Another passport renewal question & visa extension question

I am in Thailand on a O-A retirement visa that was entered on the last but one page in my UK passport. One side of a single page will be unused after the exit stamps are entered at the end of my current visa (in September).

I presume that I will need a new passport with unused pages if I apply renew the O-A visa or apply for another visa. I am on 90 day reporting and am thinking about applying for a new passport through the consular service in the Trendy building immediately after my next report. Is that a good idea? Is it effective (& practical)  to turn up at immigration with a current visa in a passport that had been superseded by a newly issued one. If I get a newly issued passport could I apply to renew the O-A in Thailand without it being compromised because it would seem that I am no longer normally resident in the UK?

Perhaps it would be more sensible to leave Thailand on my current passport, renew my passport in the UK and apply for the next visa from there.

I married to a Thai national & we had a child born since I arrived (4 months ago). I am named as father of the child on the birth certificate and have a marriage certificate. An O-A visa has been okay thus far but it would be better to be able to do the occasional piece of work as childcare gets less demanding. What visa would be better in this situation? Could I apply for a 1 year marriage extension with only one spare side available in my passport?

When the child is 18 months old, I work in the UK for 3 or 6 month spells I expect.

Finally, what proof of address would a Thai bank need? Our local amphur would not register me at our house without a witness & an independent translator so I only have a receipt for my 90 day reports thus far.  

Many thanks for your help everyone in advance & sorry if these are questions are too simple!!

You should apply for a new passport as soon as possible. You will have your old passport while waiting for the new one. You could do your 90 day report with the old passport.

Getting a new passport will have no effect on applying for an extension of stay at immigration.

When does your last one year entry from your OA visa run out? You cannot apply for an extension until the last 30 days of that entry.

You could apply for a one year extension based upon marriage without a problem. You will need to show 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months on the date you apply or proof of 40k baht. You can get a work permit and work with an extension based upon marriage.

Thanks for your advice ubonjoe.

The OA runs out in 6 months time in mid September. The OA visa says it is Non-Immigration. I presume that means it is intended that its users remain residents of their original countries & do not perpetually renew without returning home from year to year. Is that a correct understanding of its purpose or is it a bit too literal?

Sorry to ask these basic questions.

What proof of address do Thai banks need to open an account? The evidence of address I have in Thailand is only a receipt for 90 day notification unless I can find an independent interpreter & witness to come to the local amphur. The amphur was not clear whether my name could be recorded in our house book or what evidence these representation to them would generate. I had in mind at the time that I might need to open a bank account and apply for driving licence. The amphur couldn't really comment whether their process would help or if it had a benefit for them. They seemed to think it was unnecessary work if I was already registering every 90 days with Immigration - is that correct? (Great, if it is!) Or should we also file a form like TM30 "Notification Form for Housemaster, owner or possessor of the residence where alien has stayed" with immigration/or police as well?

Many thanks again, it is great help to be able to ask

4 minutes ago, 503726 said:

Thanks for your advice ubonjoe.

The OA runs out in 6 months time in mid September. The OA visa says it is Non-Immigration. I presume that means it is intended that its users remain residents of their original countries & do not perpetually renew without returning home from year to year. Is that a correct understanding of its purpose or is it a bit too literal?

Sorry to ask these basic questions.

What proof of address do Thai banks need to open an account? The evidence of address I have in Thailand is only a receipt for 90 day notification unless I can find an independent interpreter & witness to come to the local amphur. The amphur was not clear whether my name could be recorded in our house book or what evidence these representation to them would generate. I had in mind at the time that I might need to open a bank account and apply for driving licence. The amphur couldn't really comment whether their process would help or if it had a benefit for them. They seemed to think it was unnecessary work if I was already registering every 90 days with Immigration - is that correct? (Great, if it is!) Or should we also file a form like TM30 "Notification Form for Housemaster, owner or possessor of the residence where alien has stayed" with immigration/or police as well?

Many thanks again, it is great help to be able to ask

There is no requirement for a person to return to their home country to get a visa unless they are from a country that can only get any type Thai visa there. You can stay here without ever going to your home country by getting extensions of your permit to stay every year at immigration.

If your wife has a blue house book for your home you can get a yellow house book based upon hers. You cannot be entered in her house book.

Your wife can go to the bank with you and ct a your reference to open an account by showing her house book and ID card and signing a couple of forms.

Unless the immigration office for where you are living askes for it I would not worry about the TM30.