Type O Marriage Visa Changes ?

I have been reading some confusing information from the Thai Embassy websites in the United States concerning possible new changes with the Type O Marriage visas. As recently as September 2016 the Thai offices in America issued one year visas without the need of a Thai bank account requirement of 400,000 and you crossed a border leaving Thailand every 90 days. Or you had 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account and went to a local Thai office every 90 days. Also it was possible to travel to Savanakeet Laos once a year to apply for a new one year extendtion without the need of the 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account. If i understand the information on the websites as of today. You are issued 90 days and then you are to report to a local office afterwards and show that you have a bank account of 400,000 baht and other documents. So my question is. Are these new requirements correct? Also is it still possible to travel to Laos and still apply for a visa extendtion WITHOUT the need for 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account?

27 minutes ago, Anthony Loh said:

I never heard about this before,can show us the attachment ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Check the Thai embassy sites in L.A , Washington D.C, and in Savananket Laos . If i am reading them correctly they no longer offer multiple entry visas for marriage. Now after 90 days you report to the nearest office in Thailand . And showing proof of 400,000 baht is required. Before there were two ways to deal with it. Make a border run every 90 days which did NOT require 400,000 baht in a Thai bank. Or have 400,000 baht in  a Thai bank and report to an office. Seems this just changed over the last few months. I sure hope i am wrong.

The following is directly from the Thai Embassy web site in Washington DC and only deals with their requirements. I have personally talked to them and so has my wife. The funds can be in a Thai or US bank account.  700 USD is about 25,000 baht.

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O”

Purpose of Visit: Applicants who wish to stay with family in Thailand (Thai Family)
Applicants who wish for volunteering work with the state enterprises or social welfare organizations in Thailand  (Volunteering)

Documents Required for Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O” (Thai Family):
1. Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).
2. One visa application form completely filled out (black and blue ink only) (Download)
Two passport-size photographs (2″x2″) (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses and covering up shoulders. Photos must be taken within 6 months.
3. A copy of flight confirmation/reservation , showing going from US to Thailand  (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)
4. A copy of recent bank statement  ($700 per person and $1,500 per family) (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly) , In case of submitting family bank statement a proof of relationship (i.e. birth certificate, marriage certificate) must be provided.

5.For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa with a letter proof of employment ( **we don’t accept pay stubs**)
6. If you are a former Thai citizen, proof of Thai citizen such as Thai passport or Thai identification card
7. If you want to visit as a spouse or family member (spouse, son or daughter), proof of relationship such as a photocopy of marriage license or birth certificate with a proof that your spouse or family member is a Thai citizen such as as a photocopy of Thai passport or Thai identification card

8. For minor under 20 years old, please provide following documents
– Notarized copy of a birth certificate
– Notarized copy of marriage certificate , In case of sole custody notarized copy of court order must be provided.
– Notarized copy or original passports or ID of mother and father/ legal guardian
– Original letter of notarized consent for the minor to travel abroad from mother and father/ legal guardian

***All supporting materials that are not in English must be accompanied by certified English translations and certified by an embassy only ***

Processing time :

In person   5 business days
By mail       minimum 15 business days

***We do not offer expedited service***

Processing Fees:
Single entry              80 USD
Multiple entries       200 USD
Payable in money order (only) made payable to “Royal Thai Embassy”.
NO CASH, PERSONAL and BUSINESS CHECKS ACCEPTED

*** The fee is not refundable in any cases***

Period of stay: not exceeding 90 days.

*** Warning of overstay *** (please click)

Validity of a visa:
Single entry          3 months
Multiple entries    1 year

***A visa becomes effective from the date of issuance. Do not apply for the visa too early. If you apply too early the visa may expire before your trip and you will have to re-apply. The fee is not refundable***

Documents Required of Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O” (Volunteering)
1. Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).
2. One visa application form completely filled out (black and blue ink only) (Download)
Two passport-size photographs (2″x2″) (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses and covering up shoulders. Photos must be taken within 6 months.
3. A copy of flight confirmation/reservation , showing going from US to Thailand and leaving from Thailand (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)
4. A copy of recent bank statement ($700 per person and $1,500 per family) (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly) , In case of submitting family bank statement a proof of relationship (i.e. birth certificate, marriage certificate) must be provided.
5. For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card with employment verification or a copy of valid US visa with employment verification letter
6. For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa witha letter proof of employment ( **we don’t accept pay stubs**)/ letter proof of full-time student status
7. Original letter of invitation or acceptance from the non profit  foundations/ organizations or institutes with foundations/ organizations or institutes registration with Thai government

**if you would like to get a multiple entry visa, we require that the non profit  foundations/ organizations or institutes have to provide those details in an invitation letter**

– Notarized copy of marriage certificate , In case of sole custody notarized copy of court order must be provided.
– Notarized copy or original passports or ID of mother and father/ legal guardian
– Original letter of notarized consent for the minor to travel abroad from mother and father/ legal guardian

***All supporting materials that are not in English must be accompanied by certified English translations and certified by an embassy only ***

Processing time :
In person    2-5 business days

Processing Fees:

Validity of a visa:
Single entry           3 months
Multiple entries     1 year

***A visa becomes effective from the date of issuance. Do not apply for the visa too early. If you apply too early the visa may expire before your trip and you will have to re-apply. The fee is not refundable***

http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-visa-category-o/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khwaibah said:

The following is directly from the Thai Embassy web site in Washington DC and only deals with their requirements. I have personally talked to them and so has my wife. The funds can be in a Thai or US bank account.  700 USD is about 25,000 baht.

Purpose of Visit: Applicants who wish to stay with family in Thailand (Thai Family)
Applicants who wish for volunteering work with the state enterprises or social welfare organizations in Thailand  (Volunteering)

Documents Required for Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O” (Thai Family):
3. A copy of flight confirmation/reservation , showing going from US to Thailand  (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)
4. A copy of recent bank statement  ($700 per person and $1,500 per family) (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly) , In case of submitting family bank statement a proof of relationship (i.e. birth certificate, marriage certificate) must be provided.

5.For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa with a letter proof of employment ( **we don’t accept pay stubs**)
6. If you are a former Thai citizen, proof of Thai citizen such as Thai passport or Thai identification card
7. If you want to visit as a spouse or family member (spouse, son or daughter), proof of relationship such as a photocopy of marriage license or birth certificate with a proof that your spouse or family member is a Thai citizen such as as a photocopy of Thai passport or Thai identification card

Processing time :

In person   5 business days

Processing Fees:

Validity of a visa:
Single entry          3 months
Multiple entries    1 year

Documents Required of Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O” (Volunteering)
3. A copy of flight confirmation/reservation , showing going from US to Thailand and leaving from Thailand (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)
4. A copy of recent bank statement ($700 per person and $1,500 per family) (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly) , In case of submitting family bank statement a proof of relationship (i.e. birth certificate, marriage certificate) must be provided.
5. For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card with employment verification or a copy of valid US visa with employment verification letter
6. For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa witha letter proof of employment ( **we don’t accept pay stubs**)/ letter proof of full-time student status
7. Original letter of invitation or acceptance from the non profit  foundations/ organizations or institutes with foundations/ organizations or institutes registration with Thai government

**if you would like to get a multiple entry visa, we require that the non profit  foundations/ organizations or institutes have to provide those details in an invitation letter**

Processing time :
In person    2-5 business days

Processing Fees:

Validity of a visa:
Single entry           3 months
Multiple entries     1 year

http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-visa-category-o/

So this was for a ONE YEAR MULTIPLE TYPE O VISA FOR MARRIAGE? FEE:$200  Did they require a letter from your  Thai wife stating you were still married etc? There was no requirement for a Thai bank account with a balance of 400,000 baht? Once in Thailand every 90 days you leave the country at the border and return?

Edited by ubonjoe
removed duplicate quote

A Non Imm O Visa gives unlimited stays of up to 90 days each entry.

Valid for 12 months.

You can obtain one in Savanakhet Laos.

No money in the bank needed.

Looks like you need $ 700 if applying in Washington.

Edited by Phuket Man

1 hour ago, Phuket Man said:

A Non Imm O Visa gives unlimited stays of up to 90 days each entry.

Valid for 12 months.

You can obtain one in Savanakhet Laos.

No money in the bank needed.

Looks like you need $ 700 if applying in Washington.

Not sure of the official website address. But this morning read that the Lao embassy issued a 90 day Type O Visa for marriage in Savanakhet Laos and you need a Thai bank account. Reading so many conflicting things on each embassy website. The L.A website now does not mention a one year multiple visa. But says Maximum stay 90 days may be applied in Thailand. Does not mention applied at the border or at a local office.

The rules for having and be sure of can use a Non Imm O visa, in all consulates and embassies as well as Immigration offices in Thailand is:

400 000 Bath or 40 000 Bath per month. Sometimes they want you to show, some places you not need. Like russian roulette!

As for long time back many Immigration offices in Thailand also make home visits to randomly choosen people, so nobody goes safe for a check-up.

Therefore it´s always best to know that you have all that they might require. I mean 40 000 Bath per month or 400 000 Bath in bank, that is still something of a minimum of what you´re going to need when staying in Thailand every year. So really there is no problem! Regarding myself, I would prefer to go to a place that requires me to show all that might or might not be required due to that I can live with the knowlegde of that no problem can come up during my visa. According to me they change so much all the time, and one officer works different than the other, so it´s better to be safe than sorry.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Not sure of the official website address. But this morning read that the Lao embassy issued a 90 day Type O Visa for marriage in Savanakhet Laos and you need a Thai bank account. Reading so many conflicting things on each embassy website. The L.A website now does not mention a one year multiple visa. But says Maximum stay 90 days may be applied in Thailand. Does not mention applied at the border or at a local office.

The consulate in Savannakhet Laos will issue a multiple entry non-o visa with no financial proof. Many topics and posts going back almost 5 years will confirm that.

From LA consulate website under visa validity. http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=34

The validity of visa is three months for a single-entry (permit to stay up to 90 days in Thailand unless extension is granted by Thai Immigration) or one year for a multiple-entry (for each entry permit to stay up to 90 days in Thailand unless extension is granted by Thai Immigration).  For example, with a single-entry visa you have three months to enter Thailand from when the visa is issued.  For a one-year multiple-entry visa you have up to one year to enter Thailand as often as you require. 

Check the Thai embassy sites in L.A , Washington D.C, and in Savananket Laos . If i am reading them correctly they no longer offer multiple entry visas for marriage. Now after 90 days you report to the nearest office in Thailand . And showing proof of 400,000 baht is required. Before there were two ways to deal with it. Make a border run every 90 days which did NOT require 400,000 baht in a Thai bank. Or have 400,000 baht in  a Thai bank and report to an office. Seems this just changed over the last few months. I sure hope i am wrong.

This money requirement have been long time. Only the on more offer of multiple visa for marriage, I'm first time heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

20 minutes ago, Anthony Loh said:

This money requirement have been long time. Only the on more offer of multiple visa for marriage, I'm first time heard.

Not at Savannakhet Laos. No financial proof is required.

The LA consulate mentions $700 that is equal to the standard 20k baht requirement for all visas. Not sure if they actually ask for it though.

• 2 weeks later...

It's that time again, sounds like it's business as usual to get a NON O multiple entry marriage visa in Savanakhet?

Sorry to annoy but does anyone have a link to the visa application for Savanakhet?

Is it still 5000 baht?

Cheers in advance.

Edited by beechbum

18 minutes ago, beechbum said:

It's that time again, sounds like it's business as usual to get a NON O multiple entry marriage visa in Savanakhet?

Sorry to annoy but does anyone have a link to the visa application for Savanakhet?

Is it still 5000 baht?

Cheers in advance.

Here are the application forms you will need. The fee is still 5000t.

Savannakhet 2501-01-31.PDF

Lao visa on arrival form.pdf

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2017 at 8:43 AM, ubonjoe said:

Here are the application forms you will need. The fee is still 5000t.

Savannakhet 2501-01-31.PDF

Lao visa on arrival form.pdf

Hello Sir, Question regarding this if I go this route is it correct that every 90 days I have to leave Thailand to Loas border and get passport stamped? if so what is the fee every 90 days to get passport stamped if needed? I am planning on staying in Yasothon to stay with my wife and children. Would you suggest if I have the 400000 baht to keep in bank account to do this route or would you suggest that the first option would be better? Thank you

2 hours ago, raptorea said:

Would you suggest if I have the 400000 baht to keep in bank account to do this route or would you suggest that the first option would be better?

The one year extension of stay you apply for at immigration is the best option. No need to leave the country every 90 days.