Rental contract needed to get "retirement visa"?

I've taken the good advice here and done everything to apply for a so-called "retirement visa" in 2 month, including the 800K in a Thai bank.

---> Will I need a rental contract to show as well? And if so, will I have had to stay there longer than a month? (I travel around a lot)

It might depend on which Immigration office you are using. I think it doesn't matter if you have only been in your current accommodation  for a short time, as long as you have a signed rental contract, and/or the correct form completed by your landlord. I think it is the TM 30; there is a list of forms somewhere in the"pinned" part of this sub-forum. 

• Like 1

i recently converted a visa exempt entry into a non imm O visa at chaeng wattana (CW) in bangkok.  the requirements for that are the same as those for an extension of stay for purposes of retirement.  rental contract was not a requirement.  i thought it was but ubonjoe pointed out that it was not required and i didn't bring one.  i think this can vary by office.

you do have to list your address on the immigration form.  they may ask you a question about it if you list a hotel, i'm not sure.  the only question they asked me was 'do you speak thai' ? 

• Like 1

My advice, and what I always do is, bring any documents you have got that support your application, including a rental contract, but do not show them or mention them unless asked.

This is not hard to do and on the off chance that something unexpected is requested can save you, at very least, a wasted trip, and a return journey. I have taken my lease and a utility bill as proof of address for each of my six extension applications at Chaengwattana (BKK) , even though I have never been asked for them once.

Edited by partington
  • Like 1

That's always good advice; have the mandatory documents in one folder. Have other ones in a second folder, and provide them one at a time, only if requested. Do have photocopies of everything ready if you don't want to part with the original. Laying everything on the desk initially might just make it more difficult for the next guy.

2 hours ago, allane said:

Laying everything on the desk initially might just make it more difficult for the next guy.

As well as possibly prolonging the process unnecessarily both for you and for him.

A rental contract per se is not required but many (though not all) IOs will want proof of address. Which for a renter, would be a lease. How long you have been there will not matter, they just want proof that you live within their jurisdiction,