Leaving on a 3month+ overstay?

So I haven't done this nor am I planning to I'm just wondering how immigration deals with this sort of thing. So assuming someone overstayed their visa by say 4 months, ik they get the 20k baht fine +  1 year ban now but would they have to have a return ticket to their country when leaving or would they be able to leave using a ticket to another country?

As stated, if the airline will let you check in (usually not a problem, with the exception noted of Laos) Thai immigration will fine you, stamp your passport with the blacklisting, give you a lecture and send you on your way wherever you want to go. However, some countries, on arrival at their immigration, seeing the Thai blacklisting, may interrogate you on the reasons, and might deny entry.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, P4K said:

thanks for the replies. How exactly does the blacklisting work, is it just a stamp in your passport? Whats stopping people who hold 2 passports from coming right back?

As I understand it, official blacklisting includes taking your fingerprints, photographing you, and registering you in an immigration blacklist database. This is in addition to the stamp in the passport. I think people are sometimes also given a separate letter that explains the reason for the blacklisting.

A dual national trying to return on another passport might get away with it, but the entry would certainly be illegal.

2 hours ago, P4K said:

thanks for the replies. How exactly does the blacklisting work, is it just a stamp in your passport? Whats stopping people who hold 2 passports from coming right back?

Looking for more trouble?

• Like 1

Immigration don't take kindly to persons who are blacklisted,  it is seen as someone who does not obey that countries immigration laws and is therefore frowned upon.

I don't know why someone would ask such questions on overstay etc ...

All's fine when you go to the airport, pay your fine, get blacklisted etc etc.

If you are picked up any time in the last few days of the 90, say day 88 you will spend a nice few days free of charge in the IDC Hotel and then be invited to go to court where you will be fined. You will then check in again to the IDC Hotel where you relax until you have bought a ticket to your home country.

52 minutes ago, 6thST said:

Looking for more trouble?

3 hours ago, P4K said:

Same as what happens, when you use one credit card to pay the debt off another credit card.

6 hours ago, P4K said:

• The person is blacklisted/banned, not the passport.  
  • Passports can easily be linked on the immigration computer system by name and date of birth. Entering the country with any passport while blacklisted/banned means the person is in the country illegally.
  • Anyone caught in the country illegally can be fined up to 20,000 baht, imprisoned for up to 2 years, or both, and would be deported.
Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

What's the extra 15K for?

Presumably, pocket money while serving the jail sentence, but I would personally recommend at least 200 baht per day which means 140,000 baht or so would be more realistic if sentenced to 2 years. That is without taking into account the flight ticket for deportation when finally released from jail into the Immigration Detention Center.

16 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Cheap insurance for the Imm Officer so you don't go to jail

The OP seems to asking about surrendering at the airport in which case, as long as they paid the 20K fine, they wouldn't be detained or sent to jail.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2017 at 0:41 AM, BritTim said:

As I understand it, official blacklisting includes taking your fingerprints, photographing you, and registering you in an immigration blacklist database. This is in addition to the stamp in the passport. I think people are sometimes also given a separate letter that explains the reason for the blacklisting.

A dual national trying to return on another passport might get away with it, but the entry would certainly be illegal.

No, fingerprints are not taken when you leave via Suvarnabhumi, and get blacklisted for overstay there. You will get the stamp in your passport, nothing more. The photographing happens when you stand in front of them I guess (who knows), and you will enter a database. Everything done in less than 10 minutes.

And you will be blacklisted for 1-3 years or more.

They follow the new rules by the book, even if you beg for a shorter time, with what you think is a good reason. Wife and kids etc.

Funny thing, the immigration officer`s own solution to the problem was shocking. I doubt it works, but he actually discrete recommended to just come back with a new passport if you want to enter before the blacklisting is lifted.

I guess there are many cases of trying that, with no luck.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, khunerik said:

When people go to prison för not having the money to pay their 20k overstay fine. Iss it 200 a day in the prison that the amount go down with???

A credit of 200 baht a day is applied to the overstay fine fore each day in detention. Normally the fine is reduced by a judge to 3k to 5k baht.

• Like 1