Prayut vows to buy submarines, says he can get 3-for-2 deal

webfact

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The submarines will be 

1. 1. In training mode

2. 1. In maintainence/repair/salvage after colliding with ferries, jetskis and wharves

3.1. Clearing out the Songteaws from the new tunnel in Pattaya.

Looks like a soapy will cost b2000 next year then, Its a Thai thing Buy one Get one Free or in this case two, My other half loves these offers and the word bargain. I keep telling her its all this Chinese made crap being dumped on the market. Fake copy stuff, of late she is starting to agree with me.

The only thing they could do with a sub is people smuggling, these are old designs the US or UK could hear one start up from a thousand miles away, mind you he might be going to invade Laos. I hear its dammed hot out there right now so investing in water storage may be a better Idea or just go to Subway and buy one of those much cheaper.

9 hours ago, BuckBee said:

Oh my god, how stupid do they look pushing this silly sub purchase. Thai face means can never go back on it now :-O

Noting is for free so initial pricing was poorly negotiated if can add a free one.

Most important issue in Thailand is water management and corruption control plus sensible expenditure of countries money and these subs are hindering all of those issues. Buck banana is 63 and if you add 6 and 3 together you get an idea of his mental age :-/

..i bet the supplier will get the use of the 'free' one...sort of ties up both ends of the South China Sea.

I think the question needs to be asked - what country is likely to threaten Thailand that would necessitate the use of submarines - simple answer - none and if China was to pose a threat the US would rush to THailand's defence

Accountability or lack of

41 minutes ago, JGV said:

I think the question needs to be asked - what country is likely to threaten Thailand that would necessitate the use of submarines - simple answer - none and if China was to pose a threat the US would rush to THailand's defence

Accountability or lack of

Exactly , Toys for the boys and nothing less. But has disaster written all over this. 

Serious kit and big input to keep them operational. I'm sure Thai navy and technicians are not up to maintaining these Subs .

12 hours ago, Thechook said:

Yes but then the coup would have been a waste and the military wouldnt get their toys.  

It has nothing to do with the toys, and everything to do with the 30-40% commission that is earned on military procurement. This is the retirement package for the coup generals. The submarines are basically meaningless.

11 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Pray tell when did a politician ever get his priorities straight.??

When their priorities are filling their boots, which is close to 100% worldwide, I would say everytime.

11 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Remind me how many Subs Oz has and how many external threats?

Six.  And they were Australian-built.  'Last I heard, Australia was surrounded by water.  I think they can make a pretty fair case for their limited sub inventory.   Thailand, not so much.

41 minutes ago, Nigeone said:

Exactly , Toys for the boys and nothing less. But has disaster written all over this. 

Serious kit and big input to keep them operational. I'm sure Thai navy and technicians are not up to maintaining these Subs .

"Toys for the boys" sounds too innocent.  We all know what the real reason is they're dead set on these.

39 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Six.  And they were Australian-built.  'Last I heard, Australia was surrounded by water.  I think they can make a pretty fair case for their limited sub inventory.   Thailand, not so much.

and they're buying 12 off the French even though they cant get enough crew for the current subs.

Thailand still can’t make one on its own... I heard something different last weekend in Pattaya.

Went to a bar with an American retired Navy officer. He had some other retired Navy friends from Holland and Thailand there. After a few beers the Dutch started to tell how good  their submarines are. "They can last under water for a month", he said. The American and Thai laughing out loud. So my American friend told them: "The US submarines are nuclear powered and can stay under water up to 6 months!" Thai navy officer started laughing again, mumbling: "One month, six months..."!
"Thai submarines are world's best submarines.The submarine that we build in 2012 still hasn't come up!"

Edited by FredNL

13 hours ago, brucec64 said:

It has nothing to do with the toys, and everything to do with the 30-40% commission that is earned on military procurement. This is the retirement package for the coup generals. The submarines are basically meaningless.

Yes but couldn't they get these commissions building things that would actually help the country like roads, railroads, water management etc.?

4 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Yes but couldn't they get these commissions building things that would actually help the country like roads, railroads, water management etc.?

These type of items are not covered under the military budget. The backhanders are spread out a lot more on infrastructure projects.

On 3/22/2017 at 6:26 AM, colinneil said:

Buy 2 get 1 free    :cheesy:

This is a serious matter, spending billions on toys for the boys, not shopping in Tesco.

This is how the cost of "military" article work ,Lets say that the price of a submarine,military tank or aircraft is $100,000,000 US Dollars from the source,. The LOS government will allow an intermittent company to buy these units for said price.The intermittent company will have done the acceptance inspections on said units including inventory and component serial numbers checks,ect,ect.Then they will "SELL" the units to LOS for 400,000,000 US dollars or 14 billion baht EACH.The company is actually owned by the PM and his cronies . Having been involved in the acceptance inspections of some high dollar military units I can say that it takes a team of about 10 people a good week to do the different checkouts.So after paying the 10 people say about $1500 each another $ 25,000 for delivery total cost of $40,ooo US dollars or 1,500,000 baht the company has a profit of 12,6 billion baht per unit.Thaksin bought 5 C130s this way from the US .

Just now, sanukjim said:

This is how the cost of "military" article work ,Lets say that the price of a submarine,military tank or aircraft is $100,000,000 US Dollars from the source,. The LOS government will allow an intermittent company to buy these units for said price.The intermittent company will have done the acceptance inspections on said units including inventory and component serial numbers checks,ect,ect.Then they will "SELL" the units to LOS for 400,000,000 US dollars or 14 billion baht EACH.The company is actually owned by the PM and his cronies . Having been involved in the acceptance inspections of some high dollar military units I can say that it takes a team of about 10 people a good week to do the different checkouts.So after paying the 10 people say about $1500 each another $ 25,000 for delivery total cost of $40,ooo US dollars or 1,500,000 baht the company has a profit of 12,6 billion baht per unit.Thaksin bought 5 C130s this way from the US .

So no matter what "kind of deal" he makes the boys will be buying their maids and gardeners a new Benz.

Which of course explains the bewildering selection of differing equipments (all bought in small batches) in the Thai armed forces.

Lots of "procurement activities" to be shared out...

and they're buying 12 off the French even though they cant get enough crew for the current subs.

That's what sub-pay's for. Crank it up a bit and problem solved. OTOH, Thailand couldn't enlist enough qualified crew to man & maintain 3 subs if they offered admirals' salaries, and would have to hire Disney to gin up halfway worthwhile tasking scenarios.

Comparing Thailand's and Australia's naval requirements is ludicrous.

Who bought the xray machines? for the airport. The only subs that will spend most of the time on top of the water as the gulf is not really that deep. Maybe Mercury can help out with 3 300's on the back. If it was up to me I would take the backhander instead, remember they can't be prosecuted for any decision they make.