Midweek rant: In Defense of Thai Men

webfact

I just wonder how many of the posters actually work in Thailand and have day to day contact with Thai colleagues. Those in the office where I work seem to be hard working enough and I have not heard of any violent incidents. The only thing I could say is that a fair few of them like chasing skirt - but that would be fair to say anywhere - a one-of-the-boys type attitude.  

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Petchou said:

I think you didnt get it.

Just stating the facts, because for many farangs,  it happens only here and they are all great and civilised.   Which is far from reality.

I think you are the one who "didnt get it" .........its a Thai forum

You said it - "In short, Thai men are beer swilling, Ya Ba taking, wife beating misogynist layabouts who beat their own children then abandon them at the drop of a hat to go off with the mia noi.

They gamble and cheat and live off the earnings of Thai women, without whom, the whole country would fall apart. They enjoy a superior position in society which is not merited, we are constantly reminded.

When one of their own attacks a woman in the street they turn the other way ignoring her plight. They only spring into action, the detractors continue, when the odds are about ten to one in their favor attacking with fists flailing and boots connecting with heads as their defenseless victims writhe on the floor pleading for mercy."

Brilliant summary, eloquently put.  Couldn't agree more

On 3/22/2017 at 5:33 PM, Shaunduhpostman said:

Aside from the topic of the article being way to general and unspecific to ever be able to make a good or interesting point within the scope of a short opinion peice, the OP's point that all of these farang need to go make some friends with Thai men, is a rather thoughtless and naive dismisal of a whole social phenomena, that would make a more interesting piece. Sorry that the writer is too blinkered by his annoyance with fat wife beater wearing half-drunk racist slobs or whoever it is he imagines to be behind these keyboards blasting the world with drivel to have seen the opportunity there.

You could interview people, both Thai and farang, as to why they don't have any  friends in their respective groups  and perhaps come to some interesting provisional conclusions or at least notions. Its better than just making unqualified declarations about how prejudiced and racist all the western expats are that they see Thai men negatively. It may be as much that Thai men don't want any farang friends that we never get to see how wonderful they are, it is not fair or logical to blame crappy western expats without any specifics to go on. You almost never see Thai and western men hanging out together aside from company functions or family events. Why not? It ain't just me because I am some kind of racist that I don't have male Thai friends and don't hang out with Thai men. 

we must live in completely different worlds. My expat friends and I have  many wonderful Thai friends  and nothing like what you describe. They are loyal and very helpful. We don't have problems because they are always Here to help us just like it would be back in your home country. I feel sorry for you. Quite frankly, I can't understand how you can live here and have no Thai friends, because the most wonderful thing about Thailand is the Thai people. You probably just haven't met the right ones, Or live somewhere likePattaya

• 6 months later...

I am good friends with a Thai man.  I have met his family and his sibling(s).  I correspond with him often.  I find him to be among the most honest, decent, hard-working, trust-worthy men I have met in my life.  Whatever shortcomings he may have they are overshadowed by his good character.  I believe his mother raised him right.  And no, he is not rich.  That is just my experience, my two cents.

Good and bad in any society, but here nobody gives a toss about anything cos they can buy themselves out of hassle instead of being dealt with. Those in positions of trust and caught being naughty are rarely dealt with.

The country is awash with birds lumbered with kids cos hubby is fooling around elsewhere and doesn't feed his kids, that's where the farang comes in as the law does nothing for them..

But yes I have a few nice guy Thai friends, and yes have met a few farang ass____les in LOS..

31 minutes ago, transam said:

Good and bad in any society, but here nobody gives a toss about anything cos they can buy themselves out of hassle instead of being dealt with. Those in positions of trust and caught being naughty are rarely dealt with.

The country is awash with birds lumbered with kids cos hubby is fooling around elsewhere and doesn't feed his kids, that's where the farang comes in as the law does nothing for them..

But yes I have a few nice guy Thai friends, and yes have met a few farang ass____les in LOS..

yeah, it is in the numbers; the old some-but-not-all logic; the proportion of useless thai males here is high; high enough that it invites the broad-brush of all of them;

when i encounter a thai man, i assume he is an everyman thai man; prone to all the negatives mentioned in the main article

On 22/03/2017 at 5:25 AM, Get Real said:

Not totally untrue, but after soon 17 years in Thailand not even this article is going to change my opinion of the thai man.

There are of course men that are ok, and I have many thai friends too.

What is the problem is that too many people are scared of a discussion when you must solve a dispute with words. Istead they resport to violence as a quicker and more easy way to get rid of the problem at the moment.

Of course it depends on what you compare with. If that i Monaco, then it´s a catastrophy. If you compare to Libya it´s like heaven on earth.

Having lived height year on my boat in Antibes 25 miles from Monaco, I know Monaco very very well, and  I prefer 20 times to live here in Thailand, so not sure you gave a good example:smile:

(No offence:cool: )

On 2017-03-21 at 11:59 PM, jonclark said:

Fake news aka alternative facta is i think the current buzz word for rambling opinion articles.

Yep! It´s called a forum. It´s a place where people open up their opinions, you know!

On 22/03/2017 at 8:46 AM, PremiumLane said:

Writing that article on TVF, is a bit like going to a KKK rally and loudly saying that some blacks are OK

Or a black Panthers rally and loudly saying that some white guys are OK :tongue:

9 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Having lived height year on my boat in Antibes 25 miles from Monaco, I know Monaco very very well, and  I prefer 20 times to live here in Thailand, so not sure you gave a good example:smile:

Really don´t know exactly too. I just grabbed it out of the air. You know, for most people Monaco is considered heaven, and Libya hell.
Really just an expression to make it look in a certian way for most people. :smile:

No offense taken. :laugh:

12 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Blimey, that's a long time in the crows nest.....ashamed-smiley-emoticon.png.b5b1459eb9d6e3d634e5bbf0a17b76a0.png

1 hour ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

Poor ones are dumb as rocks 

rich ones are spoiled brat lazy murders. 

Thai women are hard working and lovely. 

Did I miss anything?

Did I miss anything?

Maybe you miss everything :ermm:

of those who criticise thai men i would ask how many thai men do you actually know? how man thai male friends do you have? or are you getting your information from the stories that hit the news and/or your (probably low class/low educated/keen to boost your ego by telling you how great you are compared to thai men) thai female partner?

i have many male thai friends through work and social life, they are in the majority well educated, professional, generous, friendly and in the main happily married some with some without children.

there are of course bad people in every country, the generalisations made on this forum about thai men are completely inaccurate. take the time to get to know some of the local guys before you pass comment.

3 minutes ago, samsensam said:

of those who criticise thai men i would ask how many thai men do you actually know? how man thai male friends do you have? or are you getting your information from the stories that hit the news and/or your (probably low class/low educated/keen to boost your ego by telling you how great you are compared to thai men) thai female partner?

i have many male thai friends through work and social life, they are in the majority well educated, professional, generous, friendly and in the main happily married some with some without children.

there are of course bad people in every country, the generalisations made on this forum about thai men are completely inaccurate. take the time to get to know some of the local guys before you pass comment.

Are you the OP? 

2 minutes ago, samsensam said:

But those are the circles you mix in....There is another side out there...

Generally Thai men are selfish, arrogant and irresponsible. Don't believe me?  look at the babies abandoned, the girls left holding the said baby and all the words Thai men have for their 'women'  (mia noi, fan, gik). The educated are much better, of course, but as we know they are a rare breed.