Uncontrolled burning in the north

Tigerfish99

4 hours ago, grollies said:

Interesting paper. The intro though talks about burning of dead leaves after harvest rather than burning through the crop before harvest as gonefortea was talking about and I see round here.

I think that post harvest the dead detrius is left on the ground and ploughed in.

I don't know enough about harvesting sugar cane to comment further. Maybe gonefortea could explain further. Mulching is always a good idea whether on a small veg plot, round tree bases or on large crop fields. IMHO.

Mulching would not be cost effective. Plus in our case the ground is only ploughed over every three years. We get two sometimes three good  yearly crops from one planting. One the third or fourth cutting we do it ourself. And use the cane  we cut for replanting. After we have cut cane everything left is turned into ground. We never burn (the sugar company gang do burn not us). We then replant the cut cane which starts the cycle again. In between we always fertilise the fields after the company burns and again 4 months into the growing cane.all organic fertiliser which is a bit more expensive but we like it. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Gonefortea said:

Mulching would not be cost effective. Plus in our case the ground is only ploughed over every three years. We get two sometimes three good  yearly crops from one planting. One the third or fourth cutting we do it ourself. And use the cane  we cut for replanting. After we have cut cane everything left is turned into ground. We never burn (the sugar company gang do burn not us). We then replant the cut cane which starts the cycle again. In between we always fertilise the fields after the company burns and again 4 months into the growing cane.all organic fertiliser which is a bit more expensive but we like it. 

Cheers. Farm rubber myself, only 1,000 trees at the moment. Got another 400-due to start tapping in 3-4 years. Meantime intercropped with banana. Just experimenting. Good fun though and keeps me fit!

1 hour ago, Gonefortea said:

You can quote tests till the cows come home it all depends on the soil. Mm I wonder if I've got the same soil as Vietnam and did they use chemicals on the land sometime in the past I wonder. I have already said the sugar is worth more unburnt. But once I've sold it upright not cut which I do if the gang wants to burn it so be it i have the money for unburnt. We all have our own way of working what suits one doesn't suit the other. But please don't quote about a study in another country. And 20 year old study really.

so you get a price per ton? then it gets burnt and youll lose weight in the total  sugar. crop...........your  not making sense, and what has a 20 year old study got to do with it being wrong, absolutely  nothing

3 minutes ago, kannot said:

so you get a price per ton? then it gets burnt and youll lose weight in the total  sugar. crop...........your  not making sense, and what has a 20 year old study got to do with it being wrong, absolutely  nothing

20 year old studies are obsolete not worth the paper it's printed on. So much has changed in 20 year's. Now as for the sugar it makes perfect sense seems you can't quite grasp what I'm telling you.

1. Company sugar buyer visits us at farm.

2. He checks the crop measures land.

3. He makes us an offer there and then for rhetoric full crop uncut (to be cut by company gang.

4. 5 days later money is deposited in our account full amount offered and accepted in number 3.

5. We ring buyer confirm payment he calls gang. They come look give us a date for start cutting. They come round the day before sometimes 2 days before and burn through the crop.

So we lose no money got it now.

16 minutes ago, Gonefortea said:

20 year old studies are obsolete not worth the paper it's printed on. So much has changed in 20 year's. Now as for the sugar it makes perfect sense seems you can't quite grasp what I'm telling you.

1. Company sugar buyer visits us at farm.

2. He checks the crop measures land.

3. He makes us an offer there and then for rhetoric full crop uncut (to be cut by company gang.

4. 5 days later money is deposited in our account full amount offered and accepted in number 3.

5. We ring buyer confirm payment he calls gang. They come look give us a date for start cutting. They come round the day before sometimes 2 days before and burn through the crop.

So we lose no money got it now.

"work out the tonew weight cost and then visit a local buyer " whats this for then? nothing wrong with the 20 year study are you saying any study done 20 years ago is  irrelevant if so virtually  all research done is obsolete.

32 minutes ago, kannot said:

"work out the tonew weight cost and then visit a local buyer " whats this for then? nothing wrong with the 20 year study are you saying any study done 20 years ago is  irrelevant if so virtually  all research done is obsolete.

That is true. Although off topic (I'm sure it will get deleted lol), look at the animal vaccination studies done in the late 70s. Took the world 30 odd years, Asia still wont accept it, to change their laws regarding annual vaccinations. Unless there are newer studies that debunk the 20 year old studies, then the assumption must be that they are still relevant. 

31 minutes ago, kannot said:

When we get the price from company guy we know fairly well what the tonage is from the land always within half a ton every year. So we divide the money offered by our estimate of tonnage.  Then go to a local buyer to see there ton price. Only once was it more cost effective to cut it ourself and sell it by the ton. As I keep saying over and over again we do not burn.

Twenty years old sureysenck from Vietnam regarding soil is worthless.

1 hour ago, Gonefortea said:

When we get the price from company guy we know fairly well what the tonage is from the land always within half a ton every year. So we divide the money offered by our estimate of tonnage.  Then go to a local buyer to see there ton price. Only once was it more cost effective to cut it ourself and sell it by the ton. As I keep saying over and over again we do not burn.

Twenty years old sureysenck from Vietnam regarding soil is worthless.

enjoyed winding you up, so its ok you dont burn it someone else does and you dont care..welcome to "your world" where everyone else's health from  the burning "you dont do" is irrelevant

1 hour ago, kannot said:

enjoyed winding you up, so its ok you dont burn it someone else does and you dont care..welcome to "your world" where everyone else's health from  the burning "you dont do" is irrelevant

Oh was it a wind up!! I thought you were just a bit slow on the uptake. And you are correct it is irrelevant what you think. PS sorry to say I wasn't wound up but just for you and Jesus I will pretend it did. There happy now. Now trot on 

2 hours ago, Gonefortea said:

Oh was it a wind up!! I thought you were just a bit slow on the uptake. And you are correct it is irrelevant what you think. PS sorry to say I wasn't wound up but just for you and Jesus I will pretend it did. There happy now. Now trot on 

better than just being "irrelevant":smile:

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/03/2017 at 1:07 PM, Gonefortea said:

Times changing?

See #680 onwards

• 5 weeks later...