British PM May to reject Scottish referendum demand - Times newspaper

webfact

21 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Can you please elaborate on the Anti-English sentiment? Anti Tory I will accept, but I am yet to hear a convincing argument that Scottish independence is driven by Anti-English sentiment.

I know of at least one SNP/Scottish independence supporter with anti English sentiments!

A post which concludes

Whatever the English want, the rest have to go along with it whether they like it or not, because they are merely the extremities.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I know of at least one SNP/Scottish independence supporter with anti English sentiments!

A post which concludes

A gross misrepresentation of my post for no purpose other than mischief making. My post was not a dig at anyone but simply a statement of fact. If the shoe was on the other foot, the converse would hold true.

It appears to me that Scots want independence but would like to stay in the union, and the EU!:shock1:

One thing is undeniable, the UK Parliament pays scant regard to the wishes of NI, Wales, and Scotland.  This situation is totally unacceptable. 

I believe that key votes must have a proviso requiring at least 3 of the countries in agreement.

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

A gross misrepresentation of my post for no purpose other than mischief making. My post was not a dig at anyone but simply a statement of fact. If the shoe was on the other foot, the converse would hold true.

Not a dig at anyone when you say

Whatever the English want, the rest have to go along with it whether they like it or not

If that is not a dig at the English; what did you mean by it?

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It appears to me that Scots want independence but would like to stay in the union, and the EU!:shock1:

One thing is undeniable, the UK Parliament pays scant regard to the wishes of NI, Wales, and Scotland.  This situation is totally unacceptable. 

I believe that key votes must have a proviso requiring at least 3 of the countries in agreement.

The UK Parliament is that; the UK Parliament. It governs the whole of the UK.

The Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish have their own assemblies for their own matters (though the Northern Irish one is in disarray at the moment) with variable powers. The Scottish Parliament being the most powerful of the three.

9 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Not a dig at anyone when you say

If that is not a dig at the English; what did you mean by it?

It means what any person not intent on creating noise from nothing would infer - the English, being the significant majority in the union, will always hold the balance of power, whether it be the election of a Tory government, the Brexit debate or any other national plebiscite.

3 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

The UK Parliament is that; the UK Parliament. It governs the whole of the UK.

The Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish have their own assemblies for their own matters (though the Northern Irish one is in disarray at the moment) with variable powers. The Scottish Parliament being the most powerful of the three.

Yes, I see that, but reluctantly I do see the Nat's point on this one. 

Effectively England has a permanent majority over just about anything that is important,eg, Brexit, and the Tories are increasingly the only party likely to find themselves in government.  

In matters such as this, constiruent countries must be able to block the  vote, a sort of one country one vote.  Only where appropriate- the Brexit vote clearly being one such example.

In all honesty, the Brexit referendum was a pig's ear of a result.  All it showed was England was divided, as was the Union.  Hardly a glowing mandate.

UK is long overdue an overhaul if it is to survive.

3 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

It means what any person not intent on creating noise from nothing would infer - the English, being the significant majority in the union, will always hold the balance of power, whether it be the election of a Tory government, the Brexit debate or any other national plebiscite.

This is indisputable imo.  And in order to reward the majority of Scots, Welsh, and NI that continue to stay loyal to the union, the UK must change pretty quickly.

If we are honest, the Brexit result looks like landing us with a situation that even most of us English didn't want or vote for, ie, hard Brexit.  A more honest reflection would at least see us stay in the single market.

It occurs to me that if Scotlands referendum is in favour of splitting from the UK with a view to keeping close to the EU then there maybe some useful side effects. How many pointy heads would prefer living in Scotland? Would the Edinburgh mafia welcome an influx of banks, insurers, law firms and financial services companies?

I told you The Famous Grouse was good!

Fantastic - post of the day in my book. 300 years back from where you clearly are would see the first creatures emerge from the sea.

You should probably be aware that the police are now investigating a catalogue of online threats to the First Minister.

Unfortunately online trolls are the Vermin and disease of the internet, it's one of the main justifications I refuse to use FB too.

I certainly hope this kind of action is nipped in the bud sharpish as it's detracts from the bigger strategic more important issues that lay ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Excuse for minor thread distraction, however the SNP are planning to vote against Buckingham Palace repairs.

My question is, is the SG or Royal family responsibilities of Ballater Castle, Balmoral estates?

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/snp-to-vote-against-369m-buckingham-palace-repairs-a3490331.html

I am not sure about that one - according to Wikipedia, the castle and estates are the private property of the monarch and not the Crown, however whether she is expected to pay for their upkeep is not clear to me.

Balmoral Estates generates an income - possibly that is retained to pay for the upkeep of the castle?

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

They can't retain what the don't have. The UK has EU membership, not Scotland. An independent Scotland would have to apply like any other candidate. 

She lies as she has before because to her the end justifies the result. And that end is Scottish independence for the hated English regardless of any consequences or considerations.

She knows that but is trying to hood wink a few gullible EU remainers knowing that even if Scotland were to be invited to join the EU the terms would not be acceptable. 

As pointed out already how can anybody want Independence from the UK but surrender their sovereignty to the EU???  

31 minutes ago, gummy said:

Great, Edinburgh is already the UK centre for gays.  That explain a lot about about their limp wristed attitudes. 

What happened to Brighton?

I love Edinburgh; does that make me gay? I don't think I have the legs for it ?

26 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Fantastic - post of the day in my book. 300 years back from where you clearly are would see the first creatures emerge from the sea.

You should probably be aware that the police are now investigating a catalogue of online threats to the First Minister.

Well creatures crawling out of the sea clearly fits your posting profile

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

What happened to Brighton?

I love Edinburgh; does that make me gay? I don't think I have the legs for it ?

no of course not but there must be a similar DNA upset should you support the SNP.

As for Brighton then Edinburgh took over that mantle some time back according to reports

I am not sure about that one - according to Wikipedia, the castle and estates are the private property of the monarch and not the Crown, however whether she is expected to pay for their upkeep is not clear to me.
Balmoral Estates generates an income - possibly that is retained to pay for the upkeep of the castle?

Revenue earned ploughed back into the estate would certainly be plausible, however another way of finding out if the annual accounts were accessed via the open source means, i.e. The monarch website.

I understand the austerity element, however meddling and using the royal estates are not something that's a political pawn nor used for point scoring either.

23 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

PRINCE Charles is planning to gift the royal family’s holiday home at Balmoral to the Scottish nation when he becomes King.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/64624/Charles-to-give-Balmoral-to-Scottish-nation

Costs £3m/year to run and gets about £1/2m income from visitors, not sure how much revenue is raised from the estate, the Queen has to stump up the rest,

1 hour ago, gummy said:

no of course not but there must be a similar DNA upset should you support the SNP.

As for Brighton then Edinburgh took over that mantle some time back according to reports

I bow to your superior knowledge on gay stuff....

Another reminder that Scotland's best hope is remain in the U.K.

The Spanish are just one member apparently supposed to Scotland's EU dream (as I re-read on their website today).

The following lefty article hits the nail on the head.

Why Spain will block any attempt by Scotland to join the EU - the guardian
https://apple.news/AHfzmPrygQJSQcZrMecmAMg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:54 AM, daveAustin said:

Indeed, I'm all for them finding their feet (there's only so much berating and whining a man can put up with), and they'd have to if the EU doesn't want them. A big gamble though from net receiver, to hopeful net receiver to potentially having to pay one's way. On the title: British PM May to reject Scottish referendum demand - Times newspaper after which millions of sane Scots breathe a sigh of relief.

Aside: That woman goes on about the nukes, but with an ever-belligerent Russia buzzing the borders, she should be thankful she has the luxury of a neighbour with the big firecrackers to ward off any and all aggressors that fancy taking some Scottish soil... part of UK or no. A bit of grace and humbleness wouldn't go amiss.

The UK is net receiver, not Scotland get your facts straight

Another reminder that Scotland's best hope is remain in the U.K.

The Spanish are just one member apparently supposed to Scotland's EU dream (as I re-read on their website today).

The following lefty article hits the nail on the head.

Why Spain will block any attempt by Scotland to join the EU - the guardian
https://apple.news/AHfzmPrygQJSQcZrMecmAMg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You posted this shameful example of journalistic deceit on the other thread and I explained there that even the article itself doesn't back up the lie in the headline.

SNP has really come to prominence on the back of world nationalism/populism, but there are signs now that this phenomena is peaking and might well be in decline quite soon.  Wilders is the latest not to poll as highly as he might have done. 

On a connected issue, it may be we will be faced with 2 absurdities in a few year's time: an Indyref2 that most people dont want, and a Brexit to match.  To take the latter: what happens if Brexit is about to go ahead, but opinion polls show 60% of UK don't want it?  This is not unrealistic because that was the minimum support base for a while.

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

You posted this shameful example of journalistic deceit on the other thread and I explained there that even the article itself doesn't back up the lie in the headline.

We can say that Spain would likely block any attempt for a long time, in order to dissuade Catalonia, and Basque region from doing the same.  It is too strong to assert that Spain will block Scotland for all time.  Disengaging from UK woiuld be just as fraught as Brexit.  Neither country is really in any sort of financial position not to be badly effected.

IMO, I could not see Scotland reaching EU membership for a decade or more.  People forget the financial requirements, which remain Scotland's biggest hurdle.  Oddly, in becoming independent, Scotland makes itself even more dependent than ever on UK. 

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

SNP has really come to prominence on the back of world nationalism/populism, but there are signs now that this phenomena is peaking and might well be in decline quite soon.  Wilders is the latest not to poll as highly as he might have done. 

We do have people in Scotland who espouse the same type of views as Wilders, but they tend, funnily enough, to also be ardent unionists (SDL for example). There are the Siol nan Gaidheal nutters on the independence side who have equally odious views about maintaining racial purity etc, but they are so niche that they are almost invisible. I know next to nothing about them because they are virtually non-existent. If I had to liken the SNP to any other mainstream movement, I would be more inclined to compare them to the Pirate Party, where the wave of discontent that they ride on is inclusive, not exclusive.

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

We do have people in Scotland who espouse the same type of views as Wilders, but they tend, funnily enough, to also be ardent unionists (SDL for example). There are the Siol nan Gaidheal nutters on the independence side who have equally odious views about maintaining racial purity etc, but they are so niche that they are almost invisible. I know next to nothing about them because they are virtually non-existent. If I had to liken the SNP to any other mainstream movement, I would be more inclined to compare them to the Pirate Party, where the wave of discontent that they ride on is inclusive, not exclusive.

Sure, it is not as pure as say as Farage's bunch, but look the clue is in the party name.