Watch as this Bangkok taxi meter goes turbo mode

snoop1130

Watch as this Bangkok taxi meter goes turbo mode

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

BANGKOK — A woman who claims she fell victim to the latest “turbo taxi” scam in east Bangkok posted a video online of what appears to be a suspiciously hyperactive taxi meter.

Maneerat Mook Wko said she hailed the cab in Bangkok’s Ramkhamhaeng area Wednesday night and noticed the fare made several jumps within a matter of minutes, convincing her it must be rigged. She said the final fare was more than 100 baht for the short ride.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/transpo/2017/03/16/watch-bangkok-taxi-meter-go-turbo-mode-video/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-3-16

And the driver saying that it's not him that has done anything with the taxi-meter it's the government and all other taxis are the same... there is government decision on a hike on the taxi fares but not THAT much!

Experienced that for the first time recently on the way to immigration. No traffic, same expressway route always 150 baht but this time 350.
That meter went ballistic and I picked up on it immediately.
But what can you do? Call the police over a few hundred baht. Report him he will just say there was heavy traffic

I had the same happen  coming from the airport , the regular 28KM trip was 40KM

I knew it early when on the motorway the KM markers would go 30% over on the meter ,

But what can you really do about it ?  They driver said OK, I take you back to airport ,  ummmmm no thanks I could be dead on the side of the road.....

If this is happening at the official taxi area at BKK airport you know its known ,

And it does not matter if you are a Thai or a Tourist

Take the Taxis and impound them for 30 days , that may stop them

I know its not always possible but depending on where I am if it happens to me as soon as I notice I get the guy to stop and pay there and then. Cut your losses and get another taxi.  

For sure a lot of crooked taxis around but a lot of straight ones also.

Hardly turbo speed; a brisk walk, perhaps. Either way, time to cut losses and do as the passenger in the video did, albeit too politely for my taste - tell the driver to stop, pay the fare without tip, alight and hail another taxi. 

18 hours ago, payttayasquirt said:

Experienced that for the first time recently on the way to immigration. No traffic, same expressway route always 150 baht but this time 350.
That meter went ballistic and I picked up on it immediately.
But what can you do? Call the police over a few hundred baht. Report him he will just say there was heavy traffic

Because of people like you with no balls not calling the police or taking a video or photo of his name and number they will continue to get away with it.

If they just use smaller rims/tires the meter will run faster.

Film his id-card and report him...

Last week i was in a taxi which had scratched the number of the passenger backdoor off the plate but there should be his number for the passenger to see...also it's left under the windscreen.

Some weeks ago i also had a rigged meter taxi from the airport, it was 100 baht more as usual and there was not even trafficjam.

Mr Prayut just can't control them....

19 hours ago, TVGerry said:

And the government wants to take away our Uber and put us back in the mercy of these taxi crooks. I really hate these taxi scum.

Yeah, every single one of Thailand's taxis are set up like this, they're all scum!  Oh, hang on...no, they're not, it's a tiny minority. 

At least the taxi is legal (apart from the meter) and passengers will be covered by insurance which is more than can be said for those using the unregistered, unlicenced, uninsured Uber cars.

19 hours ago, fruitman said:

At night the bad taxi's come out, illegal licenses, rigged meters, spraypainted to look like a new one, ones with loads of damage.

Illegal licences, how do you know?

On 16/03/2017 at 0:28 AM, fruitman said:

At night the bad taxi's come out, illegal licenses, rigged meters, spraypainted to look like a new one, ones with loads of damage.

Ones that park across all 4 lanes in front of RCA.

19 hours ago, fruitman said:

If they just use smaller rims/tires the meter will run faster.

Film his id-card and report him...

Last week i was in a taxi which had scratched the number of the passenger backdoor off the plate but there should be his number for the passenger to see...also it's left under the windscreen.

Some weeks ago i also had a rigged meter taxi from the airport, it was 100 baht more as usual and there was not even trafficjam.

Mr Prayut just can't control them....

And if you were in your own country would you blame your President or PM for crooked behaviour?

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

There are some cheats out there ....

Try to avoid BKK cabs and get an All thai taxi co car if you can ...

Better to not suggest that all Bangkok taxis should be avoided, there is nothing wrong with the majority  but you're right about ATT, they cannot be faulted.

Last time a taxi driver attempted the 'meter broken' scam on me I made him stop immediately and got another cab.  He lost his place in the queue and no money from me.  But not all cabbies are scammers.  Recently took a cab from north BK to Bang Pi, about 25 kms (?).  When we got to my destination (used car parts) he parked his cab and wandered around with me for an hour to help me find my parts and then took me back to my hotel.  Total 650 baht for the fare and no charge for his three hours time.  I gave him 1500 baht and thanked him profusely.

Happened to me once from old Don Mueang to Bang Sue railway station. Noted it already on the highway. Meter showed 300B arriving at the railway station. I was in a hurry, train I needed was arriving whilst I still had to pay him and run with my luggage. Al I could do was curse the man...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect