Living in Laos and doing visa runs to Nong Khai

I have been living in Vientiane for the last four months on the 30 day visa on arrival. When it is time to get a new 30 day visa I go to Nong Khai for a few hours and then return to Vientiane, always in the same day. When crossing into Nong Khai I get a 30 day visa exempt stamp from Thai immigration. I got my second visa exempt stamp today for this calendar year. Above the first and second visa exempt stamp that I got this calendar year they wrote a '1' and a '2' and circled the number in red ink. What I am wondering is are they going to deny me entry the next time because I have had two visa exempt stamps considering that I always enter and leave Thailand in the same day, only staying a few hours each time. By looking at my passport they could clearly see I am doing a visa run for a new Lao visa and not living in Thailand on visa exempt stamps.

I understand that it is pretty much impossible to get a definitive answer to this question considering the way Thai immigration tends to function, but I am curious if anyone can offer any thoughts on this. I'm particularly interested in hearing from any other people living in Laos who are in a similar situation. There was a thread in January about the same topic by a foreigner living in Laos but the thread was closed. I understand that I could get the METV and then not have to worry about it but I would have to return to my country for that and I'm not planning on doing that at the moment. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to go and get a SETV next time just to go and spend a few hours in Nong Khai.

I think you will definitely be denied entry if you try for a 3rd visa exempt entry.

If you become resident in Laos you should be able to get a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa from the Vientiane Embassy. Until then you would need to get SETV's, which may be limited, to enter Thailand.

• Like 1

You are limited to two visa exempt  entries at land border crossing per calendar year.

Vientiane revised their requirements for a multiple entry tourist visa due to the new rule. 

See: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/iblock/200/200083c7a8ec48d063bea5e9038858a3.jpg

It seems you  may still not qualify for the METV but if you got a single entry tourist visa and single re-entry permit (1000 baht) you could get 2 entries from it possibley a 3rd by getting another re-entry permit if you timed it correctly.

Seems that you are doing the reverse of what many do FROM Thailand ....doing visa runs INTO Thailand  ( whilst usually most people do visa runs OUT OF Thailand.). Unfortunately however this WILL NOT be taken into consideration by Thai immigration on your next visit.

as stated by others...you will need to find a longer term solution to your situation.

What could happen ?? Worst case getting denied entry into Thailand. Question is, what would the Thais stamp into the passport, and is it good enough to get another entry into Laos? If the rules didn't change lately you can extend your Lao TV for up to 2 months for 1 or 2 dollars a day.

A similar idea than yours crossed my mind already, but a bit worse....Get visa exempt for Laos (15 days) so crossings would be every 2 weeks..LoL

2 minutes ago, jethro69 said:

What could happen ?? Worst case getting denied entry into Thailand. Question is, what would the Thais stamp into the passport, and is it good enough to get another entry into Laos? If the rules didn't change lately you can extend your Lao TV for up to 2 months for 1 or 2 dollars a day.

A similar idea than yours crossed my mind already, but a bit worse....Get visa exempt for Laos (15 days) so crossings would be every 2 weeks..LoL

I was wondering that too. If I went to Thailand and was denied entry could I get a new 30 day visa when returning to Laos. Then it wouldn't really matter if I was denied entry or not, I could get a new Lao visa either way. I think it's not the way to go but it did cross my mind. You can extend the Lao tourist visa for $2 a day.

My suggestion would be to just go on overstay in Lao. I've never ever seen a police officer in Vientiane, not saying there aren't any but I've never seen one in the many times I've been there, nor have I seen any military. If by some chance you run into the police just bs them, act like a tourist and say your passport is at the Thai consulate getting a visa.

4 hours ago, BkkWonTon said:

I was wondering that too. If I went to Thailand and was denied entry could I get a new 30 day visa when returning to Laos. Then it wouldn't really matter if I was denied entry or not, I could get a new Lao visa either way. I think it's not the way to go but it did cross my mind. You can extend the Lao tourist visa for $2 a day.

Laos immigration are aware of the 2 visa exempt entry limit. It's possible, and IMO probable, that Laos immigration wouldn't let you exit without a valid visa for Thailand.

• Like 1

I would not overstay in Laos... The Police is not a problem, but Immigration, when leaving, is a Huge problem...

You can always get a 1-year business visa, with a work-permit - there are a lot of companies offering this service - all legal - except you don't really work, anywhere... Cost is from $ 400 - $600.- per year.

You can not get an MRTV, unless you have a Lao 1-year visa and workpermit + can show THB 200,000 in a bank account (can be Lao, Thai etc.)

Edited by laochef
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, laochef said:

I would not overstay in Laos... The Police is not a problem, but Immigration, when leaving, is a Huge problem...

You can always get a 1-year business visa, with a work-permit - there are a lot of companies offering this service - all legal - except you don't really work, anywhere... Cost is from $ 400 - $600.- per year.

You can not get an MRTV, unless you have a Lao 1-year visa and workpermit + can show THB 200,000 in a bank account (can be Lao, Thai etc.)

Wrong, not as easy as you say to get a 1 year visa in Laos.

Just now, BsBs said:

Wrong, not as easy as you say to get a 1 year visa in Laos.

Actually he is right. I just got my one year Lao visa and work permit for $600 in Laos - the whole thing took a few weeks and all it took was some passport photos and some documents with passport. You have to leave the country and cross by land border back into the country when you present the document and you get the special visa in your passport. You have to wait up to 2 weeks without leaving the country to get the two books (stay book and work permit).

There are several companies who do this. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, laochef said:

Thanks, I had not heard of this option.

14 hours ago, jethro69 said:

On the other hand, did the OP considered a crossing into Vietnam or Cambodia ??

Vietnam and Cambodia would both work. There is no convenient way to get there overland and flying in and out of Vientiane is never cheap. Nong Khai is much more convenient being just across the river.

19 hours ago, ldiablo72 said:

My suggestion would be to just go on overstay in Lao. I've never ever seen a police officer in Vientiane, not saying there aren't any but I've never seen one in the many times I've been there, nor have I seen any military. If by some chance you run into the police just bs them, act like a tourist and say your passport is at the Thai consulate getting a visa.

Overstay is never a good option IMO. It just invites problems down the road.

Edited by BkkWonTon

18 hours ago, laochef said:

Using one of these visa companies to procure a Lao one year B2 business visa + work/stay permit booklet is NOT legal in Laos - unless you are properly employed by this visa company. The blue work permit and yellow stay permit booklets record your employer's name, your place of work and your job position. In all cases these are phony positions, often in totally different provinces to where you actually live.

If Lao immigration catches you out, you will be arrested and held until a big USD fine is paid - and then blacklisted and deported.

Edited by LuukKoeyKorat
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, jethro69 said:

On the other hand, did the OP considered a crossing into Vietnam or Cambodia ??

IF he is not able to live in Thailand he should also try to live in Cambodia which is so much easier and cheaper.

24 minutes ago, LuukKoeyKorat said:

Using one of these visa companies to procure a Lao one year B2 business visa + work/stay permit booklet is NOT legal in Laos - unless you are properly employed by this visa company. The blue work permit and yellow stay permit booklets record your employer's name, your place of work and your job position. In all cases these are phony positions, often in totally different provinces to where you actually live.

If Lao immigration catches you out, you will be arrested and held until a big USD fine is paid - and then blacklisted and deported.

This is what I heard before, but are we sure that the fine is so high ? Why are they more greedy than in Cambodia ?

In the past I liked Laos but now think that it's a useless country where someone must be brainless to go live and face all te hassle,

Thailand makes it difficult to live for the poor but at least it's the best place in the world where to live.

16 hours ago, humqdpf said:

Actually he is right. I just got my one year Lao visa and work permit for $600 in Laos - the whole thing took a few weeks and all it took was some passport photos and some documents with passport. You have to leave the country and cross by land border back into the country when you present the document and you get the special visa in your passport. You have to wait up to 2 weeks without leaving the country to get the two books (stay book and work permit).

There are several companies who do this. 

Enjoy it until you are caught. Sorry about it, you just lost $600.

9 minutes ago, BsBs said:

This is what I heard before, but are we sure that the fine is so high ? Why are they more greedy than in Cambodia ?

In the past I liked Laos but now think that it's a useless country where someone must be brainless to go live and face all te hassle,

Thailand makes it difficult to live for the poor but at least it's the best place in the world where to live.

I have lived and worked in Laos since 2011...and I can confirm :smile:... I have turned slightly brainless...