Netiwit and Siriwith seek exclusion following Army call-up

webfact

Netiwit and Siriwith seek exclusion following Army call-up
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Anti-junta activists Netiwit Chotipatpaisal and Siriwith Serithiwat, who have been called up to serve in the Army this year, are both seeking to be excluded from military training.

In the list of celebrity registrants, Netiwit, a first-year political science student at Chulalongkorn University, was described in the accompanying remarks as “a leader in the movement that called for the abolition of military conscription”.

Siriwith, aka ‘Ja New’, was described as “a leader of student political activists”.

Netiwit said on Tuesday that he had submitted documents to delay his registration and had been told by the university that he was already on the list of those being granted permission to be excluded from military training this year.

On April 4, he said he would submit the documents to the military to complete the process.

Netiwit also said that if he were to be conscripted, he was certain he would be discriminated against and assaulted.

The young activist added that he would also seek to postpone his conscription next year.

“I am never going to join the Army. Like I’ve said, I disagree with those serving in the Army. I disagree with violence,” he said. “We are not at war. Conscription is another thing that supports the dictatorial regime. It is part of the reason why the military can still stage a coup. I disagree with it.”

Siriwith, meanwhile, posted on Facebook that he would follow the process of postponing his military service, but expressed concern that the military might not treat him fairly.

He threatened to rebuke all those concerned if he were to be mistreated during the crucial stage of the process, set to take place early April.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30309859

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-22

Fail to see the purpose of conscription, unless there is a war. Conscript armies are more poorly equiped, have worse training and lack thw motivation and skills to fight when compared to professional armies.

It can only serve the purpose of indoctrination to support traditionalists and the entrenched establishment. To mainatin the status que. 

Thailand has a standing  army of about 350'000 (mainly poorly trained) men. For what purpose. Thailand isnt at war with anyone. 

No need for conscription

15 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Fail to see the purpose of conscription, unless there is a war. Conscript armies are more poorly equiped, have worse training and lack thw motivation and skills to fight when compared to professional armies.

It can only serve the purpose of indoctrination to support traditionalists and the entrenched establishment. To mainatin the status que. 

Thailand has a standing  army of about 350'000 (mainly poorly trained) men. For what purpose. Thailand isnt at war with anyone. 

No need for conscription

I would like you to quote that in front of conscript from australia that served in vietnam .AND I AM ONE .MR Jonclark

2 hours ago, jonclark said:

No need for conscription

who is going to wash my car when i go to the car wash, if no conscripts

2 hours ago, ba ba said:

I would like you to quote that in front of conscript from australia that served in vietnam .AND I AM ONE .MR Jonclark

Why would you like him to do that?  Eyesight poor?

Australia was fighting a war in Vietnam and needed troops to do so, so it had conscription. Thailand is not fighting a war, nor is there any imminent threat that requires a large standing army. That army is largely untrained, immobile and not deployable. It is equipped with a bewildering variety of equipment, purchased in small quantities from a wide variety of suppliers, which equipment seems to have little to do with any possible actual requirements, and much of which is broken anyway. There is little effort made to repair or maintain it. There is virtually no meaningful collective training. The large number of idle conscripts are there to justify and serve a ludicrously bloated officer corps, whose interests and activities have little to do with defending the state.

Jonclark is right.

2 hours ago, halloween said:

5555555. Love it. The poor little fella with the attitude problem doesn't want to be conscripted. Perhaps he should buy a dress.

No surprises with a comment like that.

I see no "attitude problem"  but I do see young men standing up to the military for what they believe in. 

So it seems you a foreigner support a military coup, forced military abductions ( invitations) for re-education (attitude adjustment)

Military courts for civilians,  Gaoling of protesters of the coup/military, denial of freedom of speech,  Human rights abuses, 

Junta nepotism (brother/son/nephew/wife can do as they please at the cost to the nation with out independent investigation, etc.

These people are conscientious objectors knowing full well the treatment they will get if conscripted.  eg; Desmond Doss.

Yet you the foreigner  do not have to face this treatment and ridicule those that do face it, I know what that is called in another country...!

Thailand is not at war.

BTW your derogatory comment "Perhaps he should buy a dress."   Reckon there are a hell of a lot of acting and ex military out there that just happen to wear a dress.   You familiar with the term misogynous?    

Class act.

3 hours ago, jonclark said:

No need for conscription

I see your point and agree it also interferers with their Uni education, however this goes way back 100 of years , U see they are proud to serve the king and that's pretty much what its all about.

3 hours ago, halloween said:

5555555. Love it. The poor little fella with the attitude problem doesn't want to be conscripted. Perhaps he should buy a dress.

So he doesn't want to serve time in the private army of the elite, the same army that has persecuted him and is continuously overthrowing governments?? What a shocker!!!

BTW, having served in my country's armed forces I have had the pleasure of serving together with plenty of people who wore skirts (they're called women) and I did so proudly and gladly. What about you?

As aussieinthailand said; you're a real class act.

BTW, how many sons of the elite you support do you think have to do military service?

Edited by Becker

I would have thought both boys would've jumped at the chance to recruit from inside out, palm a few Subs , tanks, one or two m60 out the back door, seems to be easy enough to do and besides most of the Conscripts don't want to be there so they'll be enthusiastic and most of the commanders don't want them anyway so they'll turn a blind eye, when opportunity knocks boys take it.....................................:coffee1:  

4 minutes ago, Becker said:

So he doesn't want to serve time in the private army of the elite, the same army that has persecuted him and is continuously overthrowing governments?? What a shocker!!!

BTW, having served in my country's armed forces I have had the pleasure of serving together with plenty of people who wore skirts (they're called women) and I did so proudly and gladly. What about you?

BTW, how many sons of the elite you support do you think have to do military service?

Not many I can tell U

3 hours ago, halloween said:

With that comment perhaps you'd like to read up about this brave young soldier who wears a dress when she can.   Kylie Watson.!! Military Cross no less ! 

IMG_1350.JPG

34 minutes ago, aussieinthailand said:

No surprises with a comment like that.

I see no "attitude problem"  but I do see young men standing up to the military for what they believe in. 

So it seems you a foreigner support a military coup, forced military abductions ( invitations) for re-education (attitude adjustment)

Military courts for civilians,  Gaoling of protesters of the coup/military, denial of freedom of speech,  Human rights abuses, 

Junta nepotism (brother/son/nephew/wife can do as they please at the cost to the nation with out independent investigation, etc.

These people are conscientious objectors knowing full well the treatment they will get if conscripted.  eg; Desmond Doss.

Yet you the foreigner  do not have to face this treatment and ridicule those that do face it, I know what that is called in another country...!

Thailand is not at war.

BTW your derogatory comment "Perhaps he should buy a dress."   Reckon there are a hell of a lot of acting and ex military out there that just happen to wear a dress.   You familiar with the term misogynous?    

Class act.

"You familiar with the term misogynous?    "

He wouldn't recognize Miss Ogynous if she bumped into him  in the street.

39 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

"You familiar with the term misogynous?    "

He wouldn't recognize Miss Ogynous if she bumped into him  in the street.

Certainly not if she was wearing a trouser suit! But then he would probably just assume she was a lesbian!

Edited by BigBadGeordie
Typo

3 hours ago, chainarong said:

I would have thought both boys would've jumped at the chance to recruit from inside out, palm a few Subs , tanks, one or two m60 out the back door, seems to be easy enough to do and besides most of the Conscripts don't want to be there so they'll be enthusiastic and most of the commanders don't want them anyway so they'll turn a blind eye, when opportunity knocks boys take it.....................................:coffee1:  

I doubt that they will survive the year to be frank.

Accidents happen in training from time to time...

4 hours ago, JAG said:

Australia was fighting a war in Vietnam and needed troops to do so, so it had conscription. Thailand is not fighting a war, nor is there any imminent threat that requires a large standing army. That army is largely untrained, immobile and not deployable. It is equipped with a bewildering variety of equipment, purchased in small quantities from a wide variety of suppliers, which equipment seems to have little to do with any possible actual requirements, and much of which is broken anyway. There is little effort made to repair or maintain it. There is virtually no meaningful collective training. The large number of idle conscripts are there to justify and serve a ludicrously bloated officer corps, whose interests and activities have little to do with defending the state.

Jonclark is right.

And what about Switzerland, Denmark, Finland and Greece ?

These countries are not in war, but all male citizens of these countries must serve in military service.....

Sweden reintroduce military service next year after  8 years of suspensions....

I believe in conscription but not in countries whose forces are used to repress their own citizens. I can't fault these two lads one bit. Btw, I did 12 years military service and apart from the WRAC, not one soldier who I knew wore a dress.

8 hours ago, Becker said:

FYI I served my 2 years in the Australian Army, and there was very little pleasure involved. As far as I know, RTA conscripts swear allegiance to King and country, rather than some "elite". OTOH the only 'private army" I know of swear allegiance to a wealthy criminal, and his money.

If you are not aware, katoeys are exempted from military conscription - the comment had nothing to do with women.

BTW I know of some "sons of the elite" who were conscripted, Chalerm's murderous sprogs, who somehow were appointed as officers.

9 hours ago, JAG said:

Jonclark is right.

I have always been against conscription and i guess you sum the Thai army up quite well. I think most purchases are done with other things in mind as usefulness. 

10 hours ago, chainarong said:

I see your point and agree it also interferers with their Uni education, however this goes way back 100 of years , U see they are proud to serve the king and that's pretty much what its all about.

Then they will have no difficulties recruiting volunteers. No need for conscription. 

2 hours ago, halloween said:

FYI I served my 2 years in the Australian Army, and there was very little pleasure involved. As far as I know, RTA conscripts swear allegiance to King and country, rather than some "elite". OTOH the only 'private army" I know of swear allegiance to a wealthy criminal, and his money.

If you are not aware, katoeys are exempted from military conscription - the comment had nothing to do with women.

BTW I know of some "sons of the elite" who were conscripted, Chalerm's murderous sprogs, who somehow were appointed as officers.

Whoever they swear allegiance to doesn't matter. The fact is that the RTA is used as a force to support the old elite - or do you disagree despite all the evidence to the contrary???

N  also said that if he were to be conscripted, he was certain he would be discriminated against and assaulted

He got that a bit wrong, should have been They will kill him! as per

Conscription is the only way to get 300.000 to keep the 60 million in check, aint used for anything else

Suspect RTA have enough headaches chasing their conscripted force around the block as it is.  This guy would be a real pain in the a**. 

The Junta wants to make an example out of him.  Because they can.  It's a power/domination thing.  Going too public might make him their extra special, pet project.  Turn up the anxiety until he wai's and snivels in submission in a very public way.  Then let him off the hook, "just kidding".

Edited by 55Jay

13 hours ago, Becker said:

In my experience most of the people wearing frocks and high heels were Royal Marine's, nothing quite as striking as a 6 foot bootneck in his best run ashore rig....

Remember back in 2003 a very large contingent of Bravo Company 40 cdo where in the classroom when somebody called naked bar, seem to remember a member of the BiB popping his head through the door then quickly thinking better off it and buggering off back out, probably a wise move....

In my experience most of the people wearing frocks and high heels were Royal Marine's, nothing quite as striking as a 6 foot bootneck in his best run ashore rig....

Remember back in 2003 a very large contingent of Bravo Company 40 cdo where in the classroom when somebody called naked bar, seem to remember a member of the BiB popping his head through the door then quickly thinking better off it and buggering off back out, probably a wise move....

No comment
[emoji3][emoji16][emoji23]

14 hours ago, halloween said:

So in your own words you served 2 years in army and "there was very little pleasure in it"  So then how if you were to be honest do you think these guy's will be treated in a military that they have a history with and have been victims of  violence in the past while they were privet citizens?  Again I give you the name Desmond Doss...!  How was he treated? Yet he proved to be a hero of the highest order...

These two will be singled out for very special treatment at the whim of people in power with an axe to grind and power trip of domination with a dash of do you know who I am?

As far as your attempted explanation of your comment regarding wearing a dress and now oh I mean katoeys,   WEAK at best.

3 minutes ago, aussieinthailand said:

So in your own words you served 2 years in army and "there was very little pleasure in it"  So then how if you were to be honest do you think these guy's will be treated in a military that they have a history with and have been victims of  violence in the past while they were privet citizens?  Again I give you the name Desmond Doss...!  How was he treated? Yet he proved to be a hero of the highest order...

These two will be singled out for very special treatment at the whim of people in power with an axe to grind and power trip of domination with a dash of do you know who I am?

As far as your attempted explanation of your comment regarding wearing a dress and now oh I mean katoeys,   WEAK at best.

I saw is as a deflection, not an explanation. Still weak but a C+ for trying. Got to be hard trying to defend mocking someone who stand up to the armed forces of the established order. I mean, who would even do that?