Brexit bill: Lords pass landmark legislation on leaving EU

webfact

26 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Both those countries have something special. UK doesn't.

I think there will be major challenges in the near future , also I am far from a blind nationalist , yet even so your statement is absurd on so many levels.

Edited by joecoolfrog

One thing isn't in doubt and that is that in reality we are all peeing in the wind over this.  We can all speculate but it is all completely in the air as to where we will end up.  In a couple of years time (or maybe longer) some of us will be nodding smugly and some of us will be keeping our heads down and murmuring into our beer.

In the meantime we will just have to keep guessing!

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

As to the UK being poorer, if it happens then so be it, it will cut both ways I'm afraid. But I would sooner have my country down at heel and out of that joke of a setup than be on my knees grovelling like the cringe-worthy embarrassment we all were.

It could and very likely will be, considerably worse...

Right now it's primarily a cultural war, next comes the real thing... and those who seek to weaken our economic unions and alliances and mock our values  (from Putin to ISIS et al) can hardly believe how relatively easy it has been as we accelerate in a head-long rush for their agenda, all cloaked in a thinly veiled false-pride  of nationalism which harkens back to the 1930's:

"This war seeks, at home and abroad, to erode our values, our democracy and our institutional strength; to dilute our ability to sort fact from fiction, or moral right from wrong; and to convince us to make decisions against our own best interests."
http://www.politico.eu/article/putin-trump-sanctions-news-hacking-analysis/

"POPULIST parties of both right and left, many pro-Russian, did well in last May’s European elections. UKIP’s leader, Nigel Farage, has called Mr Putin the world leader he most admires"
http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21643222-who-backs-putin-and-why-kremlins-pocket

"Trump becomes isolationist, which weakens NATO. The EU, for all its many awful faults, has prevented a war in Europe for longer than ever before. -people don’t realise they’re embarking on a route that will lead to a destruction period."
https://medium.com/@theonlytoby/history-tells-us-what-will-happen-next-with-brexit-trump-a3fefd154714#.doe188a2j

Good luck to formerly Great Britain and also to the former shining light across the pond. PJ Harvey was right. England''s dancing days are done (as well as the EU, the US, the entire West) Well done Nationalists, you are certainly 'winning' your cause (as Putin, ISIS et al applaud)...

On 3/14/2017 at 8:39 AM, Aforek said:

Good riddance, Britain, and don't come back when you are poor . EU does  not  want you and does not  need you

Your good wishes are heartily reciprocated. It was our decision to leave because we did not want the EU.  I saw no sign beforehand that the EU wanted to get rid of the UK, in fact much regret was voiced within the EU  when the Brexit decision was announced.  Poor or not, we have no intention of "coming back" as we have no wish to be a member of the planned "United States of Europe".  Good luck to the remaining 27 countries who might end up being dragged into it and be dominated by one particular country which appears to be assuming leadership.

20 hours ago, oilinki said:

UK never really wanted to be a EU member, so I guess this is good for both parties. UK will get it's independence, what ever that means. Later Scotland and Northern Ireland will have their own freedoms.

Brexit however is a sad thing for science co-operation, but EU will most likely absorb the best minds to EU side.

You are right, we did not want to be an EU member, what we wanted was to be a member of a Common Market, which was what we originally joined.  As a result it is true that we have probably been considered a difficult member, which is not too surprising as we were a people being dragged kicking and screaming (with the help of weak leaders) into a political union eventually leading no doubt into a United States of Europe.  Northern Ireland will remain in the UK. as will Scotland despite all the political shenanigans of their "tunnel-vision" leader with her single agenda.