TRUE - anybody been given 3 days to change to fiber or maybe lose internet connection?

mokwit

3 minutes ago, mokwit said:

True came and installed the fibre optic - they were able to use an old 2001 vintage UBC cable - so it seems what I really have is a cable modem - weren't those phased out in favour of the better ADSL?

Would be interested if AIS also uses the pencil thick cable i.e. same or different?

Yea, what you got is DOCSIS/cable internet.   True calls that fiber in the SuperSpeedFiber plans and the DOCSIS/cable does indeed connect into a fiber optics trunk line somewhere upstream of your residence....possibly kilometers away.   DOCSIS runs over coaxial cable and can handle very fast speeds like up to around 1 or 2Gb speed  plans....much, much faster than possible with ADSL.

ADSL is old technology that runs over phone lines and limited to around 20Mb...after that you have VDSL that is limited to about 80 to 100Mb and also runs over phone lines....then you get into the really high speed plans like DOCSIS and fiber optics that run over coaxial cable and fiber optics, respectively.    ADSL is a dying technology....being replaced by DOCSIS and fiber optics, but mostly fiber optics since fiber optics is cheaper than DOCSIS.  

Many buildings have TV coaxial cable and phone line installed but few older building have fiber optics installed.  Since you were lucky enough to have coaxial cable (i.e., TV cable) installed they are able to provided internet that way.....basically internet and TV over the same coaxial cable.