Received your bank tax refund yet.?

2 hours ago, how241 said:

Yes, still waiting.  When I called a few weeks ago, I was told I had to come back in to fill out another paper. I did that and I am back on the 4-8 week waiting line.  usually it only takes 3-4 weeks. 

What was the other paper you had to complete?

I was sent a very long form (full Thai tax return I think and all in Thai) but when I went back and told them I was only claiming for interest withheld and had no income the guy I spoke too said forget it.

The extra paper was all about receiving pensions...You can claim back the tax on the  interest  IF   they have  taxed  you,....It will show right on your bank book...  You need to have about 20,000 baht in interest  or have about 1 million in the bank...

1 hour ago, topt said:

What was the other paper you had to complete?

I was sent a very long form (full Thai tax return I think and all in Thai) but when I went back and told them I was only claiming for interest withheld and had no income the guy I spoke too said forget it.

You will get that long tax form every year but you don't need that IF  you are only claiming the bank interest tax back...

yes delayed,, i  file electronically and they send me email after 4 weeks saying the never received attachments  resent them  now  according the their online status its say their is an amount due to me,,, but no mailing infom as of yet filed jan  24 +/-  1st time ever a delay  also first time they would not help fill out the form when i went into jomtien office and the formed changed so could not copy and paste

As noted by others, it seems it's been delayed quite a bit this year.  Last year, I filed online on a Tuesday and had the check in the mail by the weekend.

This year, I filed online the last day or two of January and a couple of weeks later received a letter from the Revenue Department saying I had to show up at their office with some unknown documents by February 23rd.  I went about the 17th of February but was only there 2 minutes as all they wanted to see was the interest statement from the bank (which they didn't need to see as they have the bank's ID number and could easily have looked up the withheld amount showing on their records ....the same as they did last year).  They did tell me, since I was signed up for that "promptpay" deal, that'd the funds would be transferred to my bank within 2-3 days; instead, I got a check for the refund in the mail last week. 

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Can someone please explain what the criteria are to qualify for this? First I've heard of it....

I can't state as gospel all the qualifications but, as I understand it,  you can't be a recipient of wages/salary anywhere (either here in Thailand or in other countries).  Income (investment, retirement, pension, etc.) otherwise is okay.  I know this mainly because the Revenue Department person vigorously questioned me on this topic the first time I applied for a refund.  That first time, the Revenue Department lady actually filed the return online for me whereas I've done it myself online the last two years.

I'm unaware of other qualifications other than, obviously, you must own a Thai bank account where your bank actually withheld interest (15%) and paid it over to the Revenue Department.

I am aware you can seek a refund (if you otherwise qualify) for withholdings for 3 years back.  My first time I applied and received refunds for two years back (there was no interest withheld the third year prior).  By "applying", you're essentially filing a Thai tax return.

There are older posts around indicating how you get all this done.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks. I'll have to go through and figure out if it is worth the hassle.

In simplistic terms, if you are retired and do not work here pretty simple just file and claim tax back

Otherwise more complicated and maybe not worth the effort, unless the amount substantial, like over 1.0M permanently on deposit

Further complicated if you are a US citizen because they may say you can claim it back on your us tax return

I am but a simple retired FCA from the UK who is pretty well informed but not an authority on the subject especially as regards US citizens

2 hours ago, al007 said:

Further complicated if you are a US citizen because they may say you can claim it back on your us tax return

I am but a simple retired FCA from the UK who is pretty well informed but not an authority on the subject especially as regards US citizens

We US citizens are required to report interest earned in Thailand on our US tax return (and that has always been the rule....even before Thai banks began to report interest earned directly to the IRS).  I'm unsure what you mean by the comment "claim it back" but hope I've answered whatever it was you meant.

I'd note that a British friend of mine elects not to seek a refund back of withheld interest because to do that one must first obtain a Thai tax identification number.  He indicated that UK citizens are somehow required to report (on tax return or otherwise?) if he/she has a tax identification number in another country and that somehow that might have some affect.  That's what he (a very knowledgeable person) told me....I have no personal knowledge of any of that.

US citizens, of course, must annually report to the US Treasury (via FBAR report) all foreign accounts (bank accounts, stock accounts, etc.) whenever at any one moment during the year such accounts exceed the value of $10,000.00  (which certainly would be the case if any US citizen is using the 800k baht basis for a retirement extension).  Additionally, if all such foreign accounts exceed the value of $50,000.00 at any one moment during the year, an additional form (8938) is required to be filed with one's tax return with the IRS.  Complying with these filing requirements is rather easy.

Just went to the tax office in jomtien they wanted proof that I paid tax in the UK ,an e mail was not enough ,wanted s letter from the tax office in the UK to say I paid it ,as you cannot get hard copy no tax refund on my bank interest,first time in 11 years. So that's it

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:47 AM, i claudius said:

Just went to the tax office in jomtien they wanted proof that I paid tax in the UK ,an e mail was not enough ,wanted s letter from the tax office in the UK to say I paid it ,as you cannot get hard copy no tax refund on my bank interest,first time in 11 years. So that's it

You went off your own bat or they asked you to come in?

And suppose you do not have a pension and actually don't pay any tax in the UK - what then?

On 26/03/2017 at 11:47 AM, i claudius said:

You seem to say that the Thai Revenue has checked with the UK Revenue to see if you are tax resident there, which you appear to claim you are, is that correct? I suppose if you are UK tax resident, claiming UK benefits, you can't also be tax resident in Thailand, in which case you can't claim tax refunds on savings here - or have I misunderstood? If it helps anyone I filed my reclaim on 11 January but had to wait until 45 days later for the refund check, I am tax resident in Thailand.

Edited by simoh1490
13 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

You seem to say that the Thai Revenue has checked with the UK Revenue to see if you are tax resident there, which you appear to claim you are, is that correct? I suppose if you are UK tax resident, claiming UK benefits, you can't also be tax resident in Thailand, in which case you can't claim tax refunds on savings here - or have I misunderstood? If it helps anyone I filed my reclaim on 11 January but had to wait until 45 days later for the refund check, I am tax resident in Thailand.

no what happened was ,as normal at the begining of the year i went into the tax office in Banglamung , filled in my form for bank interest , usually afte a few weeks a cheque comes in the post , this year some forms came to fill in , went back to the office and they said go to tax office in Jomtien ,went there 4th floor saw the woman ,told her i do not work so should get my refund of tax , asked if i paid tax in uk ,yes , so told me must bring in proof that i have paid it , 2 days late pop in with copy of e mail from tax office in UK   saying tax paid , e mail no good ,need hard copy from office , i tell her no chance not worth the effort , you have always given me my tax rebate for 10 years ,why now different , big smile , "just your turn" ,so i told them not to bother ,not worth the trouble and effort .

2 hours ago, i claudius said:

no what happened was ,as normal at the begining of the year i went into the tax office in Banglamung , filled in my form for bank interest , usually afte a few weeks a cheque comes in the post , this year some forms came to fill in , went back to the office and they said go to tax office in Jomtien ,went there 4th floor saw the woman ,told her i do not work so should get my refund of tax , asked if i paid tax in uk ,yes , so told me must bring in proof that i have paid it , 2 days late pop in with copy of e mail from tax office in UK   saying tax paid , e mail no good ,need hard copy from office , i tell her no chance not worth the effort , you have always given me my tax rebate for 10 years ,why now different , big smile , "just your turn" ,so i told them not to bother ,not worth the trouble and effort .

I had a similar experience.  For 6 years, no problems,  I went in to the office in Jan.   and got a check in 3 weeks for the bank tax on the interest... This time the check doesn't come.  When I call they tell me to go to the 4th floor where they have all my papers.  The lady gives me another form to fill out .  It's all about receiving a pension,  which I told her I don't get any pension.  I filled it out and she said 4-8 weeks for my check.  I am still waiting for my check.  It has been 4 weeks since my second application ...

4 hours ago, i claudius said:

I think you may have fallen into their trap. The question about whether you pay tax in the UK or not is designed to determine your tax residency. If you answer yes that means you are tax resident in the UK and NOT in Thailand, therefore you are not eligible to file claim a refund here, instead you must do it via your UK tax return using the double taxation agreement - giving them prooof that you pay UK tax simply confirms your ineligibility for a Thai based tax refund.

• 2 weeks later...