More Farang Bad Behavior

These retards should get the full 2 years in general population in a Thai prison. Bad behavior in the world in general is getting worse, and this is just a another example of the idiocy of the millennial age group.

http://www.trailbuzz.net/backpackers-face-2-years-in-thai-jail-after-rampage-of-vandalism/?utm_campaign=Foreigners+Overseas+1&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fgroups%2Flivinginthailand

Edited by 61guitarman61

And then these pieces of garbage have the nerve to try to excuse their behavior due to their "ignorance of the law". I guess it's not frowned upon anywhere else on the globe to walk on national flags..... Actually, give them 3 years in prison....... Because they are total jerks........

When all said and done it's only a piece of cloth.

The flag of my country of birth,is used for all manner of things.

Tea towels,bath towels,toilet seat covers,bikini,shorts,flip flops,hats,door mats,to name a few.

Offensive?No.

The vandalism a minor offence.

Perhaps it has less to do with what's important to the foreigners, and more about what is important to the citizens. If some countries do not hold the symbol and banner of their country with patriotism that is indeed those countries prerogative. If, however, other countries are very patriotic and hold their country's colors and banner in high regard, is it the prerogative of a visitor to tell that country that they are just being silly and that the flag is just a piece of cloth or a doormat? That is what is wrong with our world today: liberal globalist people think they have the right to be anarchistic anywhere they travel. That they can do as they please and create their own laws or simply ignore  the laws of the land they are visiting. Don't forget that Thailand also has and enforces the law of les-majeste, whereby simply speaking badly about the royal family is punishable by prison time, and this is not unique to Thailand. Poland, Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iran, and the UK all enforce les-majeste.

The take away in this should be that people ought to be respecting the countries they visit. Personal opinion about the people, culture, religions, laws, politics etc are not any reason or excuse for flaunting that country's patriotism, laws, cultural climate, leaders, or patriotic symbols. If one wants to stand on a country's flag, that person should go home and stand on their own country's flag.

I (sort of) agree with some of the OP.

If you choose to visit another country you should respect their traditions and behave respectfully (according to their rules, not those of your home country).

However, a prison sentence of 2 years is way over the top for this type of crime. If these two young men were sentenced to 2 or 3 weeks behind bars, required to pay for the damage, and banned from re-entering Thailand, that would be more than sufficient.

I expect that most (maybe all) of the people who call for long prison sentences have no concept of what it is really  like to be locked in a prison cell. Lucky for me, all my experiences of prison are vicarious.

This topic has had a considerable airing previously. The 2 miscreants apologised long and hard. Were we all paragons of virtue at that age? Or have we become like the grumpies we used to disdain at that age?

15 hours ago, 61guitarman61 said:

And then these pieces of garbage have the nerve to try to excuse their behavior due to their "ignorance of the law". I guess it's not frowned upon anywhere else on the globe to walk on national flags..... Actually, give them 3 years in prison....... Because they are total jerks........

Their biggest problem is having no common sense while in a foreign country.

15 hours ago, 61guitarman61 said:

Perhaps it has less to do with what's important to the foreigners, and more about what is important to the citizens. If some countries do not hold the symbol and banner of their country with patriotism that is indeed those countries prerogative. If, however, other countries are very patriotic and hold their country's colors and banner in high regard, is it the prerogative of a visitor to tell that country that they are just being silly and that the flag is just a piece of cloth or a doormat? That is what is wrong with our world today: liberal globalist people think they have the right to be anarchistic anywhere they travel. That they can do as they please and create their own laws or simply ignore  the laws of the land they are visiting. Don't forget that Thailand also has and enforces the law of les-majeste, whereby simply speaking badly about the royal family is punishable by prison time, and this is not unique to Thailand. Poland, Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iran, and the UK all enforce les-majeste.

The take away in this should be that people ought to be respecting the countries they visit. Personal opinion about the people, culture, religions, laws, politics etc are not any reason or excuse for flaunting that country's patriotism, laws, cultural climate, leaders, or patriotic symbols. If one wants to stand on a country's flag, that person should go home and stand on their own country's flag.

The UK enforces les-majest???? Then why was I never arrested?

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The UK enforces les-majest???? Then why was I never arrested?

Pretty sure that in fact the UK doesn't have lese majeste laws any more, certainly doesn't enforce any if so.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

2 hours ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Pretty sure that in fact the UK doesn't have lese majeste laws any more, certainly doesn't enforce any if so.

They cannot have, I have never had any respect for British Royalty or the British Empire and their history.