Brexit bill: Lords pass landmark legislation on leaving EU

webfact

Brexit bill: Lords pass landmark legislation on leaving EU

LONDON: -- The House of Lords has passed the Brexit bill, paving the way for the government to trigger Article 50 so the UK can leave the EU.

Peers backed down over the issues of EU residency rights and a meaningful vote on the final Brexit deal after their objections were overturned by MPs.

The bill is expected to receive Royal Assent and become law on Tuesday.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39262081

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-03-14

26 minutes ago, Aforek said:

Good riddance, Britain, and don't come back when you are poor . EU does  not  want you and does not  need you

I think you've got it all wrong. we love Europe, it's the E.U. we don't like, the same as an increasing number of people throughout this so-called Union.  

1 hour ago, Aforek said:

Good riddance, Britain, and don't come back when you are poor . EU does  not  want you and does not  need you

We are poorer due to the excessive amount we pay to the EU layabouts. Richer we will be.

2 hours ago, Aforek said:

Wow ,what good news and here was i thinking they wanted us , they tried so hard to make us stay now we can go with no regrets .

2 hours ago, Aforek said:

It is attitudes like this which have caused so much dissatisfaction with the EU in the first place and it isn't confined to the UK. It's such a shame.

Edited by baboon

One presumes that the comment was or is made by a person who is resident here in Thailand so we should ask ,''what are the reasons and the logic concerning your interest in the issue?

3 hours ago, Aforek said:

Sounds like "sour grapes" talk here.As The UK goes,so goes their money  contributions that The EU has been using to loan/give to failing governments of The EU such as Greece,Spain Italy.ect.Now you alone continue to shore up these countries while also absorbing the cost of your immigration blunders.Please copy your statement here so that you will be reminded of the ignorance of your knowledge of the worlds ranking in governments worth.

2 hours ago, shunter said:

One presumes that the comment was or is made by a person who is resident here in Thailand so we should ask ,''what are the reasons and the logic concerning your interest in the issue?

Actually it appears the comment was made by a Scot, those well balanced people. A chip on both shoulders

2 hours ago, baboon said:

It is attitudes like this which have caused so much dissatisfaction with the EU in the first place and it isn't confined to the UK. It's such a shame.

Actually the UK never joined the EU.  They joined, after a referendum, the Common Market.   Had it stayed that way I think there would be unity to this day  but unfortunately the unelected become the mace bearers and led it ( the common market) down a road to what they hoped would become a federal Europe.  Morphing on the way to the EU .  Actually it will be interesting to see the outcome of the other European elections as for sure, whilst they may convince themselves the UK leaving is not the end of the EU, another member state doing so would be the death knell as the Euro potentially could become a junk currency very soon after. Still they could always offer Turkey "instant" membership to prop it up.

3 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Actually the UK never joined the EU.  They joined, after a referendum, the Common Market.   Had it stayed that way I think there would be unity to this day  but unfortunately the unelected become the mace bearers and led it ( the common market) down a road to what they hoped would become a federal Europe.  Morphing on the way to the EU .  Actually it will be interesting to see the outcome of the other European elections as for sure, whilst they may convince themselves the UK leaving is not the end of the EU, another member state doing so would be the death knell as the Euro potentially could become a junk currency very soon after. Still they could always offer Turkey "instant" membership to prop it up.

The UK joined in 1973, the referendum 1975

3 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

The UK joined in 1973, the referendum 1975

Correct but it was not the EU then. It was the EC commonly referred to as the common market. I for one voted to remain in the common market during the referendum . I think many of us would never have done so had we understood that the intent by the French and Germans was to turn it into the EU and a federalised Europe. As a trading idea it was great but anything else was bound to end up with major stability issues

1 minute ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Correct but it was not the EU then. It was the EC commonly referred to as the common market. I for one voted to remain in the common market during the referendum . I think many of us would never have done so had we understood that the intent by the French and Germans was to turn it into the EU and a federalised Europe. As a trading idea it was great but anything else was bound to end up with major stability issues

As Enoch Powell acknowledged in 1975 on referendum night , the public had been clearly told what the consequences of staying in entailed.

Just now, rockingrobin said:

As Enoch Powell acknowledged in 1975 on referendum night , the public had been clearly told what the consequences of staying in entailed.

And some of us did not listen to him at the time, nor Tony Benn,  because their were so many counter arguments.  ( A lesson learned by me that has served me well since)  to listen to all sides rather than the one you want to hear.  Enoch was a perceptive man. Previously his "rivers of blood" speech was taken literally and scorned upon.  Of course now, look how near the truth he was concerning the immigrant issues throughout Europe, one of the main reasons I suspect for those voting for BREXIT

10 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

And some of us did not listen to him at the time, nor Tony Benn,  because their were so many counter arguments.  ( A lesson learned by me that has served me well since)  to listen to all sides rather than the one you want to hear.  Enoch was a perceptive man. Previously his "rivers of blood" speech was taken literally and scorned upon.  Of course now, look how near the truth he was concerning the immigrant issues throughout Europe, one of the main reasons I suspect for those voting for BREXIT

Of course you have the right to oppose  EU membership and I respect that.However forgive me for saying that you cant really complain about what the EU as become if you chose to exercise a democratic right to remain uninformed when given the opportunity

10 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

Of course you have the right to oppose  EU membership and I respect that.However forgive me for saying that you cant really complain about what the EU as become if you chose to exercise a democratic right to remain uninformed when given the opportunity

I agree with you and as I said it was a lessoned learned. no good going forward if you do not learn by your mistakes.  However I did not vote this time round

Edited by whatawonderfulday

The problem was and is,  that at the time of the 1975 Common Market referendum there was no concept at all concerning  the E U .

I know as I voted in that referendum.

Truth be known the whole issue was a pig in a poke sales pitch based upon Edward Heath's information which was later proved to be  a wonderful concoction of  romantic notions!!!

The Common Market was metamorphosed for the want of a better description or perhaps I should say ''press ganged'' into the E U  with all the decisions being taken by The non elected E U leaders of the time.

The  general public I E. the electorate were never consulted at all regarding the E U  issue. Now the consequences of those actions or you might say inaction's and deeds or misdeeds are now having their effect or repercussions on the whole issue.

The United Kingdom European Communities referendum of 1975, also known as the Common Market referendum and EECmembership referendum was a referendum held on 5 June 1975 in the United Kingdom to gauge support for the country's continued membership of the European Communities (EC)

Edited by shunter

We have to hope and pray that with the upcoming elections in the EU member countries, they will be mortally injured  Without the EU (in it's current form) Britain will be worse off but without the EU being there at all, it's back to a level playing field.  

I did notice that even though May has been given the go-ahead she isn't expected to make an announcement to trigger the article until the end of the month let alone today!

Edited by dunroaming

9 hours ago, Aforek said:

This kind of attitude is one of the reasons we are leaving, but why so angry if you don't want or need us? It can't just be sour grapes, can it? I sense fear that the country with the creativity, individuality, ideas, nous and any real balls leaving is showing through as anger in some of the EU sheeple. In realty, your ordinary 'follower' countries (MOST OF WHICH ARE NET RECIPIENTS) would do anything to keep Britain in.

As to the UK being poorer, if it happens then so be it, it will cut both ways I'm afraid. But I would sooner have my country down at heel and out of that joke of a setup than be on my knees grovelling like the cringe-worthy embarrassment we all were.

5 hours ago, heroKK said:

Switzerland and Norway are poor countries ? aren't they ?

Both those countries have something special. UK doesn't.

UK never really wanted to be a EU member, so I guess this is good for both parties. UK will get it's independence, what ever that means. Later Scotland and Northern Ireland will have their own freedoms.

Brexit however is a sad thing for science co-operation, but EU will most likely absorb the best minds to EU side.