Wissanu defends sending 46 Thai delegates to human rights session in Switzerland

snoop1130

Wissanu defends sending 46 Thai delegates to human rights session in Switzerland

By The Nation

89224c38b4dafd680e31739520afccb9-sld.jpe

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam on Monday defended an apparently high number of Thai delegates – 46 in total – participating in a rights review session in Geneva, Switzerland, saying it was due to various missions the delegation had to handle.

Wissanu said that they had to split up to join in meetings with different agendas. For instance, some would need to travel to Austria to join a session there.

The deputy’s reaction came after a website of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights published a paper, issued by the Thai Permanent Mission in Geneva, to the UN Human Rights Committee, that the Thai delegation would take part to the UNHRC’s 119th session.

The review would be conducted to consider reports from Thailand and five other countries over whether they have complied with the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

Full Story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30308932

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-3-13

While reading UN site today I learned that

Torturing is not a criminal offence in Thailand - you can't be send to jail for torturing someone

Saying someone tortured you (or anyone else) is a criminal offence punishable by jail time under the defamation law (even if it is truth)

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Something tells me, no matter how many people they send (short of an Army), it's not likely to change the probable result of the UN's review of their record.

It's a bit like shopping in Homepro where 10 staffmembers try to convince the customer together...aka teambuilding.

I wonder if they can even find 46 delegates who can speak english at that level.  

Given the report damning Thailand over Human right abuses, Thailand should probably send every Government official to learn what the term actually means.

It now seems though that just 46, armed with the Ministry of Denials book of bullshit, will attempt to convince the other attendees that Thailand is a paragon of virtue.

Yeah! They will get laughed all the way back to the airport, but they got a taxpayer funded holiday, so they won't care.

37 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I wonder if they can even find 46 delegates who can speak english at that level.  

I was going to approach it a bit differently, by saying...

If they could actually find 46 people in senior positions in the Thai government who had any commitment to human rights, then, they wouldn't have a bit to worry about from the U.N.

1 hour ago, Cinderella Man said:

Torturing is not a criminal offence in Thailand - you can't be send to jail for torturing someone

Saying someone tortured you (or anyone else) is a criminal offence punishable by jail time under the defamation law (even if it is truth)

If you call torture "Enhanced interrogation techniques" ? it will pass.....they will close there eyes like it was the US of A !!!

The review would be conducted to consider reports from Thailand and five other countries over whether they have complied with the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

Well that is a FAIL then. You will need to send a lot more than 46 probably very poor liars to convince the world that Thailand is complying with stuff it very clearly isn't.

Someone should inform the Government that Farang can see through bullshit.

2 hours ago, Cinderella Man said:

Thailand is a signatory to the United Nations Convention against Torture since 2 October 2007. Section 28 of the Thai 2016 constitution states, "A torture, [sic] brutal act or punishment by cruel or inhumane means shall be prohibited."

36 minutes ago, Seligne2 said:

Put aside the hypocrisy of the US for a minute... Cinderella makes excellent points:  Thailand supports international conventions outlawing torture. But its own legal system has no definition of torture and there is no Thai law against  torture. But there is a law that says that if you claim some official tortured you, even if the allegation is true (dicey as we have no definition), you  can be sued for defamation of character.

I agree but lets get real. What is the definition of torture?

If a country does not have a definition of torture, any international convention is meaningless. 

The UN is a stupid institution. Any world power can veto its sanctions. A total waste of time and money. A lot of sanctimonious holier than thou chaps and chappettes claiming some moral superiority yet having NO ability to enforce Their view of the world. Yet we pay these plebs heaps. I could go on except that it is silly of me to do so. 

Lastly, and let me make my point clear - The US claims a moral superiority to constantly judge other countries regimes. Yet it is a cesspit of moral ineptitude. 

6 hours ago, brucec64 said:

Do they think if they have many people spouting the same nonsense that somehow it will be more believable?

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

It doesn't matter. What is the worst that could happen; being sent home under the threat that a mild letter of rebuke could possibly be forthcoming within a year or so? The junta Thailand stitched up and they know it. There is no outside will to do anything. 

Big team to defend human rights policies at UN
By  Wasamon Audjarint,
Nattapat Promkaew,
Kasamakorn Chanwanpen
The Nation

w.jpg

Thailand has 46 officials in geneva, more than any other country, for its second review at un rights body

BANGKOK: -- AFTER years of international criticism over its human rights policies, a 46-member delegation is strong enough to defend Thailand’s position before the Human Rights Committee on the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (CCPR), senior government officials said. 

Thailand was scheduled to submit its second periodic report to the comฌmittee yesterday and today in Geneva.

Each country is required to submit reports on the measures they have adopted which affect human rights.

As well as the report, the committee also provided a list of 10 issues involving 28 inquiries for Thailand to respond to. They include rights and liberty and security of people, as well as rights to freedom of expression, which are constantly highlighted by civil society organisations in Thailand.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30308978

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-14

10 hours ago, Cinderella Man said:

try  torturing  a  dog  though

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Something tells me, no matter how many people they send (short of an Army), it's not likely to change the probable result of the UN's review of their record.

They will make a statement on behalf of the U.N shortly, don't worry it will be a glowing endorsement of Thailand.  As for the 46 delegates, do they really need to take pillow fluffers, shoe shinners, pad thai cooks and other assorted hangers on.  Why not take the guy who was arrested under the computer crimes act for running a poll on face book?  I'm sure the U.N would be more interested in hearing what he has to say than the general's batman.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Big team to defend human rights policies at UN
By  Wasamon Audjarint,
Nattapat Promkaew,
Kasamakorn Chanwanpen
The Nation

w.jpg

Thailand has 46 officials in geneva, more than any other country, for its second review at un rights body

BANGKOK: -- AFTER years of international criticism over its human rights policies, a 46-member delegation is strong enough to defend Thailand’s position before the Human Rights Committee on the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (CCPR), senior government officials said. 

Thailand was scheduled to submit its second periodic report to the comฌmittee yesterday and today in Geneva.

Each country is required to submit reports on the measures they have adopted which affect human rights.

As well as the report, the committee also provided a list of 10 issues involving 28 inquiries for Thailand to respond to. They include rights and liberty and security of people, as well as rights to freedom of expression, which are constantly highlighted by civil society organisations in Thailand.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30308978

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-14

It isn't the strength of the individuals travelling that makes any difference. It is the strength of the arguments they carry. In this case, expect them to come home red faced and crying that they are not being understood.

The international community isn't interested in rhetoric, evasion and denial of what is real. I expect this to end badly.

It is not the amount of delegates but the interpretation apon their return that will be the interesting outcome , for if General Pawtwit the doyen of honesty has anything to do with the press release it will be indeed from selected parts of the UN statement, so be sure to google for the correct copy or download  a copy of a Cambodian English  newspaper. ..........................................................:coffee1: