Coming into thailand with food

djxmx

7 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Biggest scam ever. Putting air holes in blocks of cheese i'my surprised some upstart in Thailand has not cottoned on.

Yea its a pure genius move by the Dutch traders, the demand was so high for our cheese that we had to add air otherwise we could not produce enough it was that popular.

7 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I think it is fair to describe them as inoffensive and quite bland.

Their cheese has the same qualities.:smile:

Yes opposed to offensively smelly.

But I would never describe the English like that.. if i were to describe them id describe them with copious amounts of alcohol. :post-4641-1156693976:

8 hours ago, djxmx said:

lol getting offtopic , whats the worst that can happen if i get stopped?

It does not get stopped, the point I wanted to make was that if you vacuum seal cheese you can even use the postal system and it will arrive ok, I am sure English cheese would not be any different. 

I am not sure but the Dutch cheese on sale here, Gouda and Edam are cheap bland cheeses, are the English cheddar cheeses for sale here as good as the ones in the UK ? I import the cheese because the quality and taste I can get home is far better.

I injected a bit of humor in my statement and it went exactly as I expected. 

6 hours ago, katana said:

Hi,

What cooler bag did you use that could keep meet cold for such a long journey? (ca 3.5k miles)

I bought a small soft sided Coleman with a zipper closure. since it was packed tight and the steaks were frozen rock solid it worked pretty well. plus the cargo hold is pretty damn cold on its own. it was a direct flight from Brisbane to BKK so I didn't have to worry about my bag sitting on the tarmac for a few hours in the heat. all in was about a 12 hour trip start to finish and the steaks were pretty much solid frozen when I got home. I wouldn't try this if I had a 3 hour layover somewhere hot, but since it was direct I though i'd be ok.

1 minute ago, phkauf said:

I bought a small soft sided Coleman with a zipper closure. since it was packed tight and the steaks were frozen rock solid it worked pretty well. plus the cargo hold is pretty damn cold on its own. it was a direct flight from Brisbane to BKK so I didn't have to worry about my bag sitting on the tarmac for a few hours in the heat. all in was about a 12 hour trip start to finish and the steaks were pretty much solid frozen when I got home. I wouldn't try this if I had a 3 hour layover somewhere hot, but since it was direct I though i'd be ok.

How bad is it for meat to warm up just a little, i assume its not great but it won't spoil right away. I mean its not since the last 200 years of so that we had freezers and stuff. Before that time we would not eat a whole cow in a day and I am sure the supply lines were not super good either. 

I am sure it would survive a longer trip if you consume it the same day or even the day afterwards. I prefer to have things chilled of course but I wonder if we sometimes are not a bit too worried. 

Next trip I would be bringing salami, no worries about going off any salami is silly prices and poor quality in Thailand.
There are a few places in pattaya that sell decent oz cheddar 2 kilo blocks for 750 baht. Reasonable enough

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, cheapskatesam said:

When i bring some cheese from the UK i plan to find the one with the longest use by date in the supermarket.. and i'll package it with one of these frozen blocks. 

4164f1zFG1L.jpg

Don't worry, just pack it in Tupperware containers to avoid it getting squashed.

I normally bring back up to 10 kg for myself and friends.

13 hours ago, robblok said:

Probably because you like many from the UK are a bit skint and never splashed out for some quality Dutch cheese :smile: 

Seriously.. do you see your Stilton in every shop outside of the UK.. as a matter of fact you don't see much UK cheese outside of the UK and certainly not a Stilton. You do see Dutch cheese outside of the Netherlands and you have just described 2 of them. Kinda shows that they are far more famous as your English muck. 

However the ones you most often see in shops are indeed those cheap Gouda and Edam and they are you "young" variety not aged at all and as you describe them correctly bland. Now if you spend some extra money for an old Amsterdam or others they will blow you away. Its just that the more expensive cheeses are a bit harder to get by. Why do you think I import them myself because they have good Dutch cheese here in the super markets ?

Oh I hope you understand that I am having some fun with you guys, nothing serious here.

No way would I call Gouda cheese "bland". It has a mild, very pleasant flavour, which is not an absence of flavour, but a distinct taste. That's the whole point. I hate strong tasting cheeses and probably they spoil your palate for milder varieties.

Gouda is my favourite. I'm surprised a Dutchman is denigrating one of the world's famous cheeses. They make gouda cheese in Australia and NZ too.

Just now, tropo said:

No way would I call Gouda cheese "bland". It has a mild, very pleasant flavour, which is not an absence of flavour, but a distinct taste. That's the whole point. I hate strong tasting cheeses and probably they spoil your palate for milder varieties.

Gouda is my favourite. I'm surprised a Dutchman is denigrating one of the world's famous cheeses. They make gouda cheese in Australia and NZ too.

The gouda sold here in the shops is bland, I don't like the gouda here in the shops at all. Its too "young". An older version of Gouda is far more tasty. The more mature gouda gets the better it tastes. But the stuff they sell here is almost not aged and I do find those bland.

Anyway I was taking the piss here a bit with the posters, I have eaten the cedar here.. and it tasted quite bad. But maybe just like the gouda and other cheeses there are grades in it.

I just received an other shipment of cheese today, 5kg medium to old aged.

But as i stated before its hard to discuss taste as we all differ in what we like. You seem to like the younger cheese that is good because it seems to be available everywhere. I was in the Makro and saw at least 3 different Dutch cheeses available but all not aged long. The only time I seen the more aged cheeses was in the more expensive malls. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

The gouda sold here in the shops is bland, I don't like the gouda here in the shops at all. Its too "young". An older version of Gouda is far more tasty. The more mature gouda gets the better it tastes. But the stuff they sell here is almost not aged and I do find those bland.

Anyway I was taking the piss here a bit with the posters, I have eaten the cedar here.. and it tasted quite bad. But maybe just like the gouda and other cheeses there are grades in it.

But as i stated before its hard to discuss taste as we all differ in what we like. You seem to like the younger cheese that is good because it seems to be available everywhere. I was in the Makro and saw at least 3 different Dutch cheeses available but all not aged long. The only time I seen the more aged cheeses was in the more expensive malls. 

No one's saying the Dutch don't make great cheese but it's not the cheese you eat that I jump off the plane for.

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

I'm probably nowhere the cheese connoisseur you are. Nothing would be further from my mind than importing cheese. I find the selection available in Thailand astounding and it Is hard to believe you can't find anything you like. Maybe there's a bigger choice in Pattaya due to the number of "immigrants" here.

Just now, tropo said:

I'm probably nowhere the cheese connoisseur you are. Nothing would be further from my mind than importing cheese. I find the selection available in Thailand astounding and it Is hard to believe you can't find anything you like. Maybe there's a bigger choice in Pattaya due to the number of "immigrants" here.

My dad gets the cheese straight from the factory they make it and sends it to me for free (i pay postage that is it). I have seen the cheese I like but the price is crazy expensive. It is about 4 times the price of the gouda you buy for the same mount. Even if I had to pay for it all inclusive postage it would still be cheap. 

I am not really a connoisseur, i just know what I like and that is the more mature cheese. A bit of gouda is nice once in a while but I just prefer the more mature. The really old stuff is nice too, though its a bit hard to cut (even with a cheese slicer). So because I am lazy i prefer to cheese just a little bit younger. I eat cheese 2 times a week with home made bread, my GF loves the cheese and I have taught her how to operate the bread machine so its a win win. I get served fresh bread with cheese and I don't have to do a thing.  I just supply the stuf. 

3 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Weird but in Thailand I never done it and the stick was once a favourite of mine.

Maybe because of the risk, I would not want to get caught with it. I have used it and other stuff back in the Netherlands here I am wary of it because it could mean deportation and jail.

If they legalize it i might try it again.. though it would seriously screw my diet, i get crazy hungry from it. 

11 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Don't worry, just pack it in Tupperware containers to avoid it getting squashed.

I normally bring back up to 10 kg for myself and friends.

Indeed, I mean my cheese can survive 7-10 days int he mail system (its vacuum sealed) so i doubt you need to take many precautions if you bring it in by plane. yourself.

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

My dad gets the cheese straight from the factory they make it and sends it to me for free (i pay postage that is it). I have seen the cheese I like but the price is crazy expensive. It is about 4 times the price of the gouda you buy for the same mount. Even if I had to pay for it all inclusive postage it would still be cheap. 

I am not really a connoisseur, i just know what I like and that is the more mature cheese. A bit of gouda is nice once in a while but I just prefer the more mature. The really old stuff is nice too, though its a bit hard to cut (even with a cheese slicer). So because I am lazy i prefer to cheese just a little bit younger. I eat cheese 2 times a week with home made bread, my GF loves the cheese and I have taught her how to operate the bread machine so its a win win. I get served fresh bread with cheese and I don't have to do a thing.  I just supply the stuf. 

LOL> now it all makes sense. I had this picture in my mind of you being so fussy about your cheese that you were paying more than double importing it compared to buying it here. Being Dutch in nature, I'd go without cheese if I had to do that LOL.

Now I better do some rowing to burn off those cheese calories I ate after reading this thread.:smile:

Edited by tropo

If they x-ray your case,and see the salami,you might

get charged for importing a dildo .

They only think they might get a bit iffy about is bringing

large quantity of tea,they told my daughter ok we will let

it go this time but don't bring any more again.

regards worgeordie

I enter at BKK with 3 boxes (I fly premium cabin this am allowed 3pcs) and usually 2 are almost all "food" or edible items... bottles of sauces, grated Parmesan, things like that. As I pack, I make a short inventory list of what's in each box..

My boxes are usually x-rayed in the green channel (the total value is less than 20,000, not for re-sale and in personal use amounts) ...
sometimes they'll ask something they see - and when that happens, I pull out my 3 pages of inventory and tell them.. that usually ends the questions .

Usually they just ask "how much cigarette?" And "how much alcohol?" To which I say zero and zero.

I show them my work permit and reentry stamps that show that I make 3 trips back home each year - so each trip is a semi resupply trip.

I have had one open box inspection and that lasted maybe 2 minutes -- just a cursory check of the top few "layers" of stuff.. all clearly food... no questions asked and they packed and re-sealed the box for me.

My experiences at BKK customs (note that the Excise department is a different entity, but I've not dealt with them at BKK) is that they're pretty straight forward and don't go looking for issues unless your items or story just don't match up.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 10/03/2017 at 8:28 PM, chickenslegs said:

I think it is fair to describe them as inoffensive and quite bland.

Their cheese has the same qualities.:smile:

Gouda to know.

Not that I give an Edam to be honest...

11  years coming in and out regularly, never been stopped ever, brought everything including 9  foot  ladders, petrol   blower,s petrol hedge  cutter, paint, food  chocolate, branston pickle,  enriched uranium plutonium.etc etc

Of all the times I've flown into BKK I never had my luggage questioned.  Thankfully.  On trips back from the US I'd stock up on things like multi-year supply of vitamins, goodies and condiments.

I would imagine that if somewhere in transit the luggage is run passed sniffer dogs they would go crazy at the smell of these meats you guys are bringing in.