Foodland supermarket coming to Royal Garden!

Jingthing

Very welcome news. There are a few items they have there that aren't easy to find elsewhere but for me the schlep to far out Klang is rarely worth it.

Also it will have their famous counter restaurant as well.

Whatever happened to the plans to build one in Jomtien?

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful! Thanks. Any word on the schedule, not that it's to be taken very seriously? And where in RG? Hope it's a full-sized Foodland, not some sort of Foodland Express.

Edited by JSixpack

Wonderful! Thanks. Any word on the schedule, not that it's to be taken very seriously? And where in RG? Hope it's a full-sized Foodland, not some sort of Foodland Express.

The sign says coming SOON.

Which as we all know doesn't tell us when it will open.

A grocery store will help draw more customers... better have easy access to the store if it is in the basement of the parking garage. They could use a general store inside selling everything but clothes. Even a "ma & Pa" hardware store would do inside that place. Not all of us living in Pattaya need the "mirrored image" of all the other shopping centers.

1 hour ago, toenail said:

A grocery store will help draw more customers... better have easy access to the store if it is in the basement of the parking garage. They could use a general store inside selling everything but clothes. Even a "ma & Pa" hardware store would do inside that place. Not all of us living in Pattaya need the "mirrored image" of all the other shopping centers.

No one will buy hardware at Royal Garden Plaza. LOL. One thing is for sure, no "ma & pa"'s could afford the rents anyway. Even the sports store on the 2nd floor has vacated and made way for a huge game center... something most of us definitely won't need and probably won't last long anyway.

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Very welcome news. There are a few items they have there that aren't easy to find elsewhere but for me the schlep to far out Klang is rarely worth it.

Also it will have their famous counter restaurant as well.

Whatever happened to the plans to build one in Jomtien?

Good news, welcome addition. Did you see a sign or a news report? Hope they will have free parking in the garage like Villa Market. 

7 minutes ago, balo said:

Just like Villa Market , they will be selling overpriced food . But I welcome their restaurant . 

LOL> which also sells overpriced food. I don't understand the hype of Took Lae Dee... It's good for a snack when you're out shopping and need to eat something, but who wants to sit at a counter rubbing elbows with strangers of all descriptions (drunk, smelly, sweaty, bad mannered, rude etc) when there are so many better alternatives. It'll be worse eating there when it's right in the tourist belt.

21 minutes ago, balo said:

Just like Villa Market , they will be selling overpriced food . But I welcome their restaurant . 

Even when I schlepped out Klang I rarely ate at their restaurant. Because it's far for me I would go someplace more interesting while in the area. But now that they'll be at Royal, I think I might eat there occasionally.  So I'm happy about the restaurant too. 

I think their grocery prices are pretty good. I would think overall less than Villa or Central Food Hall. 

Edited by Jingthing

9 hours ago, balo said:

Foodland is considerably less expensive than Villa and they have specials on the ends of the aisles so for me it is cheaper than Big C/Tesco. 

Like others, sitting at a counter smelling tourists armpits can be avoided, eat at a food hall if you want a cheap meal. 

20 minutes ago, ThaiBob said:

Foodland is considerably less expensive than Villa and they have specials on the ends of the aisles so for me it is cheaper than Big C/Tesco. 

Like others, sitting at a counter smelling tourists armpits can be avoided, eat at a food hall if you want a cheap meal. 

That's strange. I shop at both Foodland and Villa in Bangkok. Usually about the same price if comparing like for like.

I prefer Villa though because they tend to have British and American products actually imported from Britain and America. Foodland seems to have a lot of stuff from Malaysia masquerading as British and American food.

6 minutes ago, rixalex said:

That's strange. I shop at both Foodland and Villa in Bangkok. Usually about the same price if comparing like for like.

I prefer Villa though because they tend to have British and American products actually imported from Britain and America. Foodland seems to have a lot of stuff from Malaysia masquerading as British and American food.

I shop at Villa for only the items I can't get at Foodland or other places.  For the basics and staples, as has been discussed on other threads, Villa and Foodmart (Jomtien) are the most places in town.  

19 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Royal Garden Plaza, on 2nd Road coming from Pattaya Thai Rd. on the left.

What happen to Tops in (bottom of Klang) --guys, haven't been back that way for a while----did it close ? did the whole centre close ? Bowling ally etc...?? I lived there when it opened--the food wasn't to bad to start with.

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

You want to eat in a restaurant (or shop) that is in an underground car park ?

I remember when they put shops in the basement of Mike Shopping Mall, and it failed due to exhaust fumes.

There's loads of new, separate air-conditioning duct work for the basement running across the ceiling at the front end of the current RGP car park. I don't think they are going cheap like Mike did.

2 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

"Foodland is considerably less expensive than Villa".

How very true, Villa is a disgrace with some of their prices.

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Huge sign in the window at the mall. That's it. 

I was there yesterday but didn't see any sign???

Did it indicate exactly where in RGP the store will be located?

I think it will be successful.

Good news. Waiting for the songtauw at Klang & 2nd to fill was a pain so I usually just walked to FoodLand. I found their meat (ribs) &  deli (smokies)  departments are as good or better than the other stores.

The Bangkok owners of FoodLand said in a newspaper interview a couple years ago that the Jomtien store timing would be  built  depending on the local economy.