Foodland supermarket coming to Royal Garden!

Jingthing

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, kiniyow said:

Parking is Restricted big time so I will never go...If they had a store on Trepassit where most of the Condos are located this would make more sense

You mean where the (mostly) empty condos are?

2 hours ago, alocacoc said:

Just went there. But don't like it. Imo too dark and limited assortment.

I like it. Not too dark and the assortment hits most the bases. I find in PTY it's necessary to go to at least two stores weekly anyway to get it all.

Didn't like the slick paint & coating in the parking lot. Gotta be extra careful on the bike. BTW, that lot was pretty full considering that Pattaya is DEAD & all.

Now that is a Super Took Lae Dee. I assume they've got all our old faves. You know, the ABF, the mackerel steak, etc. Gon' have to eat there soon. This would have been perfect back in the heyday of the Golden Egg Layers, before they all left for the paradise of Cambodia or Blighty where they're wanted. However, I see Chinese & Russians eating in the Klang branch.

So had a few brews w/ views then got the shopping done. Nice addition to our beloved cesspool.

Edited by JSixpack

21 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

I find in PTY it's necessary to go to at least two stores weekly anyway to get it all.

Me too. Bread from Big C Extra (I love their French traditional Baguettes), and Foodland Klang for the rest.

3 hours ago, kiniyow said:

Parking is Restricted big time so I will never go...If they had a store on Trepassit where most of the Condos are located this would make more sense

Why not park on 2nd road and walk across, or is that too much exercise?

Just went to the RG Foodland. I'd say it's about 60% of the size of the one on Klang. Has all my staples though so I'm happy. They added a bunch of small items for free to my bag, and all I bought were oats on special offer (buy 1 get 1 free). I guess they have overstock issues at the moment.

On 5/14/2017 at 11:02 PM, tropo said:

It's a 24 hour supermarket which makes it the only one in Central Pattaya. It's a fantastic convenient option for night owls.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

24 hours I agree is a nice feature.  Wasn't the old TOPs open 24 hours years ago over on Pattaya Klang and 2nd road?  I certainly remember it being open very late.

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

24 hours I agree is a nice feature.  Wasn't the old TOPs open 24 hours years ago over on Pattaya Klang and 2nd road?  I certainly remember it being open very late.

I'm not sure about the old Tops supermarket. Right before this new Foodland opened this week we only had 2 other 24 hour options: Foodmart and Foodland Klang. Maxvalu was open 24 hours for a short while last year and Villa used to be open 24 hours years ago.

I think it's going to do very well. I'll be contributing to its success.:smile:

7 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Just went to the RG Foodland. I'd say it's about 60% of the size of the one on Klang. Has all my staples though so I'm happy. They added a bunch of small items for free to my bag, and all I bought were oats on special offer (buy 1 get 1 free). I guess they have overstock issues at the moment.

Staff are exceptionally nice there--so far. Got some nice smiles. Must come from outside Pattaya, not yet accustomed to dealing w/ the idiot farangs.

Would be nice to build a big salad in the salad bar then go eat it over at a table at the new Took Lae Dee. Guess that's understandably not permitted. :wink:

5 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Staff are exceptionally nice there--so far. Got some nice smiles. Must come from outside Pattaya, not yet accustomed to dealing w/ the idiot farangs.

Would be nice to build a big salad in the salad bar then go eat it over at a table at the new Took Lae Dee. Guess that's understandably not permitted. :wink:

FYI, you can do that at Big C Extra on Pattaya Klang. Used to even have free water but suggest simply buy a bottle of same upstairs with your salad or at the food court itself. Silverware provided, just borrow a plate/bowl from one of the vendors(don't ask, just take it). Cheers and God Bless You. OO.

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Parking on Second Road? Opposite the back end of RGP?... LOL.

The parking issue will cause the venue to be short lived. It will close by the end of 2018 if not before. You can't compete with 7/11 and Family Mart in that location. Nice try of course, it's only money.  God Bless You and OO. 

36 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

" dealing w/ the idiot farangs."

are you included in that description and if not why not?:unsure:

20 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

" dealing w/ the idiot farangs."

are you included in that description and if not why not?:unsure:

When dealing w/ Thai staff, if you first offer a smile and a polite greeting in Thai and observe polite Thai manners at all times, even if you aren't getting exactly what you want, then you will almost always qualify in their minds as not one of the idiots. And that means a much pleasanter transaction so that's what I do.

Edited by JSixpack

13 hours ago, kiniyow said:

Park a Motorbike No problem but a Toyota Truck?

Where exactly on 2nd road do you park a Truck to do the shopping?

IMHO, if you need a car to go to this Foodland, you are just not part of customers they target.

This will be a perfect place for thousands of people living in the tens of condos along Second Road, Beach Road or even Soi 15.

They don't need a car: they just have to take a bahtbus at the door of this new Foodland :smile:

2 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

The parking issue will cause the venue to be short lived. It will close by the end of 2018 if not before. You can't compete with 7/11 and Family Mart in that location. Nice try of course, it's only money.  God Bless You and OO. 

Like Central Festival, Harbor Mall, etc., etc.

2 hours ago, JSixpack said:

That's permitted. I do that every time I eat at Took Lae Dee. They'll even give you a bowl to put the salad in if you ask. You can eat or drink anything you purchase in the supermarket in the restaurant. You can even buy meat/chicken/fish in the supermarket and have it cooked for you. I think they charge about 50 baht - I used to do this often.

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

IMHO, if you need a car to go to this Foodland, you are just not part of customers they target.

This will be a perfect place for thousands of people living in the tens of condos along Second Road, Beach Road or even Soi 15.

They don't need a car: they just have to take a bahtbus at the door of this new Foodland :smile:

I make this easy trip from Jomtien by baht bus pretty much ever day as do many others. 

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

That's permitted. I do that every time I eat at Took Lae Dee. They'll even give you a bowl to put the salad in if you ask. You can eat or drink anything you purchase in the supermarket in the restaurant. You can even buy meat/chicken/fish in the supermarket and have it cooked for you. I think they charge about 50 baht - I used to do this often.

Great tip.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Ha! Thank you!:thumbsup:

I noticed the friendly staff thing too. They won't stay that way though if the others stores are any indication. I actually thought they were told to be extra nice by management to get the store off to a good start with regular customers.

The supermarket staff seems on par with Klan branch in niceness, 

Took Lae Dee restaurant in the new branch is nowhere near as packed as their capacity unlike Klang branch that's sardines at busy hours, maybe that's why they're still nice to customers, let's see how they are when the new restaurant is full

10 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Total nonsense...lots of people on motorbike who don't need valet parking....location, location, location.....