Thai Customs tightens up inspection of parcels

webfact

No Problem! Mai Pen Rai!

Thailand is making it very clear that Thailand does not want foreigners in Thailand.

Everything from crimes against foreigners to scams to taxes to dual pricing schemes to "you name it" are in the process of crippling Thailand's tourist and retirement industries.

A very Low High Season? - Don't cry Thailand - You did it to yourselves.......

5 hours ago, new2here said:

I think this is more reflective of the reality that customs really can't inspect 100% of all incoming parcels - without incurring sizable delivery backlogs.

Sure, it frustrating when 2 packages of similar items gets materially dissimilar customs clearance treatment; but I suspect this simply a case of customs not having the physical set-up, equipment/processing capacity and manpower, to conduct the kind of hands-on examination that a dutiable package requires and for every inbound parcel.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If they could check and tax 5 percent of parcels already they would multiply their profit by 10.

No customs in the world, even form the worst of the worst country, can check more than few percent of parcels.

This is one of the reasons why they allow courier companies: they work for free for customs that are too stupid to do their own job.

8 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Recently (last month) had motorcycle parts sent over from the States (USPS) and the UK (Royal Mail), ie, no courier service, UPS, Fex Ex, DHL et al which i will not use. Both parcels had "m/c parts" written on them as description of contents.

#Parcel number 1, UK, value of contents £99 + £24 postage, total of £123. Got charged 1,975 baht at the PO here, them claiming 30% import tax and 7% vat on goods valued at 5000 baht...

#Parcel number 2, USA, value of contents inc. postage £84, got charged ZERO...

Go figure...

Parcel no. 1 was charged the correct rate of import duty and VAT, while parcel no. 2, luckily for you, slipped through unnoticed.

Thailand Post has a special waiver from the Customs Department that allows it to deliver small packages valued at less than B1,500 without collecting import duty and VAT due to the large volume of small, low value packages arriving from abroad.  The courier companies don't have this privilege and must charge duty and VAT on the full landed cost (including freight and insurance charges) on all packages.

It is not mentioned in the article whether this policy entails any change to this policy.  I hope not.  Going after Lazada should be simple enough, since Lazada seems to be effectively acting as a middle man ordering stuff from Aliexpress or similar suppliers in China by post and delivering them to Thai customers.  They can just target all the parcels addressed to Lazada's depot and lift the waiver on small parcels on the basis that it is a large volume business actually ordering commercial quantities but in piecemeal packages.  Then the Thai consumers could still order exactly the same products on Aliexpress for themselves without paying tax, assuming that the item is less than B1,500 or it is small enough not to excite suspicion and the vendor marks the value down, which Chinese vendors normally do as a matter of course. But most Thai consumers would not do this because they cannot read English or Chinese and Lazada is in Thai.  Lazada also has another advantage in that you can return the stuff to their Thai warehouse, even though it came from China.  China post is much cheaper than Thailand Post and the cost of returning defective or wrong products to Aliexpress vendors in China would be prohibitive and the product descriptions on Lazada and Aliexpress are often wildly inaccurate, which can mean you receive something completely useless.   Personally I use Aliexpress more than Lazada as it has much a greater range of products but I usually order small items and am prepared to write them off, if they are wrong, but that would not suit most Thai consumers. 

If they could check and tax 5 percent of parcels already they would multiply their profit by 10.

No customs in the world, even form the worst of the worst country, can check more than few percent of parcels.

This is one of the reasons why they allow courier companies: they work for free for customs that are too stupid to do their own job.

Right. Technically it's not the courier companies per se, but the customs brokers that do they job on behalf of transporting courier (though in many cases the customs broker is in fact a nationally-registered subsidiary or similarly related entity to that of the larger transporting courier or its patent holding company)

I agree there is simply no way to get to anywhere near 100%... and that's why I suspect in time, national customs agencies will require things like a pre-alert (via some kind of EDC/EDI system) like customs declaration be filed electronically before packages actual arrival.

Most airlines now do this via their APIS processes and some countries now require advance customs declaration for ocean carried cargo container movements before they hit the dock.

By doing so, I suspect they'll be better able to better determine what packages they'll want to manually inspect upon arrival and determine which ones may be "lower risk" and my clear without passing thru the hands of a human agent.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Well between the customs and thai post ( who believe a registered delivery package to singapore is perfectly all right taking 18 days and not being signed for < what is your problem Mr Farang>  not once or twice but five times .....)

the joys of being resident here get less less and less every day.

In September last year the law office in Europe send me the complete files for a case one of my companies is involved. It contained over 2000 pages (8 kg box), too large to send by the digital highway but send by registered mail. I had to pick it up at Thailand Post customs in Chang Wattana. They wanted me to pay a bill of 1,900 THB on import taxes. I just had a very good laugh and showed them what was in the box. Their reply: "Uuhhhhhh!"

On 3/13/2017 at 6:04 AM, SoFarAndNear said:

Maybe do a fair taxation instead of protectionism. Current situation just allows corrupt people to make profits.

So they can just open up the parcels "without further authorization" without dignity to privacy concerns,..... hmmmm....

29 minutes ago, FredNL said:

In September last year the law office in Europe send me the complete files for a case one of my companies is involved. It contained over 2000 pages (8 kg box), too large to send by the digital highway but send by registered mail. I had to pick it up at Thailand Post customs in Chang Wattana. They wanted me to pay a bill of 1,900 THB on import taxes. I just had a very good laugh and showed them what was in the box. Their reply: "Uuhhhhhh!"

I was asked by Fedex to pay about B500 duty and VAT on an unsolicited auction catalogue.  The auction house had stupidly declared it as a prospectus with a value of US$156.  Trying to explain that a prospectus was the same thing as a book or documents cut no ice with Fedex.  Then the delivery man had a hard time understanding that I was giving it back to him and refusing to pay tax on a zero rated item.  A very exhausting 10 minutes.  I never found out how they had managed to find a tax rate for a prospectus without knowing what it was.  It all seems to be very arbitrary what rate they decide to tax things at.

26 minutes ago, MaxLee said:

So they can just open up the parcels "without further authorization" without dignity to privacy concerns,..... hmmmm....

Customs all over the world can open up parcels without further authorisation.

On 3/13/2017 at 5:39 PM, Arkady said:

Thailand Post has a special waiver from the Customs Department that allows it to deliver small packages valued at less than B1,500 without collecting import duty and VAT due to the large volume of small, low value packages arriving from abroad.  The courier companies don't have this privilege and must charge duty and VAT on the full landed cost (including freight and insurance charges) on all packages.

It is not mentioned in the article whether this policy entails any change to this policy.  I hope not.  Going after Lazada should be simple enough, since Lazada seems to be effectively acting as a middle man ordering stuff from Aliexpress or similar suppliers in China by post and delivering them to Thai customers.  They can just target all the parcels addressed to Lazada's depot and lift the waiver on small parcels on the basis that it is a large volume business actually ordering commercial quantities but in piecemeal packages.  Then the Thai consumers could still order exactly the same products on Aliexpress for themselves without paying tax, assuming that the item is less than B1,500 or it is small enough not to excite suspicion and the vendor marks the value down, which Chinese vendors normally do as a matter of course. But most Thai consumers would not do this because they cannot read English or Chinese and Lazada is in Thai.  Lazada also has another advantage in that you can return the stuff to their Thai warehouse, even though it came from China.  China post is much cheaper than Thailand Post and the cost of returning defective or wrong products to Aliexpress vendors in China would be prohibitive and the product descriptions on Lazada and Aliexpress are often wildly inaccurate, which can mean you receive something completely useless.   Personally I use Aliexpress more than Lazada as it has much a greater range of products but I usually order small items and am prepared to write them off, if they are wrong, but that would not suit most Thai consumers. 

I think the limit is 1000 Baht instead of 1500 Baht and is also valid for the courier companies.

http://search.customs.go.th:8090/Customs-Eng/PostalParcels/PostalParcels.jsp?menuNme=PostalParcels

Group 1 : Exempted from duty items, which are the items that follow below criteria.

1. Postal items sent by mail and the value of each dose not exceed 1,000 baht.
2. Trade samples of no commercial value. The Customs Officers will deliver such items to Thailand Post for further distribution to the consignees at the stated address on the postal items.

I order quite a lot from China which is shipped by Kerry express and DPEX, and everything valued under $30  comes in without duty. Anything above that amount has autoamtically the customs bill added to it.

I say "valued" under $30, because even orders from over $100 come in without questions asked with these couriers as long as the invoice isn't above $30. The same applies to DHL and Fedex

Lazada has taxes already included in their prices for items shipped from abroad, you only don't see them on the bill.

Proof is that while Lazada is owned by Alibaba, the same item on Lazada can be ordered from the same seller on Aliexpress ( also owned by Alibaba) or Ebay at a cheaper price.

Reason is because if you order from those sites import duties are the buyers responsibility

19 hours ago, Allstars said:

I think the limit is 1000 Baht instead of 1500 Baht and is also valid for the courier companies.

http://search.customs.go.th:8090/Customs-Eng/PostalParcels/PostalParcels.jsp?menuNme=PostalParcels

I order quite a lot from China which is shipped by Kerry express and DPEX, and everything valued under $30  comes in without duty. Anything above that amount has autoamtically the customs bill added to it.

I say "valued" under $30, because even orders from over $100 come in without questions asked with these couriers as long as the invoice isn't above $30. The same applies to DHL and Fedex

Lazada has taxes already included in their prices for items shipped from abroad, you only don't see them on the bill.

Proof is that while Lazada is owned by Alibaba, the same item on Lazada can be ordered from the same seller on Aliexpress ( also owned by Alibaba) or Ebay at a cheaper price.

Reason is because if you order from those sites import duties are the buyers responsibility

I know that the information about the B1,000 limit is on the Customs Dept website but the form you get notifying you of tax to be paid on packages over the limits states the limit is B1,500.  Sorry I don't have a copy of one handy.  I have never been charged tax on anything by mail under B1,500 but over B1,000 and I have received quite a few in this declared value bracket.

According to that form and the Customs website the waiver is only applicable to items sent by mail.  I am pretty sure I have been charged tax on items sent by courier declared at under B1,000 or B15,00 but who knows if they pass it on to the Revenue Dept.  I avoid receiving things by courier like the plague.  Items coming by mail never have tax assessed on the freight charge, whereas couriers always charge this, as is required by law. Of course, they always know what the freight charge is, whereas there is normally no way of knowing what postal charges are from the outside of a parcel. 

I received some small, low value packages from the US, Europe and China by mail this week and all came to the door as per normal without tax. 

When I have had to pay tax I have always had to go to the local post office but some friends have been made to go to the main postal customs office in Chaengwattana.  This can result in an arbitrary assessment of value and tax, often based on the highest retail price the officer can find for that or a similar item online.  One friend was asked to prove he had paid less than that and produced an email with details of the order.  The officer agreed to accept the invoice price from the email but cleverly noticed the vendor had confirmed in the email the instructions to break the goods up into three separate parcels to avoid customs inspection.  So she arbitrarily charged tax on the other two packages that she had not managed to apprehend.  Another friend said he was summoned to Chaengwattana and shown the invoice for around US$150 they had fished out of the package that had a declared value of US$24 on the outside.  No prizes for guessing which value they used to calculate the tax. I have seen some articles about the Customs Dept working to amend the law so that false customs declarations on incoming packages would be a criminal offence they can prosecute for but I assume they would have to prove intent to prosecute the recipient. Of course anything can happen in the LOS but for now I still prefer to shop online overseas for many small items because they are either cheaper, or more often than not, simply unavailable in Thailand. 

On 3/13/2017 at 11:57 AM, NoBrainer said:

As long as they are not Nuclear, I don't see any problem with them. The fiasco will start when Somchai spills his SomTam on the controls, and in the ensuing panic, the thing bottoms out on a sunken freighter.

How much will it cost to bring in the foreign experts to rescue the crew and recover the wreck.

On another note, I haven't seen any of those new busses roaming the streets of Bangkok yet.

I saw 5 or 6 of them on the hard shoulder on Highway 7 on Tuesday.

On 3/13/2017 at 10:44 PM, Grubster said:

I sent some stuff here for me to my girlfriend, the post office sent her to the local customs office, they told her 3,000 baht, she said I only have 200 look here in my purse, they said ok 200.

Many years ago at Don Muang I was bringing through a hedge trimmer for a friend.  The Customs guy said with a receipt 1,000 Baht without a receipt 500 Baht.

38 minutes ago, roger101 said:

Many years ago at Don Muang I was bringing through a hedge trimmer for a friend.  The Customs guy said with a receipt 1,000 Baht without a receipt 500 Baht.

Ha Ha, one of the rare cases when losing the receipt pays off.

Archived