Phuket man dies from flesh-eating bacteria from cat scratch

webfact

Phuket man dies from flesh-eating bacteria from cat scratch

The Phuket News

1489118011_1-org.jpg

Veera Pantip, who contracted flesh-eating bacteria from a neighbourhood cat scratch, died at Vachira Phuket Hospital yesterday (Mar 9). Photo: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET: -- The 63-year-old man who contracted flesh-eating bacteria from a cat scratch near his home in Rawai in January has died. Veera Pantip, a resident of passed away at Vachira Phuket Hospital yesterday (Mar 9), his family confirmed to The Phuket News.

Rungnapha Ngachan, Mr Veera’s daughter-in-law, also confirmed that Mr Veera, a Muslim, was buried yesterday in accordance with his beliefs.

“My condolences to Khun Nate (Mr Veera’s daughter). It is one of the saddest moments in my life,” Ms Rungnapha said.

“I miss him every time I see boats at the pier. After today I will not see him drive his boat back to us ever again,” she added.

Mr Veera was admitted to Vachira Hospital on Jan 18 after a scratch on his right shin and calf from a neighbourhood cat two days earlier had failed to heal.

He was soon diagnosed as having contracted necrotising fasciitis, a deadly flesh-eating bacteria, and had his right leg amputated in an attempt to prevent the disease from spreading.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-man-dies-from-flesh-eating-bacteria-from-cat-scratch-61335.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-03-10

I caught the same infection following a scratch caused by the video on demand box under the seat in front of me on a Thai Airways flight to Brisbane. The hospital in Coolangata decided that I was allergic to Penicillin and gave me Erythromycin and my the flesh eating bacteria were running riot so they said that they might have to cut my leg off. I insisted on Amoxicillin and it got slowly better. This is a dangerous disease and if your Doctors are not up to date on the latest antibiotic treatment you could lose your legs or even die from toxic shock. Cost me B1 Million for I.C.U. treatment.

The condition is an opportunistic one that affects wounds of all kinds, the wounding factor/element rarely being the origin of the bacteria. The scratch was the portal through which the bacteria entered.  It is more than likely that the cat was not the origin, merely the facilitator:

"The majority of infections are caused by organisms that normally reside on the individual's skin."

Necrotizing fasciitis - Wikipedia

ie. There is no Nf plague (or dangerous individual) in the feline population of Phuket.

Edited by Enoon

I have mentioned this before but a timely reminder.

If you get a scratch (even a small one, wash as soon as possible with  warm water with 5% Dettol.

Then apply Betadine 4 times a day unil healed.

Any sign of colouring around the wound, get to a reputable hospital ASAP

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

I have mentioned this before but a timely reminder.

If you get a scratch (even a small one, wash as soon as possible with  warm water with 5% Dettol.

Then apply Betadine 4 times a day unil healed.

Any sign of colouring around the wound, get to a reputable hospital ASAP

Sensible advice.

I have to admit I  am a bit careless  about quickly treating minor cuts and scratches even in the  knowledge that  many parts  of Thailand  soil  contain some very nasty things such as  melioidosis  which is  widespread in  the  northeast.

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Hydrogen Peroxide. Works wonders. Just flush out the wound in the very early stages.

repeat twice a day.

cost is 15 baht at Boots.

9 minutes ago, Lucky mike said:

Apply tea tree oil to any cut, has anti bacterial, anti fungal properties, cheap and works !

What a shame that nobody in the hospital contacted the TV doctors, because the man would still be alive, and all that for as little as 15 Baht and a TV membership

Its very serious

I watch pay tv regularly about Bugs inside me & this sounds like one of them

From a simple cat scratch because maybe from whats under its claws can be life threatening &( many of these seem to be in America) will kill unless tested by the infectious team unit 

5 hours ago, Enoon said:

The condition is an opportunistic one that affects wounds of all kinds, the wounding factor/element rarely being the origin of the bacteria. The scratch was the portal through which the bacteria entered.  It is more than likely that the cat was not the origin, merely the facilitator:

"The majority of infections are caused by organisms that normally reside on the individual's skin."

Necrotizing fasciitis - Wikipedia

ie. There is no Nf plague (or dangerous individual) in the feline population of Phuket.

Thanks for the insight DOCTOR 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr Veera was admitted to Vachira Hospital on Jan 18 after a scratch on his right shin and calf from a neighbourhood cat two days earlier had failed to heal.

Just a warning that when this happens you don't wait 2 days for treatment , any scratches from dogs or cats go directly to the hospital or you might end up like this poor man. 

On 10/03/2017 at 6:41 PM, Lucky mike said:

Apply tea tree oil to any cut, has anti bacterial, anti fungal properties, cheap and works !

I  can attest to that,  wonderful and very effective.