Left open doors, gates etc??? Just me????

moonseeker

Is it just me that experiences this? Any staff -  in-house or external - like internet guys, contractors, maint. guys etc. on most my properties never ever close gates or doors, even so there are signs 

in Thai etc. etc.

Is it just ignorance or ignorance combined with arrogance. Or plein "I don't give a sh.... stupid, rich falang!" ? 

I treat all these people nice, tip them well, get them cold drinks & fruit etc. when I am around. I ask them friendly to close the doors or access after leaving, 9 out of 10 don't!........

But I am slowly feeling I should change and be like most my friends. Tell them off and make complaints with admin office, where available. It is slowly but surely pissing me off.

I just consider it unfair and can not imagine why these people act like this.Treating people nicely seems to have more and more a negative effect, especially with young Thais. I don't even get 

into the quality of work or mess they leave every single time. Ore do we find  a similar excuse, like:  "they dump garbage everywhere, because they are used to bio-disposable banana-leafs, these

poor, underprivileged people?

Pretty lame, ne? Rant over.....Going out to close the gate the third time today!:post-4641-1156693976: MS>

Edited by moonseeker

They do tend to leave gates open. If you have the same workpeople for awhile they will get used to shutting the gates etc. Mine even put the lock in the gate to stop their dogs pushing it open.

So takes a while.

So you look after your workers? Pay the great ones B 400 per day? Pay then daily?Supply Sponsor and energy drinks? A toilet and wash basin? A bottle of Lao kaw after work at 5 pm?

Bloody messy, but so are most tradespeople these days. If inside work, don't let them drill etc until you have the vacuum cleaner on the hole they are drilling. Now, after too much mess while building, my wife follows them everywhere with the vacuum cleaner.

If you have 5 clean rooms, they will find a way to create mess in all rooms. You have to clean up after them, and make sure you start each new day with a clean area.

My guys are great now, clean and neat.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

OP you are not alone, we have that same problem, whenever people come inside our gate.

Our village ( like many others ) has a serious roaming dog problem.

We have chickens etc, and have had problems with dogs getting in and killing them.

Nobody and i say nobody closes the gate, unless i shout to them to close it.

Just laziness.  Put gates at my in-laws house because my wife told them it is a good idea and make it more secure.  Too much trouble for them to close it.   So now I electrified them with a timed self closer. The gates keep closed but now they are bitching that they have to press the remote each time to open it. No hope for them really.  

Many Thais will also spend 10 minutes brushing their teeth yet won't spend 1 minute cleaning a toilet and as the other poster commented upon,  some Thais are never short of new ways in which to turn a neat and clean house into a shit hole.

I have a condo in View Talay 2A, Jomtien. I like to use the stairs insted of the lifts. Evert time I come to the fire door on floor 3 it is always and forever open. No matter how many times I close it, I would bet my life that if I were to pass it again 30 minutes later it will be open all the way again. I have checked it for draughs that might be causing it to open. I have checked the spring. I have looked inside the corridore to see if there is a condo door open and the fire door is being delibrately left open to cause a draught for the occupier....but no...everything seems to be in order...... Ghosts....maybe?

There is an obvious good reason for fire doors to be keep closed.

Where I live they are clean.

How many western people wear their dirty filthy, dog poo coated shoes inside, on the carpeted floor?

If you picture your country back 20 years, you may see the resemblances. Specially a rural country.

1 minute ago, carlyai said:

Where I live they are clean.

How many western people wear their dirty filthy, dog poo coated shoes inside, on the carpeted floor?

If you picture your country back 20 years, you may see the resemblances. Specially a rural country.

If you picture your country back 20  200 years, you may see the resemblances

What gets me, is the wife tells me that if our dog; or any dogs, causes someone passing by on a motorcycle, 

to have an accident, then the owners are responsible for the hospital and motorcycle repair.

So I say that sounds like a great excuse to keep the dog inside our yard, 

as it should be, and to more importantly "keep the gate closed".

Yet everyday,

for the past five years at this residence,

I either have to ask the kids or wife to close the gate behind them, 

and latch it; as the dog is smart enough to push the gate open,

or I have to close it myself.

Yet they think I am the doorman / bellman,

therefore it's not their responsibility to assist with this.

What also gets me is when the family pulls up to the house,

they love to park their motorcycle on the curb, 

keys inside the ignition, ready for the next trip.

Never think to bring the ride inside,

it's to much bother for them.

Late at night, they want me to bring it in for them.

Usually they never went anywhere else after their last trip.

Keep in mind I follow what I preach,

and bring mine in each time, 

and maintain my own policy of keeping the gate shut.

Moral of the story:

Thai's act like it's our job to look after them...

When I'm perfectly fine to look after myself, 

just wish they would do the same.

Look how many times the side doors at Big C Extra are left open, letting humid, hot air inside and challenging the already poor air con in the food court. Then Thais stand around fanning themselves inside because it's hot. They just can't seem to make the mental connection, even after decades of exposure to air con environments. 

I have about a dozen examples of repair guys leaving an absolute mess on the floor. One time I came back from Canada to see tracked-in dirt and air con cleaning debris all over the washroom floor where they cleaned the filters. This was on arrival after 24 hours of travel. I had to mop up the apartment floor and washroom floor before I could even think of unpacking because it was so dirty. This was one time I took up this subject with the manager who was very apologetic about it and she sent cleaners in next time they cleaned the a/c unit.  

They just don't get it. 

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I have a condo in View Talay 2A, Jomtien. I like to use the stairs insted of the lifts. Evert time I come to the fire door on floor 3 it is always and forever open. No matter how many times I close it, I would bet my life that if I were to pass it again 30 minutes later it will be open all the way again. I have checked it for draughs that might be causing it to open. I have checked the spring. I have looked inside the corridore to see if there is a condo door open and the fire door is being delibrately left open to cause a draught for the occupier....but no...everything seems to be in order...... Ghosts....maybe?

There is an obvious good reason for fire doors to be keep closed.

Why? If there is a fire one can run out and don't have to open the door first (:

I once had a Thai g/f whose English speaking 20yr old daughter had an aversion to locking doors.  Not too bad in daytime, but she liked to go clubbing with her uni friends and often got back home 3am/5am. If she came home at that time with a friend it was often the friend who took the blame for not locking the doors. Talk about lack of responsibility. Thankfully she and her mother are long gone.

3 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Just laziness.  Put gates at my in-laws house because my wife told them it is a good idea and make it more secure.  Too much trouble for them to close it.   So now I electrified them with a timed self closer. The gates keep closed but now they are bitching that they have to press the remote each time to open it. No hope for them really.  

Many Thais will also spend 10 minutes brushing their teeth yet won't spend 1 minute cleaning a toilet and as the other poster commented upon,  some Thais are never short of new ways in which to turn a neat and clean house into a shit hole.

' So now I electrified them ...' The gates? Or the in-laws?

16 hours ago, moonseeker said:

I just consider it unfair and can not imagine why these people act like this.Treating people nicely seems to have more and more a negative effect, especially with young Thais.

I long ago gave up being nice to Thais. It's pointless.

I blame Thai ignorance.....ignorance to look over the shoulder when entering somewhere to check if someone is right behind you; ignorance of using every cm2 of tarmac without caring motorbike that could ealily pass in the bloody heat; ignorance  and being blind to any kind of consequence of actions made.....

Is it done on purpose? Mostly not. It has nothing to do with actions against people or a person, they aren't even aware of other people being around. 

O yes, the air-con on 18-C and windows and doors open, because it gets to cold, is another super annoyance. No matter how many times the office is asked to leave it on 25 C, the next day it is down to18 C.

But a friend who owns a few hotels, tells me the same about his guests. Many of them leaving air  running, even if out of the room. Until units freeze up  and windows are wet with condensation water.

Ignorance & lack of caring for others and nature....??? Sad world. MS>

10 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Rubbish.My Thai GF spends a lot of time cleaning her house.When she comes to my condo, the first thing she does is start sweeping. Thais are a lot cleaner than many Westerners.

She and the kids understand I want doors kept closed to keep mosquitoes out.

Perhaps you are living in the wrong part of Thailand.

23 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Is it just me that experiences this? Any staff -  in-house or external - like internet guys, contractors, maint. guys etc. on most my properties never ever close gates or doors,

no not just you! my in-house staff is ok but any externals... :bah:

Edited by Naam

12 hours ago, ajarnmarc said:

What gets me, is the wife tells me that if our dog; or any dogs, causes someone passing by on a motorcycle, 

to have an accident, then the owners are responsible for the hospital and motorcycle repair.

So I say that sounds like a great excuse to keep the dog inside our yard, 

as it should be, and to more importantly "keep the gate closed".

Yet everyday,

for the past five years at this residence,

I either have to ask the kids or wife to close the gate behind them, 

and latch it; as the dog is smart enough to push the gate open,

or I have to close it myself.

Yet they think I am the doorman / bellman,

therefore it's not their responsibility to assist with this.

What also gets me is when the family pulls up to the house,

they love to park their motorcycle on the curb, 

keys inside the ignition, ready for the next trip.

Never think to bring the ride inside,

it's to much bother for them.

Late at night, they want me to bring it in for them.

Usually they never went anywhere else after their last trip.

Keep in mind I follow what I preach,

and bring mine in each time, 

and maintain my own policy of keeping the gate shut.

Moral of the story:

Thai's act like it's our job to look after them...

When I'm perfectly fine to look after myself, 

just wish they would do the same.

Not all Thai's are the same. My wife would never leave her bike outside. It is always parked under the roof. Keeping the gate closed or front door closed is not an issue. My farther-in-law moved in with us after my mother in law died and every night before he goes to bed he goes outside a and checks the gate.  However most of the time when workers come to the house yes, they will leave gate/doors open. 

3 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Rubbish.My Thai GF spends a lot of time cleaning her house.When she comes to my condo, the first thing she does is start sweeping. Thais are a lot cleaner than many Westerners.

She and the kids understand I want doors kept closed to keep mosquitoes out.

Perhaps you are living in the wrong part of Thailand.

Sweeping another Thai stupidity.  We have vacuum cleaners to suck the dirt up.  but oh no much better to use a crap broom to sweep the dirt through the house until it is lost somewhere.

25 minutes ago, ericthai said:

Not all Thai's are the same. My wife would never leave her bike outside. It is always parked under the roof. Keeping the gate closed or front door closed is not an issue. My farther-in-law moved in with us after my mother in law died and every night before he goes to bed he goes outside a and checks the gate.  However most of the time when workers come to the house yes, they will leave gate/doors open. 

....Keys inside for the next trip??  I'd hide the keys for awhile and watch the antics...........

It's their nature, they just don't really think about it.

I have also noticed they will toss bits of rubbish and cigarette butts in your garden, as if they do not regard it as part of your home.

You might as well complain to the cat.

Edited by jacko45k

Another thing of ignorance: you have a problem in your home; a contractors comes along and starts to solve your problem. 

After they've left you'll notice that they've created at least 2 other problems. 

On vary rare occasians contractors clean the place and leave it spotless and without causing other problems.