webfact

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, kennw said:

Overtaking from the left hand lane is unsafe and illegal in many countries. The blue pickup was wrong on several counts. 

Section 45 of the Land Traffic Act states that 

No Driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless:

a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is going to make a right turn. 

b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction

2 minutes ago, patyh said:

a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is going to make a right turn. 

I only thought it was three lanes because that's what was shown in the video I was shown 

Just now, sumrit said:

I only thought it was three lanes because that's what was shown in the video I was shown 

Video confirms 3 lanes.. So while the driver in the pick up may have drive like a maniac, the taxi driver would, unfortunately, share the blame as well. For being in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

4 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Incredible footage ... the guy in the blue truck was diving too fast and not only endangered himself but other people. Luckily, the other drivers did not pay a price for his recklessness and stupidity. 

Normal driving here....and the police do nothing!

10 minutes ago, patyh said:

So point b. clearly demonstrates that whoever wrote this particular clause is also partly responsible for the accident.  Who, in their right mind, would encourage overtaking in the lane closest to incoming merging traffic?  The same genius who decided u-turns on major roads were a good thing I suppose!

20 minutes ago, kennw said:

Overtaking from the left hand lane is unsafe and illegal in many countries. The blue pickup was wrong on several counts. 

You are wrong on several counts. 

Edited by Artisi

You see this reckless driving all the time, weaving in and out, undertaking and overtaking then trying to squeze into miniscule gaps causing other drivers to brake. Its a bad habit for a lot of impatient drivers who think they are formula 1 candidates. I also have a dash cam and i fully expect to record a scene of a similar nature at some stage......it too will be posted

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

8 minutes ago, gmac said:

So point b. clearly demonstrates that whoever wrote this particular clause is also partly responsible for the accident.  Who, in their right mind, would encourage overtaking in the lane closest to incoming merging traffic?  The same genius who decided u-turns on major roads were a good thing I suppose!

Ignoring the fact that the pick up was speeding and under taking.. And the taxi were to hit into him while merging.. The taxi would still be at fault. I do not think the law is meant to encourage driver to under take in the lane closest to incoming merging traffic, it simply provide a provision for driver to under take should it be required 

Very strange to me . I watched the video a few times and without a doubt it is the taxi drivers fault.The pickup was in his lane , did not move and was hit by the taxi joining his lane . Are you all blind or dont know how to drive. 
Better you say sorry for all the names you called the driver of the pickup as you are all wrong

My wife passed her license last week. She still can't drive... No wonder things like this happen.

Khunpa......same here, the lady friend passed hers a few months ago after 17 bours of lessons. She passed in a small car so i have been teaching her to drive my pick up on the training ground. I am amazed at what she did not get taught. No emergency stop training.....3 point turns.....roundabouts, reversing around a corner and she was never taught the simple task of mirror, signal, manoeuvre before turning and changing lanes. There is a roundabout near where i live and what a fiasco everytime u drive on it.......people just stop whilst going round to give way to the left so been training her on roundabouts and give way to the right not the left.......i know a lot of people drive bikes and cars without even having a licence, no wonder there are so many bad drivers and accidents.....and unfortunately it will continue!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Not only is it legal to undertake in thailand  it is in most counties if the traffic in the other lanes is going slower than normal ie lots of traffic etc. Also irrelevant what the laws are its what people do that counts and all drivers in thailand overtake in any lane and nearly all drivers hog the middle lane  so all thai know this and so does the taxi driver . It is illegal to drive the wrong way but every thai in this country does it . So the law is not always the same as practice and  should be learned accordingly. 
 When i first drove in thialand i nearly had lots of accident because i drove correctly and partly because i did not know what the thais where going to do . Now i know moslty what they will do and drive like a thai i am much safer

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

It's really not about 'give way to the right' it's about merging. The taxi who seems to be going a fair ol' speed cuts into traffic from the merging lane,  it seems without slowing and the fkd head in the pickup who does have the right of way but must be going 140kph+  doesn't slow down and slams into him. Merging traffic must yield but both go for the same piece of road and you can see the result. Inconsiderate, selfish Thai driving.

Not so sure,....does merge mean merge, or yield. Personally I think it means merge. Like

visual flight rules when flying. See and be seen and avoid each other. The car in front

has the right of way if the zen is for traffic to merge. If the zen is for the  joining traffic 

to yield then he has the right of way. The real problem is the lack of respect drivers have

for each other. The truck should have lifted off the gas. The road was ending for the taxi.

There was nowhere to go. If he had slammed on the breaks he would then have had

to merge onto the highway from a standing start. Highly unsafe. Even in north America

people do not understand what merge means, no one has the right of way. Respect each

other and avoid accidents.

The truck was speeding in the wrong lane (not that there is a lane for speeding)

And the taxi merged with not a care in the world, from the looks of things.

One was more stupider than the other, but either one of them could have prevented the end result... But TIT and the brains dont like to process to much information... Maybe the Chilli is burning brain cells just as much as booze... ~sic~

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

I haven't looked at the land traffic act for a long time but when I went to renew my Thai driving licence a couple of years ago we all had to watch a video of the 'rules of the road' a 'awareness' on the road. There was a section dedicated to the correct procedure on changing lanes and joining a major road from a filter lane. Watch the video instead of falling asleep next time you renew your Thai licence. :thumbsup::smile:

Having driven in Thailand for over 10 years, and obtained 3 car driving licences, I am fairly familiar with the 'rules of the road'. I just thought you might be able to quote the 'law'....................... clearly, I was wrong :thumbsup:

To me it looks that the taxi coming up to the lane was wrong. He just came up into the lane, the blue car was already driving. He should have slowed down, not the other one. The blue car couldn't go to the right as there were some cars driving. He's the victim in my opinion!

6 minutes ago, Thaijack2014 said:

To me it looks that the taxi coming up to the lane was wrong. He just came up into the lane, the blue car was already driving. He should have slowed down, not the other one. The blue car couldn't go to the right as there were some cars driving. He's the victim in my opinion!

From the video, it seems as though he tried to change lane upon knowing the taxi is just about as wise as he is and was shocked to find the right lane also being occupied so he jerk back left only to hit the taxi

4 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Until there are severe civil and criminal penalties enforced Thais have no fear for their actions and mandatory consequences....

the part i don't get is their inability to value their own life let alone others...

the gov needs to address that question of why not....

we don't use rule based approaches for AV's at all. it's AI. "new stuff". well......

Thai are trained with rules. so you get, we can imagine:  he yields to me.  big truck.  me here first. 

or just as bad, really.  speed causes accidents.  if you go slow you can talk, day dream, eat, snack....

notwithstanding that the Golden Rule of driving requires constant ****thinking****... and a Theory of Mind (other people's perspectives) etc etc..... to ALWAYS have at least one 'out' an dto know what it is BEFORE you have to use it INSTANTLY.

as for rule based driving.... IT DON'T WORK.  AND NOT JUST FOR DRIVING.  FOR LIFE.

Edited by maewang99

http://manager.co.th/asp-bin/viewgallery.aspx?newsid=9600000022781&imageid=4454960

A very violent, high speed impact with a steel, reinforced concrete barrier and I believe then inertia could even break seatbelt bolts, hardware, from the floorboards.

I doubt anyone survived that crash after examining the damage to the pickup.

And to think all the driver of the pick up had to do was slow down and yield to the taxi.

I feel for the passengers who did nothing wrong.

There is a lesson to be learned here.  If a driver is not driving safely, have the operator pull over, get out of the vehicle, and call for a taxi or the Police. Even if it is a bus.

3 minutes ago, Kabula said:

http://manager.co.th/asp-bin/viewgallery.aspx?newsid=9600000022781&imageid=4454960

A very violent, high speed impact with a steel, reinforced concrete barrier and I believe then inertia could even break seatbelt bolts, hardware, from the floorboards.

I doubt anyone survived that crash after examining the damage to the pickup.

And to think all the driver of the pick up had to do was slow down and yield to the taxi.

I feel for the passengers who did nothing wrong.

There is a lesson to be learned here.  If a driver is not driving safely, have the operator pull over, get out of the vehicle, and call for a taxi or the Police. Even if it is a bus.

No sympathy for the passengers....they chose to ride with

this idiot...I am sure he drove like this before...

I just cannot believe  how much time and accountability I have to give to drivers BEHIND me in this country. Ultimately you can be dead due to them or you can injure or kill them due to their stupidity even though you are doing the right thing. I am a driver who was taught to use my mirrors regularly, here, I am even more vigilant. This, I believe is a weakness in Thai driving. Car manufacturers could save a few baht by designing a Thai car without a rear view mirror, wing mirrors or indicators as are they are redundant on so many Thai cars based on the driving patterns of so many Thai and LAO (where I live) drivers.