Thai physicians warn against uncontrolled use of NSAIDs

webfact

Physicians warn against uncontrolled use of NSAIDs

BANGKOK, 10 March 2017 (NNT) – Physicians have warned the public over the use of Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAID), saying uncontrolled usage can lead to kidney damage, while calling for closer state regulation of remedies on the open market. 

Dr. Pison Jongtrakul, the head of a working panel for proper use of pharmaceuticals, has pointed out the Thai public has been misusing NSAIDs, which include readily available pain killers and anti-inflammation drugs. He elaborated that while they are designed for use in easing the symptoms of gout, migraines, aching joints and menstrual cramps, they are also being combined into herbal remedies that are not approved by the proper agencies. 

Uncontrolled use of NSAIDs can fatally damage the kidney and such drugs should only be used as prescribed by a physician. 

The Kidney Disease Association of Thailand has echoed the warning, while calling on relevant agencies to better control the production and advertising of herbal remedies and supplements, pointing out up to 8 million Thais have kidney disease possibly tied to misuse of NSAIDs with the figure likely to rise.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-03-10

Are these the same physicians who routinely give out NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Diclofenac, Aspirin, etc., just to mention a few) as if they were candies and for every little skin scratch or discomfort imaginable?

But I understand: As soon as they're shelled out by the bagful through a physician, it's considered "controlled usage" and thus save, a fact usually indicated by the horrendous price charged for those pills. It's quite the opposite if a patient buys the very same bagful of NSAIDS over the counter for just a few Baht, in which case it's "uncontrolled usage" and tremendously dangerous!

23 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Are these the same physicians who routinely give out NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Diclofenac, Aspirin, etc., just to mention a few) as if they were candies and for every little skin scratch or discomfort imaginable?

But I understand: As soon as they're shelled out by the bagful through a physician, it's considered "controlled usage" and thus save, a fact usually indicated by the horrendous price charged for those pills. It's quite the opposite if a patient buys the very same bagful of NSAIDS over the counter for just a few Baht, in which case it's "uncontrolled usage" and tremendously dangerous!

Yes those Thai pharmacists who can't speak a word english (so also not read descriptions on boxes).

I always buy imported medicines and want to get the description with it as well in english of course.

5 hours ago, farang62 said:

Ibuprofen, bufrin, noraproxin many more out there difficult to name them all. The list ls long and NSAID's are not controlled, but Tylenol with 0.5 mg Codine is, and that won't damage anything, go figure!

Thats because it is highly addictive and addictive substances have the tendency to damage people's lives, go figure. 

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

So many Thais I've met won't take an aspirin for a headache, but will go to the hospital and load up on antibiotics. 

The reason why is simple: you can't buy aspirin in Thailand. I wanted to buy in Prachuap, walked two pharmacies, went to local hospital and was told that it's controlled drug in Thailand.

Maybe a good thing after all seen how Thais (at large)  are big consumers of drugs.

37 minutes ago, AGLV0121 said:

The reason why is simple: you can't buy aspirin in Thailand. I wanted to buy in Prachuap, walked two pharmacies, went to local hospital and was told that it's controlled drug in Thailand.

Maybe a good thing after all seen how Thais (at large)  are big consumers of drugs.

Here in Hat Yai I can buy aspirin freely, no restrictions whatsoever. I usually have the 81mg ", the coated ones around

14 hours ago, farang62 said:

Ibuprofen, bufrin, noraproxin many more out there difficult to name them all. The list ls long and NSAID's are not controlled, but Tylenol with 0.5 mg Codine is, and that won't damage anything, go figure!

Tylenol/acetaminophen can be toxic and cause kidney damage as well if used in excess or in combination with other OTC medication.  I wouldn't mix Tylenol and aspirin, for example (pick one or the other) and I think you want to avoid Tylenol and alcohol as well.  

Naproxen is another popular OTC NSAID (Aleve).

Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) is an NSAID, but I've always thought it much safer than either acetaminophen or naproxen.  It's just prone to causing stomach irritation in some. 

"Bufrin"?  Do you mean bufferin?  That's just buffered aspirin I think - intended to mitigate the stomach irritation that regular aspirin can cause.  I think it's just aspirin mixed with the ingredients you might typically find in acid stomach remedies (magnesium oxide, aluminum hydroxide, etc.).

1 hour ago, hawker9000 said:

Tylenol/acetaminophen can be toxic and cause kidney damage as well if used in excess or in combination with other OTC medication.  I wouldn't mix Tylenol and aspirin, for example (pick one or the other) and I think you want to avoid Tylenol and alcohol as well.  

Naproxen is another popular OTC NSAID (Aleve).

Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) is an NSAID, but I've always thought it much safer than either acetaminophen or naproxen.  It's just prone to causing stomach irritation in some. 

"Bufrin"?  Do you mean bufferin?  That's just buffered aspirin I think - intended to mitigate the stomach irritation that regular aspirin can cause.  I think it's just aspirin mixed with the ingredients you might typically find in acid stomach remedies (magnesium oxide, aluminum hydroxide, etc.).

Brufen!!!  An anti-inflammatory medicine that must be taken only on a full stomach.

8 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

Here in Hat Yai I can buy aspirin freely, no restrictions whatsoever. I usually have the 81mg ", the coated ones around

Anyone can purchase Aspirin in Pattaya, 81mg or 100mg can be purchased.

You can't find 500mg Aspirin in Pattaya for love or money..if you go to the pharmacy they ask "for headache ? " if you say yes then they say no have......if you say for heart they reach into a deep hidden draw and produce a pack of 10 tiny tablets and ask for 80 baht !!

11 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

Here in Hat Yai I can buy aspirin freely

After the Prachuap episode at pharmacies and local hospital, and told I won't find it in Thailand, I presumed it was true.

Thanks for the info. Hope I don;t have to go to Hat Yai just for that reason though!

Edited by AGLV0121

The reason pharmacists do not like to dish out aspirin to people complaining of headaches is that one of the early symptoms of dengue fever is a headache and aspirin increases bleeding and increases the chance of hemorrhagic fever, the deadly complication of dengue.  Sorry, but pharmacists quite rightly take headaches seriously in Thailand.

44 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

For headaches take paracetamol.

For many, regularly taking paracetamol is actually the cause of their headaches, doctors in the UK now have new guidelines to recommend their patients who suffer regular headaches to try stopping taking any pain killers for at least a month.

6 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

For many, regularly taking paracetamol is actually the cause of their headaches, doctors in the UK now have new guidelines to recommend their patients who suffer regular headaches to try stopping taking any pain killers for at least a month.

I rarely take one but paracetamol beats aspirin.

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

I rarely take one but paracetamol beats aspirin.

I believe there has been a study which demonstrated that a banana was even better, the problem with pain killers is that at best they only offer some symptomatic relief and the problem can return once they wear off, sometimes worse, and that is how some people fall into a trap of taking paracetamol regularly, better to treat the cause, drink plenty of water and replace essential minerals.

Agree they are bad, all of them invluding aspirin and Tylenol.  The answer is not letting Dr's be the ones to control prescription.  Do you really expect people to see a Dr every time they want some light duty analgesic?  It certainly will make Dr's richer.  Spend some money on TV and newspaper to inform.  Impose labeling regulations.  Then people can work out for themselves if they want to risk their health ... like cigarettes, alcohol and soon to be cannibis.  Last thing needed is to build a nanny state.

3 minutes ago, chilli42 said:Agree they are bad, all of them invluding aspirin and Tylenol.  The answer is not letting Dr's be the ones to control prescription.  Do you really expect people to see a Dr every time they want some light duty analgesic?  It certainly will make Dr's richer.  Spend some money on TV and newspaper to inform.  Impose labeling regulations.  Then people can work out for themselves if they want to risk their health ... like cigarettes, alcohol and soon to be cannibis.  Last thing needed is to build a nanny state.

The point being to put people off and actually prevent people from getting analgesic drugs every time they simply want them, they have their use but at the moment they are being used as a choice by people who don't really need them.  I don't think anyone considers prescription drugs as being a symbol of the nanny state, why this drug, why not allow all drugs to be sold in 7-11 and just attempt to inform the public to the level of being a pharmacist through soap operas, is it because it is actually a completely stupid idea?

6 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

The point being to put people off and actually prevent people from getting analgesic drugs every time they simply want them, they have their use but at the moment they are being used as a choice by people who don't really need them.  I don't think anyone considers prescription drugs as being a symbol of the nanny state, why this drug, why not allow all drugs to be sold in 7-11 and just attempt to inform the public to the level of being a pharmacist through soap operas, is it because it is actually a completely stupid idea?

I don't think you have given the matter sufficient thought.  The subject is analgesics, so your hyperbole that the discussion pertsins to all drugs speaks to your mental laziness.   Dr's constantly prescribe medications to 'people who don't' really need them'.  Dr's have proven themselves to be a poor control mechanism for Rx drugs be that Thailand or the US (analgesics, antibiotics, heartburn drugs, cholesterol drugs etc).  I am sure you have visited a Dr's office in Thailand.  Is there a role for Dr's and Rx?  Yes, when ongoing physiological monitoring is required (e.g. Blood testing etc).  Taking an OTC class of drugs and reclassifying them as Rx is an added cost consumers in a poor country like Thailand can do without.

4 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

The reason pharmacists do not like to dish out aspirin to people complaining of headaches is that one of the early symptoms of dengue fever is a headache and aspirin increases bleeding and increases the chance of hemorrhagic fever, the deadly complication of dengue.  Sorry, but pharmacists quite rightly take headaches seriously in Thailand.

Very good point re aspirin vs dengue.

38 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

I don't think you have given the matter sufficient thought.  The subject is analgesics, so your hyperbole that the discussion pertsins to all drugs speaks to your mental laziness.   Dr's constantly prescribe medications to 'people who don't' really need them'.  Dr's have proven themselves to be a poor control mechanism for Rx drugs be that Thailand or the US (analgesics, antibiotics, heartburn drugs, cholesterol drugs etc).  I am sure you have visited a Dr's office in Thailand.  Is there a role for Dr's and Rx?  Yes, when ongoing physiological monitoring is required (e.g. Blood testing etc).  Taking an OTC class of drugs and reclassifying them as Rx is an added cost consumers in a poor country like Thailand can do without.

I just see it as a move to help the consumer who at present are being misled into thinking these drugs are a viable choice for their minor ailments and no doubt encouraged by poorly informed sellers, put it in the hands of doctors and good advice is more likely, the fact that some doctors over prescribe does nothing to suggest that pharmacists don't even more so.  You make the assumption that consumers will incur higher costs, when the likely reality is that this would result in a saving for the vast majority of current consumers as they will no longer be purchasing drugs that they do not actually need.

When I've had a few too many Leos and have a headache its better to take aspirin is it not ?

Misleading headline imo.

This isn't about NSAIDS being dangerous per se: it's about uncontrolled usage.  They elaborate as follows:

"while they are designed for use in easing the symptoms of gout, migraines, aching joints and menstrual cramps, they are also being combined into herbal remedies that are not approved by the proper agencies." 

So it's what most of us would cause abuse.  That can apply to a lot of substances.