Monks protest outside Thai embassy in Yangon over death sentence ruling for Koh Tao murders

webfact

Monks protest outside Thai embassy in Yangon over death sentence ruling for Koh Tao murders
By The Nation

6b4fe4f3272e4d0187a6d793a7dbcc7d-sld.jpe

Photo credit: Irrawady

BANGKOK: -- At least 50 protesters – mostly Buddhist monks – gathered briefly outside the Thai Embassy in Yangon on Monday to call for the abolition of the death penalty in Thailand. 

The demonstration comes after a Thai Appeals Court recently endorsed the harsh penalty given to two Myanmar nationals found guilty of killing two British tourists on Koh Tao in southern Thailand in September 2014. 

The protesters called for the release of Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun and urged HM the King of Thailand to help. They also said Myitta Thoke – Buddhist prayers for loving kindness – for the two men. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30308983

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-14

Good to see these pseudo monks do something useful for a change, you know rather than advocating ethnic cleansing of Rohingya muslims or some such. The whole case with the appeal was an absolute disgrace, I guess it is just well that the supreme court in Thailand that seemingly is the only one that actually dispenses actual justice (in the true sense of the word).

Not over yet obviously, but good to see that people do still care about the B2 and the sense of outrage is still as strong as ever

Many of us knew this would happen. They needed poor scapegoats who could not afford serious counsel, to protect the headman of Sairee Beach and his serial killing son Mon. They are super wealthy, from illegal land sales, and they are completely above the law. And and all laws. Especially the army.

I think as British law abiding expat citizens we should all do something about this disgusting miscarriage of justice ! we all know that these two young burmese are not guilty and we know who is ! so why don't we all as representatives of united kingdom send an appeal to his majesty the king of Thailand requesting the release and pardon of these two young guys and ask for the case to be re investigated properly so that the real culprits of this horrific crime are brought to justice ! I think perhaps the sons of the elder of the village should have a lie detector test and also the burmese just to show that they had nothing to do with this murder maybe a drop of sodium pentathol could do the trick ! 

where are all these do gooders when you need them amnesty international and human rights organisations I ask you what good are they if they can not help these poor guys now in this atrocious situation ! come on guys the Buddhist monks have set an example now its the christians turn have a heart lets all send a letter to the king with as many signatures as possible from ex pats to tourists stating if true justice is not done then there will be serious repercussions with foreign tourism in the near future for Thailand and ask him to set an example to others by granting clemency for the two Burmese lads lets stop talking about it and do something before its to late !  

Frankly, I am surprised there haven't been more protests around the world about this case.

It seems only a very small percentage of people believe that they are guilty.

I hope that The Supreme Court has the courage to do what is right and overturn this highly questionable decision.

Generally it is pretty good at coming up with the correct decision, but this is a very high profile case, so I have to wonder.

I suspect Amnesty will only get involved once the legal process has run its course.

Well I suppose it should come as no surprise to see the conspiracy theorists giving these monks who promote ethnic cleansing a pat on the back, they also praise the Burmese government for their help in the case even though the intl community is calling for an investigation for crimes against humanity, but hey if they support our conspiracy let's turn a blind eye to that.

Just like you ignore the fact that the man who chaperoned the B2 parents to the court also leads marches for mabatha.

IMG_1480660173047I.jpg

This is the second time in a month that there has been a Burmese-initiated protest. This comes after a long period of public silence.

The Burmese know and made it clear from the beginning that these convictions are nothing but a scripted farce. However, Myanmar - Thailand relations revolve around many factors and the scapegoating of a couple of penniless economic migrants is a fairly small issue. If there was a threat to the gas pipeline, for example, or the imprisoning of the son of a top Burmese general, you could expect a very quick Burmese response at the highest level.

It may be that Myanmar and Thailand are currently in negotiations over some issue and a bit of added pressure on the Koh Tao issue will put the Thais on the back foot. Alternatively, it could be a domestic issue. Political support and capital could be garnered by players in Myanmar by raising the issue.

In summary, the fact that the Burmese are sure the two are innocent and have publicly stated that is a very sure sign that this is in fact the case. In ASEAN, countries are very reluctant to get involved in neighbour's affairs and almost never publicly criticise another's judicial system.

Protest against Koh Tao verdict closes Thai embassy

tzhthai_embassy10_0.jpg?itok=IhKR3ix5

YANGON — A nationalist protest outside the Royal Thai Embassy in Yangon went ahead as planned Monday, as demonstrators prayed for the release of two Myanmar migrant workers sentenced to death in Thailand.

The consular section of the embassy was briefly closed by the protest, blocking several Myanmar citizens seeking visas to work in Thailand.

Protestors demanded the release of Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Tun, Myanmar citizens convicted of the murder of two British backpackers on the resort island of Koh Tao, following a controversial 2015 trial.

Both men had an appeal against their death sentences denied by a court last month.

Read the full story from Frontier Myanmar here.

• 2 weeks later...

U.K. Government,MET police,DC Lines hang your heads in shame,Uk have DNA from the deceased predating the arrest of Burmese boys FACT! My dignified silence really isn't working out for me,Uk will deny,I'm sure there will be negative repercussions for not being their puppet but I don't give a rats arse anymore..It won't change the fate of the boys,but the truth will be out ,there will be no doubts on my credibility to comment..

U.K. Government,MET police,DC Lines hang your heads in shame,Uk have DNA from the deceased predating the arrest of Burmese boys FACT! My dignified silence really isn't working out for me,Uk will deny,I'm sure there will be negative repercussions for not being their puppet but I don't give a rats arse anymore..It won't change the fate of the boys,but the truth will be out ,there will be no doubts on my credibility to comment..

What are you claiming?

This travesty carries on and on !! . One day for sure the true story will come out and confirm what everyone knows ,or almost everyone . To those you've carried on the fight over these years respect from me and many more who watch and follow and support . To those who defend this injustice of locking up innocents hang your heads ! You won't as you don't care ! But the world is still watching and where I'm from people are still talking about the innocence of the B 2 .

Edited by Nigeone

Just now, Nofaithleft said:

U.K. have the ability to prove dna once and for all,their samples predate the boys arrest..

Not sure I follow you here.

Are you saying the UK medical staff managed to extract  foreign DNA from Hannah's body after it was returned to the UK and this doesn't match the Burmese accused?

The time line ( predate) surely doesn't mean anything as the Thai medical staff extracted the foreign DNA from Hannah before the body was sent home. The fact it took a while to find a 'match' is neither here nor there.

Even if the UK police or authorities have dna samples it won't make an ounce of difference to the truthers, they will still believe the Rakhine rapists are innocent.

It will just be another group to add to the never ending list of people involved in their daft conspiracy.

On 3/29/2017 at 8:33 AM, DiscoDan said:

Even if the UK police or authorities have dna samples it won't make an ounce of difference to the truthers, they will still believe the Rakhine rapists are innocent.

It will just be another group to add to the never ending list of people involved in their daft conspiracy.

Disco Dan, No faith Left has always had faith, cos hes got something that can cripple the countries tourism forever.

I think you need to listen to No faith left.

I reckon he is the most powerful man in Thai tourism.

I know who he is..