Power Cuts

Old Croc

They've announced our power will be cut off for the day, again. The third time in recent months!

They've erected this monstrosity in the middle of our skyscape and only about 12 metres from where I lay my head. I'm hoping the high tension power contained within isn't/wont cook what's left of my grey matter while I sleep.

Does anyone know what the plan is for all this? Will it eventually replace the existing poles and wires, will it give better, more consistent services, or will it just form part of the hodgepodge system we have now?

I hope I can finish this post before

IMG_0192.JPG

Higher voltage reduces transmission loss.  The very large towers you see here and there are 100+ kV.  Somewhere within a few miles from you will be a substation that will step down the voltage to perhaps 10 kV.  That's what these cables are.  Then very near will be the distribution transformer transformer that reduces it to 230 volts.

Small wires will stay.

OK, my power came back on a short time ago, so, while my brain soup is not completely addled, I can report a little more.  

Some guy spent most of the day clinging to the post pictured, singing, and shouting at other guys similarly ensconced up neighboring poles. In between times they cut some wires off, replaced them with new and transferred all wires from the old post to the new.

All seemingly went well, up until the point there was a loud bang, lots of urgent shouting and the sudden falling to the ground of the mishmash of cables from the various social media companies. It appears the old post down the hill chose this time to fall over. Another half hour and it's job would have been completed anyway. 

My man, who by now was on the top of my old post, found himself in a precarious position when the crash caused it to become loose in it's hole, and it started swaying backwards and forwards. Once he decided he wasn't going to fall, and, in the safety traditions of Thai workers everywhere, he found it entertaining to keep the sway going for some minutes.

They did eventually remove all the old poles, and at our request, bundled up the myriad of other cables into one big ugly roll, which helped restore our view of the mountain