Two students, four teachers killed in bus accident in Prachinburi

webfact

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

I believe everybody is overhelmed by you expert knowledge. If people think and act the way like you seem to support, then it would be very sad for humanity and compassion.
Fortunately, I do not believe that too many agree with you.

"everybody is overhelmed by you expert knowledge" - really? or is it that you just don't understand? -  I presume you mean overwhelmed - sorry if it's just too much to take in

"If people think and act the way like you seem to support" - QED you don't

Sadly you have failed to counter a single argument I have presented - you are just gainsaying, which only emphasises your lack of understanding.

if you actually have a counter argument I would be glad to hear it.

Edited by Notadoctor

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

No valid comparison can be drawn. The UK doesn't have the preponderance of unregistered, uninsured and unlicensed motorbike drivers that make up the greater part of all road traffic fatalities here.

Again you don't even approach the basics of road safety - I think you don't even know the difference between road safety and driving. 

then you contradict yourself - you are using road dearths per 100 k to form your opinion - the UK figures are drawn from the same source using the same criteria - yet because they disagree with your "theory" (ha-ha0 you decide not to accept the comparison...therefore you accept no comparison and see the figures in isolation which renders them meaning less.

so how do you explain  - in non racist terms -  the fatalities? You might also want to look at other stats while you're at it.

what alarms me is that some of the comments on this thread are made y people who actually drive on Thai roads - with the apparent minute knowledge ofraod safety and an enormous arrogance they surely must presnt a real and present danger to other motorists.

30 minutes ago, Notadoctor said:

"everybody is overhelmed by you expert knowledge" - really? or is it that you just don't understand? -  I presume you mean overwhelmed - sorry if it's just too much to take in

"If people think and act the way like you seem to support" - QED you don't

Sadly you have failed to counter a single argument I have presented - you are just gainsaying, which only emphasises your lack of understanding.

if you actually have a counter argument I would be glad to hear it.

I am so sorry for my spelling. Yeah! I have a counter argument, and that is that you haven´t presented any argument. More than basically stating that it´s better to run than to help.
That´s no argument. It´s just pure stupidity!

5 hours ago, Maggusoil said:

This is a nice justification, but running away from the scene of an accident is very frequently reported here. I've even seen it on a highway cam, where the guilty party look around and walk and drive away. 

Yep... frequently reported on a news thread that reports crimes, funnily enough.

my favorite (partly because no one was physically harmed) is still the visa minivan driver who stopped near the border going to Ranong (?) and gathered up everyone's passport and did a runner with them, leaving the van occupants staring blankly at each other " say what?" .. lmao!

1 hour ago, Notadoctor said:

Your wild guessing is completely false - you have no understanding of road safety and think that apportioning blame is relevant.unfortunately the topic requires analytical thought and a bit of research - something you seem to have avoided. The UK has one of the lowest fatality rates on roads in the world yet has the same number of collisions and incidents as Thailand....so how would you explain that?

1/Apportioning blame is relevant

2/apportioning blame requires analytical thinking

3/UK high number of accidents vs low fatalities ( if your correct) can be solved with some of that analytical thinking your going on about.... try this....higher reporting rate of minor incidents .... feel free to continue, now that I've gotten you started (eg... wearing seat belts... wearing helmets etc etc)

4/.... oh... you ran out of points.

5 hours ago, Notadoctor said:

Your wild guessing is completely false - you have no understanding of road safety and think that apportioning blame is relevant.unfortunately the topic requires analytical thought and a bit of research - something you seem to have avoided. The UK has one of the lowest fatality rates on roads in the world yet has the same number of collisions and incidents as Thailand....so how would you explain that?

Okay,so show us your statistics backing up your claim that both countries have the same amount of collisions. Why hasn't it occurred to your 'analytical' brain to quote the difference in the number of motorcycle accidents between the two countries which would explain a lot of it. How about the difference in the level of preventive measures taken,like the wearing of proper crash helmets (or any helmet at all) ,the inability in the uk to continue your journey if caught without insurance or the car unroadworthy,the severe penalties for leaving the scene of an accident . You admit Thailand has the second worst road fatalities in the world but you simply put that down to the standard of the emergency services. That implies  every virtually every other third world state (think of Africa) has better emergency services. How's your analytical thinking coping with that? 

On 09/03/2017 at 2:18 PM, eddie61 said:

I wish someone would explain to these bus drivers about LOW GEAR on the downhill.. I always thought the rule was that you go downhill in the same gear as you would need to go up the same hill.. If he were in 2nd or 1st, he would not smoke the brakes, and if for some unexplained reason the brakes fail, he could pretty likely save the day by crashing into the hillside in a controlled way at slow speed, rather than whizzing down the ravine. 

Anyway, I guess that is a bit difficult, and I await the next accident.....

Where the 304 passes through the national parks the hillsides are no longer there in many places (due to the roadworks).

They have been chopped back 25-50 metres and there are now man-made gullies and ravines on the "hillward" side of the road.

It is frequently 1 lane each way, with no level hard shoulder or verge on either side.

One is effectively driving along the top of a winding, 2 lane causeway which, depending on ones direction of travel, is either rising or falling, sometimes quite steeply.

If you go off the road there is only.......down.

Edited by Enoon

10 hours ago, Notadoctor said:

Again you don't even approach the basics of road safety - I think you don't even know the difference between road safety and driving. 

Again? That was my first comment on your rather fallacious attempt at comparing UK road fatalities with Thailand's.

then you contradict yourself - you are using road dearths per 100 k to form your opinion - the UK figures are drawn from the same source using the same criteria - yet because they disagree with your "theory" (ha-ha0 you decide not to accept the comparison...therefore you accept no comparison and see the figures in isolation which renders them meaning less.

I only posted two sentences so have absolutely no clue as to how there's any contradiction as I haven't pulled any stats out of a hat. However, the comparison you suggest is still totally meaningless.

so how do you explain  - in non racist terms -  the fatalities? You might also want to look at other stats while you're at it.

What on earth has race got to do with anything either of us have stated?

what alarms me is that some of the comments on this thread are made y people who actually drive on Thai roads - with the apparent minute knowledge ofraod safety and an enormous arrogance they surely must presnt a real and present danger to other motorists.

No more arrogant and dangerous than presuming that drivers in the UK have a much better safety awareness than their Thai counterparts. They don't have to drive in Thailand where the daily hazards can be much, much more unexpected. In the UK, nobody drives motorbikes on the sidewalks or habitually drive on the hard shoulder in contra-flow traffic because it saves them time or overtake on blind bends or ignore the fact that their headlight or tail light has burned out.

One of the reasons I reckon I have safely navigated near a million kilometers all over Thailand is because I do not pretend that my non-Thai driving experience makes me better or more aware or in any way superior to the locals. I will even bend the rules like a local if it is the safest thing to do, such as not stopping at pedestrian crossings, or undertaking to get out of a bad situation that a fellow road user has created.

It's not rocket science, it's defensive driving but most times one has to defend much more aggressively here.

Complete disregard for personal safety, poor Driver/Rider training and competency/testing with total failure to apply the laws of the highway via pro-active policing = daily death on the roads, the countries leaders should be ashamed of the carnage past & present. Obviously they do not seem to care about any of it - Shameful!

21 hours ago, Get Real said:

I am so sorry for my spelling. Yeah! I have a counter argument, and that is that you haven´t presented any argument. More than basically stating that it´s better to run than to help.
That´s no argument. It´s just pure stupidity!

I think you might read my posts - if you see something you disagree with put forward a counter argument - unfortunately I don't see anything more than gainsaying nonsense.

Just now, Notadoctor said:

I think you might read my posts - if you see something you disagree with put forward a counter argument - unfortunately I don't see anything more than gainsaying nonsense.

Useless to even try. Have a nice day!

On 3/10/2017 at 11:38 AM, Notadoctor said:

This is schoolboy stuff -many people are starting from a racial perspective that sees Thai drivers as worse that TV members, (an arrogant false premise) others are just concentrating on or randomly blaming the driver is just totally non-productive......ALL road incidents (up to 97%) involve human error - usually by more than one party. the problem is how to prevent the situation arising in the first place - thisrequires a scientific analysis of the incident - which thew Thai police are 100% incapable of doing so until proper road safety science is adopted the situation will continue - you can lay blame all you like, it is unhelpful, ignorant of the situation and will change nothing.

who else do you think was responsible ? its obvious it was the driver i have seen many thai drivers of buses falling asleep at the wheel as they drive for long periods which is too long so if unless you can go to the bus station and tell them to shorten their hours NOTHING WILL CHANGE !  but at least we know who is responsible , wake up man and smell the coffee your hiding your head in the sand by not discussing who was responsible , its like someone saying muslim religion is not responsible for the terror attacks how much more could you be wrong ! it is,  as they wont change and update the religion so extremists will use the religion and twist the words , your doing the same putting your head in the sand and BEING IGNORANT OF THE PERSON WHO CAUSED THE ACCIDENT !

who else do you think was responsible ? its obvious it was the driver i have seen many thai drivers of buses falling asleep at the wheel as they drive for long periods which is too long so if unless you can go to the bus station and tell them to shorten their hours NOTHING WILL CHANGE !  but at least we know who is responsible , wake up man and smell the coffee your hiding your head in the sand by not discussing who was responsible , its like someone saying muslim religion is not responsible for the terror attacks how much more could you be wrong ! it is,  as they wont change and update the religion so extremists will use the religion and twist the words , your doing the same putting your head in the sand and BEING IGNORANT OF THE PERSON WHO CAUSED THE ACCIDENT !

Did you try to wake up the bus drivers who were apparently asleep?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

8 hours ago, nong38 said:

Just another ordinary in Thailand and why I dont travel by bus

Do you think it's safer in minivans or riding a bike?  In a big bus at least you have a chance to survive .  Only 5 people died out of 70 ?

If you want a "safe" transportatiom try the train .

2 hours ago, balo said:

Do you think it's safer in minivans or riding a bike?  In a big bus at least you have a chance to survive .  Only 5 people died out of 70 ?

If you want a "safe" transportatiom try the train .

I love train travel but the network needs updating, I know they are trying but running to time is not it seems a priority, its work in prgress and hopefully they will be on the way before I am gone, in the meantime its my own transport with good safety features ( European safety standards), drive defensively, look out for the idiots, take a break when you need one and hopefully arrive safely.

On 3/11/2017 at 0:46 PM, hottrader77 said:

The "expert witness" speaks!

On 9.3.2017 at 8:44 PM, exalll said:

These bloody buses! They develop brake failures all on their own. They lose balance at all the wrong moments. And they crash causing deaths. Something has to be done about them. 

and all of these problems occur on roads totally unknown to the busses  and their masters behind the wheel

Edited by thurien

1 hour ago, thurien said:

and all of these problems occur on roads totally unknown to the busses  and their masters behind the wheel

I think that there is a dearth of incident analysis here being replaced by a large dose of supposition.

The buses themselves are death traps. human error is usually the cause of most incidents - how serious they is down to the 5 "e"s .....blame game is a fools game.

On 3/11/2017 at 4:24 PM, roo860 said:

Did you try to wake up the bus drivers who were apparently asleep?

luckily i was not on a bus that the driver fell asleep and crashed into a shop building on sukhumvit road , it was in the news but you probably wont know as it was about 6 years ago you wont have been around 

luckily i was not on a bus that the driver fell asleep and crashed into a shop building on sukhumvit road , it was in the news but you probably wont know as it was about 6 years ago you wont have been around 

You said in a previous post you had seen bus drivers fall asleep whilst driving. I asked you, did you try to wake them up.

By the way been "around" since 1998.

2 hours ago, roo860 said:

You said in a previous post you had seen bus drivers fall asleep whilst driving. I asked you, did you try to wake them up.

By the way been "around" since 1998.

no i was too tired and falling asleep myself when i have been on a bus with a driver falling asleep , why are you thinking that its the passengers responsibility to wake a falling asleep driver up ? only someone thick would think that , have you seen a bus driver falling asleep before either here or your country ?

Edited by hottrader77
spelling

4 minutes ago, roo860 said:

If my life was in the hands of a driver falling asleep, of course I would wake him up! And no I have never seen a driver falling asleep on a bus here or anywhere else, I don't use buses in my home country.

so you have no experience of it as you have not seen any driver falling asleep and your trying to tell me what i should do when i have experience of it on your bike beginner . if you saw it often enough like i have you would not bother trying to wake a driver up all the time on every journey you go on try not to be green behind the ears 

I've seen it a couple of times roo... on both occasions, there's been an empty seat up front, so I've made my way forward and talked at / with the dozy bugger, to keep him awake, in the last couple of hours of a long trip.... that worked, and has been appreaciate by the bored driver ?