu prices. When they called it out I'd explain that they're rich enough to travel overseas, therefore richer than the average American, so they should pay. 

;-)

Expect this to get worse. Only a small piece in the puzzle, the depleted national reserves, the recent discussion about alcohol and petrol tax increases, the double pricing sanctioned by the government, the so called cleanup of corrupt officials to get more of the money....they run out of it and further screw ups will only be a question of time. They are world champions in foot shooting, 2 at the same time, after all.

8 minutes ago, chivo said:

I'd love to open a restaurant in America and if a hi-so visitor from Thailand came in, I'd surprise them with a bill that was double the menu prices. When they called it out I'd explain that they're rich enough to travel overseas, therefore richer than the average American, so they should pay. 

;-)

Just write it to Mr Trump, he might do it. Also let them pay 220 baht for using the atm, they also let me pay that and Malaysia doesn't do that.

But not only Thai do this, also India (taj mahall) and Indonesia (bird park)....we can do it to them as well..an eye for an eye.

3 hours ago, Jessi said:

More discrimination by the Thai Government. Double pricing standards all over this Country.

The Government does it so all small business think its OK to rip off the tourist.

Yes you are so right. Its called thainesd. Write to your embasdy and ask them to do the same when thais want a visa. 20 times as much

She is as stupid as the argument that non Thais should pay 10 times the Thai price.

I guess her clan all benefit somehow from dual pricing, land grab, tea money or other exploitation so that she cannot see the wood for the trees.

No-one in their right mind thinks this is ok except those benefiting financially from such actions.

They won't be getting it from me .. but then again i try my best to avoid Tourist Thailand as much as i can anyway.  I hate the dual pricing.. i always ask "rakka Thai mai?" when i suspect i'm being quoted a Farang price.. if they don't come down.. i walk away and try the next vendor. 

Somebody should start a thread on TripAdvisor asking all farang to boycott. The average Farang /  Russian family on holiday will pay it thinking its normal.  

Do Thais double price Chinese tourists? Is there some kind of "fellow Asian" brotherhood that goes on? 

1 minute ago, SuwadeeS said:

I hope, everybody spread the word to the world. So, they lose all the tourist.

Double pricing. :post-4641-1156694606:

And what do you think they charge 10 times now....the tourists stay away already. Less customers, higher price, a typical example of Thai "logic". And that was the reason that the boat guys in Krabi went on the barricades. It will get worse, trust me.

"  improve the quality of the tourism industry by controlling the number of tourists, "

Its hard to see that this argument can be used as justification when the Thai price is 40 baht and more Thais obviously use NP than foreigners, especially during holiday times! 

For me a better way of doing this would be to add on a 200 baht fee at the airport (call it a national park tax) for all tourists which gives access to all national parks for the duration of the VoA / Tourist visa. A small caveat at the bottom would include - "access to NP granted in line with not exceeding maximum visitor numbers" (WTTE).  32 million (TAT Visitor predictions) x 200 is a good wedge of cash - far more i'd wager than is currently generated and it disguises the bad taste element of charging foreigners more. But more to the point actually promotes NP as proper tourist attraction which appears free!! So more people (and opportunities) will visit. 

Air Port tax funds are then allocated to individual NPs based on a pro rata basis of actual visitor numbers - and if more cash is generated it allows for more investment in conservation and remediation measures at NP as well as sustainable visitor facilities . 

Edited by jonclark

I wonder if their is any travel org that advise agents on the going's on in certain countries, Thailand of late has become a little basket case in one way or another , maybe it's time travel agents in the west started to advise their clients accordingly, trouble is not many travel agents would know about the fee's charged or other matters in respect of Thailand. all they're interested in is a sale............................................:coffee1: 

I can understand that the Government want to earn money on the tourists...

But why should Foreigners wit long term visa that have stayed here for many years also be punished..

I guess it is to complicated for the staff in the parks to check a passport for visa....

:jap:

In a way this is the easy solution to get rid of the low-budget tour groups tramping thru the national forests, just to be sure to make exceptions for "foreign workers" who pay more tax than average Thai citizens in Thailand, some places are allowing foreign worker to pay Thai prices to enter, as long as you have a valid Thai driver license or work permit.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Some people use their brains, some people dont use their brains.

This woman is in the latter category.

Always spouting sh..e about tourist numbers up, and doing things to stop tourists coming back.   

not enough brains to be an IDIOT.

She is as stupid as the argument that non Thais should pay 10 times the Thai price.

I guess her clan all benefit somehow from dual pricing, land grab, tea money or other exploitation so that she cannot see the wood for the trees.

No-one in their right mind thinks this is ok except those benefiting financially from such actions.

Not sure what the latest is on that but certainly her 'clan' were under investigation for land encroachment in khao Yai area - Chock Chai Farm is owned by a family member of hers.

4 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Well 1 thing Minister you won't be getting 400 baht from this little black duck or any foreign tourists that visit me !

Me neither. What a cheek. Haven't visited any double-pricing venus for ten years and haven't missed them even slightly. Their loss, but the Thai mind will never realise it.