Pattaya - Hua Hin Ferry 50% - 60% full in first month

webfact

12 hours ago, gdgbb said:

So if you see a plaque indicating the number of passengers and corresponding life vests you would accept that, as opposed to accepting that, in order for the service to be operating, the Marine Dept already gone through that exercise for you?

As we all have such confidence in the ability of the licensing authorities of mini vans, taxis, buses and all forms of marine craft, based on actual events, to protect the paying public, we have to accept your undying faith in everything Thai?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gdgbb said:

It seems that the current fares are the perfect price point for success if you read the OP, that's what the thread is about!

I am sorry but 1,250 Baht is a price point that the majority of posters have said

sense day #1 is too expensive...(like hello is anyone listening)

I think the weak ridership numbers speak loud and clear its too expensive...

Do you think they would be packing out the HUGE koh larn ferries multiple times

a day if the fare was 1,250 Baht instead of 30 baht?

Its simple really if they cut the price in half the ridership numbers would

go way up..And they would be making more money too..

Edited by fforest1

6 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

The request was a civil one. If you are not travelling then stop wasting time.

"The request was a civil one."

As was my response.  Anything wrong with my asking why you would want to investigate the legality of the ferry which is, clearly, something that you are doubting?

"If you are not travelling then stop wasting time."

I'm not travelling?  What makes you think that? 

5 hours ago, catman20 said:

Novelty ? its too expensive :coffee1:dont believe everything that is reported, lets wait and see in a year time you can send me a message saying something like ( you were right )

What I find hard to understand is why some people are saying that the fares are too expensive when, objectively, they are not...the ferry is a success.

1 hour ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Probably English, but of course you would not expect a company offering transport services to customers consisting of 80% tourists to have anyone on their staff who understands English, would you?

You seem to be trying to monopolise this thread with your rebuttals of any comments, but perhaps we should not be too surprised about that, as you always jump to attack anyone on here who dares to criticise anything Thai.

The email was written in Thai, as he has already clarified.

Is there a limit on the number of comments that I can make that I wasn't aware of?

Monopolising anything doesn't come into it; the point of a forum is to discuss what others say, isn't it?   Are we all supposed to have exactly the same opinion?   If you misconstrue my comments as attacks then that is your prerogative but Thaivisa was not established to "criticise anything Thai" that so many posters like to do, most of the time with no good reason.  Just like this thread.

1 hour ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

As we all have such confidence in the ability of the licensing authorities of mini vans, taxis, buses and all forms of marine craft, based on actual events, to protect the paying public, we have to accept your undying faith in everything Thai?

No, you don't have to accept anything that I say, most don't, it's a public forum!

Are you suggesting that Thaivisa members should investigate the legality of whatever they want  here in Thailand despite the fact that there are official agencies to do that?   Do you think that those members not only have the authority to conduct those investigations but also have the serious expectation of responses from the subjects of their unofficial enquiries?

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

I am sorry but 1,250 Baht is a price point that the majority of posters have said

sense day #1 is too expensive...(like hello is anyone listening)

I think the weak ridership numbers speak loud and clear its too expensive...

Do you think they would be packing out the HUGE koh larn ferries multiple times

a day if the fare was 1,250 Baht instead of 30 baht?

Its simple really if they cut the price in half the ridership numbers would

go way up..And they would be making more money too..

Whether the fare is expensive or not in the eyes of Thaivisa members is, not only subjective, it is also irrelevant to the successful operation of the ferry.  It's not inconceivable that the passengers who are using the ferry, i.e. not most Thaivisa members, do not find the fare too expensive  The fares will, presumably, have been set based on what the operator considered appropriate considering the number of passengers the service would carry and it's overheads.

Your point about the Koh Larn ferries doesn't make sense; of course that fare would be ridiculous for such a short journey in an incredibly basic boat without the HH ferry's superior (and more expensive to provide) facilities.

It's not as simple as you seem to think, unless you know for a fact that there are hundreds of people each day who do not use the ferry because they consider it too expensive.  And you do not know that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

The express airport link line in Bangkok is out of service because 80 baht was too expensive compared to city line.

I will be surprised if this works out at this price point.

It's already working out.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

It's already working out.

As you appear to be some what involved in the operation of this service/operating company but virtue of your generally dismissive replies of the life saving issues ( other to say that it approved by the Thai Marine authority whom most people are fully aware of their integrity).  perhaps you would be good enough to advise under which certifying authority this vessel was built in China and to which class it complies to within that certifying authorities classifications.

The express airport link line in Bangkok is out of service because 80 baht was too expensive compared to city line.

No.

I will be surprised if this works out at this price point.

Well, there's no shortage of surprises around here. Poor members, having to reel daily from shock to horror.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

perhaps you would be good enough to advise under which certifying authority this vessel was built in China and to which class it complies to within that certifying authorities classifications.

That would be difficult given that it wasn't built in China. :smile: Good example of TVF fake news perpetuated into the mythical narrative. Good example too, if unwittingly, of the Complex Question Fallacy. BTW, the life jackets are kept under the seats, totally obvious. We had another member insisting that he'd need a demonstration of how to don a life jacket. (Any excuse will do.) Now there are lifeboats at the exits with sufficient capacity to hold all the passengers, but I questioned whether the other passengers would let him into the boat after seeing him with his legs in his life jacket's armholes. Might figure that it's better Darwinism take its course. And then if you just don't board or get off if the boat looks overcrowded (seems not much danger of that, given that the great Golden Egg Layers can't pay the fare), your problems are all sorted out. Next.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

That would be difficult given that it wasn't built in China. :smile: Good example of TVF fake news perpetuated into the mythical narrative. Good example too, if unwittingly, of the Complex Question Fallacy. BTW, the life jackets are kept under the seats, totally obvious. We had another member insisting that he'd need a demonstration of how to don a life jacket. (Any excuse will do.) Now there are lifeboats at the exits with sufficient capacity to hold all the passengers, but I questioned whether the other passengers would let him into the boat after seeing him with his legs in his life jacket's armholes. Might figure that it's better Darwinism take its course. And then if you just don't board or get off if the boat looks overcrowded (seems not much danger of that, given that the great Golden Egg Layers can't pay the fare), your problems are all sorted out. Next.

So this press release was wrong also ? The China-built Royal 1 ferry with invited guests aboard prepares to leave Pattaya's Bali Hai pier for Hua Hin after its official launch ceremony on Sunday

Given the number of fatalities that have occurred with passenger vessels  operating from Pattaya over the years I thought it would  have been constructive and re-assuring to  provide factual information that can easily be corroborated by a fair paying passenger rather than the dismissive attitude being shown by yourself and others. In fact that tends to send worrying signals.

Edited by whatawonderfulday

40 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

As you appear to be some what involved in the operation of this service/operating company but virtue of your generally dismissive replies of the life saving issues ( other to say that it approved by the Thai Marine authority whom most people are fully aware of their integrity).  perhaps you would be good enough to advise under which certifying authority this vessel was built in China and to which class it complies to within that certifying authorities classifications.

Funny how some people can make such wrong assumptions.

What makes you think that I would do your investigation for you?  Perhaps you should address your enquiries to the Marine authorities or to the boat's manufacturer.

6 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Funny how some people can make such wrong assumptions.

What makes you think that I would do your investigation for you?  Perhaps you should address your enquiries to the Marine authorities or to the boat's manufacturer.

Perhaps you should just go back to my first post as I asked if anybody was about to be a passenger. Clearly that is not you as your intent appears to be a smoke and mirrors approach to what is a very concerning topic.

22 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

So this press release was wrong also ? The China-built Royal 1 ferry with invited guests aboard prepares to leave Pattaya's Bali Hai pier for Hua Hin after its official launch ceremony on Sunday

Yes. It was only in service in China. Go look it all up in previous threads.

Given the number of fatalities that have occurred with passenger vessels  operating from Pattaya over the years I thought it would  have been constructive and re-assuring to  provide factual information that can easily be corroborated by a fair paying passenger rather than the dismissive attitude being shown by yourself and others. In fact that tends to send worrying signals.

Well, go look under the seats in the ferry and find lifejackets. How difficult is that? Sorted. Don't get on an overcrowded ferry where a significant number are standing. Sorted.

Any old "passenger vessel" ain't a ferry, which is the particular vehicle under discussion. Think there was one obviously overcrowded ferry accident in a broken down old tub back in 2013. Your chances of being run down on the street Pattaya are infinitely greater than any chance of drowning you'll encounter on this ferry.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Apart from you, who else is asking for this "constructive and reassuring information" that you are so generously asking other people to find for you?  Why don't you take a trip to the pier and photograph all the plaques you need and then post them here so that all those Thaivisa members who have indicated their boycott of the service and who haven't asked for it can see that information? 

11 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Perhaps you should just go back to my first post as I asked if anybody was about to be a passenger. Clearly that is not you as your intent appears to be a smoke and mirrors approach to what is a very concerning topic.

"...a very concerning topic."

To whom exactly?  No one but you has brought it up.

4 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

"...a very concerning topic."

To whom exactly?  No one but you has brought it up.

The fact that there have been deaths from ferry capsizes and luckily 85 people were rescued in 2015 by way of an example, then persons safety should be of paramount importance, even in Thailand. The fact that you and others glibly gloss over things suggest to me that either there is something untoward you have desire or financial reason to cover over or else you are totally ignorant of the issue.  I will leave the answer to that question for others to deduce.

11 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

The fact that there have been deaths from ferry capsizes and luckily 85 people were rescued in 2015 by way of an example, then persons safety should be of paramount importance, even in Thailand. The fact that you and others glibly gloss over things suggest to me that either there is something untoward you have desire or financial reason to cover over or else you are totally ignorant of the issue.  I will leave the answer to that question for others to deduce.

Of course safety should be important but no one apart from you has queried it!

It will be interesting to see what others deduce about me that is "untoward" according to your thinking!  What if I did have a financial interest in the ferry, how would it concern you even if that were the case?

59 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Let's have the evidence then.

Sorry, I really wasn't sure what "no" meant with your reply.

I would actually like a service to succeed. I think more options the better.

I just think the price point is high and people in general are cheap. Some are not, but they are in minority... trust me there.

The Airport link is a perfect example, actually. 

Sorry, I really wasn't sure what "no" meant with your reply.

I would actually like a service to succeed. I think more options the better.

I just think the price point is high and people in general are cheap. Some are not, but they are in minority... trust me there.

The Airport link is a perfect example, actually. 

No, because the Airport link handles 100,000 passengers daily and is cited as being overcrowded--a case that the fare is too low and should be raised further. Last time I rode it I couldn't find a seat. The ferry operator seems to have taken precautionary measures against having that problem. ;)

Pricing of a new product or service is never easy and based on reasonable projections that may or may not come true. You may rest assured they've considered the pricing carefully, contrary to what our ace barstool economists here may believe in their own interests. If there's no more profit in carrying more passengers at a lower price, then the ferry won't do it. They may try that if they find that the return at this price point isn't optimal. Watch for promotions. Or they may try value-added. Or not. So we'll see how it all plays out in due course.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GiantFan said:

FYI, Dover to Calais ferry, 1.5 hrs passenger only fare 30 GBP.   But, with car you can add a family for 49 GBP.  

That's relevant for Pattaya Thailand.

Can you tell us,  what the cost of a bottle of milk is in the uk :stoner:

Edited by onemorechang

36 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

That's relevant for Pattaya Thailand.

Can you tell us,  what the cost of a bottle of milk is in the uk :stoner:

Similar distance, similar price.  I'll let the Poirot's come to their own conclusions.

It's too early to predict any numbers yet , yes we have a news story about a 50% full ferry and I guess they can survive with that when everyone's paying 2500 baht for a return ticket.

But I do not believe we will see that many now during low season .  How many local Thais will use the service compared to westerners ? 

6 hours ago, GiantFan said:

Similar distance, similar price.  I'll let the Poirot's come to their own conclusions.

Similar boats? Similar number of trips per day? Similar passenger volume? What a joke. Nonsensical comparison merely leads to conclusions about the poster. 

Edited by JSixpack