CNX Airport Expansion Plans - Serious Stuff: Ignore At Your Peril!

Greenside

OK, the thread title is a bit on the dramatic side but you need to do something on here to combat the overwhelming dominance of vitally important topics like Eggs Benedict and Hamburger Buns.

Citylife reported yesterday that the latest plans for CNX call for massive expansion with up to 34 flights per hour in peak times and an eventual aim of a traffic increase to 20m passengers a year.  A public meeting has been announced for those who are considered most affected, but  since it's to be held on the 14th of March you can't but suspect that AoT are hoping that most people will miss it.

People who live in Nimmenhamen, parts of Hang Dong and many other areas suffering from aircraft noise at the current levels probably need no urging to make their views known, but expansion of a city centre airport to the proposed size will have a serious impact on almost everyone living in town.  Additional burden on the already congested traffic situation, more noise, air pollution not to mention the likelihood of a serious accident over an urban area, is a major issue for us all and I urge as many TV readers as possible to go to the meeting if only to demonstrate the level of concern among the general public.  Don't let them ruin the city further without some kind of fight - don't we wish we'd done something more before the 30 meter billboards obstructed almost every attractive view in the area.

You can read the report here.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chiang Mai having a city centre airport is a big advantage for the city. Ground transportation and multi story car park needs sorting out but that applies to the whole city not just the airport. It's common all over the world for aircraft to fly over built up areas so that's not really an safety issue in 2017. If you don't like aircraft noise don't live at either end the runway. The rest of the city is hardly affected by aircraft noise. So imo I hope the airport remains in the city for a long time and I can continue to enjoy the convenience ince of it and low cost to many destinations. 

Edited by CNXBKKMAN
Spelling

Actually, the aircraft noise is really bad for quite a wide area either side of the takeoff flight path - ask anyone who lives in one of the west facing apartments in Hillside 4.

We live 4km from the airport, not under the flight path and are aware of planes all evening.  Not loud, I grant you, but at busy times it seems almost continuous and I feel sorry for those closer, even at the current levels.

The increased number of flights sounds like a lot but how does it compare to the current levers?

If it is a very large increase which seems likely it is possible that the areas currently effected by noise will be expanded, more flights taking off to the North over Nieman, more planes in holding patterns, different approachs used.....unless by some great good luck they just run higher volumes on the existing patterns.

Noise pollution does not get much attention here.

I live 1 mile from touch down every landing is 200m above my house and the noise is not that bad and you get used to it I choose to live there and quite like it .In the  UK I lived close to RAF Lyneham so maybe airports are in my blood. CNX may have the landing capacity but the terminal infrastructure is woeful and inadequate for the number of existing flights .  

Last year someone from AOT mentioned that there was a possibility to start operating 24 hours. Is that now scrapped or?

Also, is there any specifics on where new runways would be located? Can they go further south or is Hang Dong Road in the way? I live in Hang dong and I just want to know if it's time to sell the house :D With current levels there's no problem at all, but if they add a runway south of the existing one it would probably be horrible.

54 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

I live 1 mile from touch down every landing is 200m above my house and the noise is not that bad and you get used to it I choose to live there and quite like it .In the  UK I lived close to RAF Lyneham so maybe airports are in my blood. CNX may have the landing capacity but the terminal infrastructure is woeful and inadequate for the number of existing flights .  

Yes they always put the cart before the horse. 

Maybe we should give thanks for small mercies at least the government is spending some money outside of Bangkok. Yes the terminal is to small for the expansion and yes we need a decent transit system and infrastructure upgrades. In my next lifetime I guess. 

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

14 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

Try: Ready, Aim, FIRE(!) sequence, otherwise your target will fall over laughing. :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

err not neccessarily.  Fire Aim Ready is a business management or learning style (especially for children) that has been round for at least a decade.  With the context of the post.  Fire (start complaining about Airport noise and frequency or escalation of flights), Aim (Someone points out that where you decided to live is in an established flight route, near and airport, of an increasingly pupular destiination). Ready...(you are now fully aware of the facts and should understand the ramifications of your choice to reside where you reside)....a sort of "Action Learning" "Learning by doing" rather than Ready Aim Fire.

Off topic but the  IA (Immediate action) drill for rifles I remember the most was when the Instructor would yell out "Weapon fires, Weapon stops, Carry out the IAs" .  To which the response and action by all was "cock, lock look"....as in cock the rifle, lock the rifle and look.  The instructor would then yell out the fault to be tested.  If he yelled out "torn extraction", the response was "mag off, pack off piss off".  :smile:

Decency prevents me from response to "fix bayonets" instruction.

I am sorta happy if there are more flights.

Means there are possibly more choices to enter CM (for me) rather than through Bangkok (or via Singapore/KL).  Means there are potentially more destinations opening up for brief or quick holidays away (especially when burning season or say Songkran). Potentially means more money flowing into local economy, more jobs, more Thais learning English, keeps CM as primarily a tourist destination rather than massive industrial parks etc etc

It is rather ridiculous to mention the airport exists since 90 years. The traffic significantly increased only during the last 1, 2 years. Some years ago the last plane started at 24h+ and the earliest one at 7:05am. Now the noise of starts goes from 6am to 1am+. Thus the "silent" time is reduced 2, 3 hours, and this in the very recent time. Some planes (cargo?) take off even between 2am and 3am. In addition, the corridor became wider just during the last year (this is not from official reports but from my personal impression).

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Maybe we should give thanks for small mercies at least the government is spending some money outside of Bangkok. Yes the terminal is to small for the expansion and yes we need a decent transit system and infrastructure upgrades. In my next lifetime I guess. 

Why do I get the feeling that once the enlarged airport is up and running, and a few more thousand arrive per day, then some thought will be given to Immigration Dept requirements?

The new terminal at Phuket seems to be still suffering from overcrowding and long queues,.

25 minutes ago, AlfonsV said:

It is rather ridiculous to mention the airport exists since 90 years. The traffic significantly increased only during the last 1, 2 years. Some years ago the last plane started at 24h+ and the earliest one at 7:05am. Now the noise of starts goes from 6am to 1am+. Thus the "silent" time is reduced 2, 3 hours, and this in the very recent time. Some planes (cargo?) take off even between 2am and 3am. In addition, the corridor became wider just during the last year (this is not from official reports but from my personal impression).

I would think you would have to go back to October 2011 for the really numerically significant increase in vehicles and the Thai government rebate that was put in for new cars.  Every man and his (soi) dog went out and got a car and the 5 year rebates started to be redeemed just last year.  After the scheme was closed just after a year of operation there was a collapse in new car purchases that still has not caught up.  It has also been the main contributor to the increased consumer debt in Thailand...money to borrow cars.  Think Bill Clinton's everyone must have a house regardless of ability pay but on a more mobile basis.  Not unknown for people to have 1 million baht plus vehicles living in shanty housing with no running water or lecky.  Cash for clunkers without even a clunker ....

Edited by mamborobert

3 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

It's common all over the world for aircraft to fly over built up areas so that's not really an safety issue in 2017. 

Except Thai airlines continually fail to meet international saftey standards. 

Chiang Mai will struggle to accommodate such a large amount of people. It's already struggling. And really, do you see real public transportation happening here? Can't imagine they are going to take away a lane around the moat, or go above or below it.

Noise aside, such an increase will not end well for such a small city. Japan or S Korea could handle it, but the Thais.... not gonna happen.

One look at the intersection at Maya tells you everything you need to know about the future of Chiang Mai and the absolute lack of planning.

36 minutes ago, masuk said:

then some thought will be given to Immigration Dept requirements?

I for one hope not. It may serve to P*ss them off and they will not return. Water is getting scarce my toilet is constantly plugged and the traffic at times is a nightmare. 

1 hour ago, hobz said:

Only one year ago a new airport was proposed in Lamphun, what happened with that? 

Source:

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/new-international-airport-built-lamphun/

As always, some jack hole running his mouth with zero follow through or any chance of it happening. They get their 15 minutes and it's over.

Rain making will be announced at the beginning of the rain season, and the gov is going to crackdown again on x, y, and z. 

Is this an expand it  and they will come thing, where are all these

passengers coming from and going to .maybe they should get

public transport sorted out first,really get it sorted,not like the

failed attempts of the past.

regards worgeordie

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Is this an expand it  and they will come thing, where are all these

passengers coming from and going to .maybe they should get

public transport sorted out first,really get it sorted,not like the

failed attempts of the past.

regards worgeordie

Public transport has been great ever since uber and grab came to town... Oh wait....

If you don't like aircraft noise don't live at either end the runway. The rest of the city is hardly affected by aircraft noise.

Obviously, that's not true. 

Many planes make a turn as they ascend over highways 1001 and 118 about between the two ring roads. It doesn't rattle your fillings but it's worse now than it was just three years ago. 

Nevertheless, the airport is not really big enough for the increased traffic and certainly the parking lot (half full even at night) is far too small. Not to mention the narrow avenue along the pick up and drop off areas.