Uber runs into roadblock in bid to legalise drivers’ work in Thailand

snoop1130

Uber runs into roadblock in bid to legalise drivers’ work in Thailand

By THE NATION

65473291aa51acf38aff4a50491d4d2e.jpeg

UBER and Thai authorities are at loggerheads over moves to |legalise the ride-sharing service in Thailand.

Uber has rejected a demand that it suspend its operations in Thailand until a study into legalising its operations is completed. The study could take up to 12 months.

Authorities have threatened to take legal action against drivers working for Uber if they continue operating without waiting for the results of the study.

Department of Land Transport director-general Sanit Promwong said on Tuesday that if there are any complaints against Uber drivers, the committee tasked with keeping order in the public transport sector, comprising military officers, police and DLT officials, will arrest and fine drivers who operate without a public transport licence.

He said the crackdown on Uber is one of the policies of the National Council for Peace and Order, in an attempt to keep order in the public transport sector.

The warning came after a meeting between the Ministry of Transport, the DLT and representatives of Uber on Monday agreed to look at the possibility of legalising Uber through the study. The study is expected to take between six and 12 months.

During the meeting, the authorities requested that Uber suspend its service nationwide until the results of the study are known but the California-based company rejected the request. 

Transport deputy permanent secretary Somsak Hommoung said if Uber refused to suspend its service while the study was being conducted it would make further talks, set for the next one or two months, more complicated. 

Meanwhile, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has said he will not use Article 44 against Uber drivers.

“The [Uber] ride-sharing service is a good alternative for public transportation but an applicable law is needed to be issued in order to avoid creating a new problem,” he said after the Cabinet meeting on Tuesday. 

He said while there are no directly applicable laws to regulate Uber, the country’s taxi drivers must be protected and public services must be regulated through the issuance of licences. 

He said any violation of the law concerning the matter must be resolved with using existing laws and regulations. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30309965

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-3-22

I would expect most taxi drivers, except in mafia-controlled areas, to be as happy and make as much money working for Uber as they do at the moment. Why not just issue licences to Uber drivers, after appropriate checks? Having compared photos on the licences with many Bangkok taxi drivers, I suspect many are unlicensed anyway, so the situation won't be any worse. Uber appear to be winning in safety and service so difficult to see people stopping using them.

"During the meeting, the authorities requested that Uber suspend its service nationwide until the results of the study are known but the California-based company rejected the request. 

Transport deputy permanent secretary Somsak Hommoung said if Uber refused to suspend its service while the study was being conducted it would make further talks, set for the next one or two months, more complicated" 

in a nut shell what is wrong with this country. no teeth

Edited by GeorgeCross

1 hour ago, malcoml said:

I thought the whole idea of Uber was to save money by not using taxis that charge a lot.

One of the few cheap things left in Thailand is taxis. I dont see the point of Ubet.

Taxis in Bangkok are cheap - I think probably too cheap, but in ChiangMai they charge like wounded elephants. And tuk-tuk prices are outrageous, a minimum of 100 Baht to go even a short distance, whereas Uber is very reasonable in price, convenient, comfortable, and (would be) reliable if they didn't have to be constantly on their guard against the taxi mafia. For two people travelling from the Old Town to Nimmenhaemin the cost is less than by songtheow.

15 hours ago, Saladin said:

Taxis in Bangkok are cheap - I think probably too cheap, but in ChiangMai they charge like wounded elephants. And tuk-tuk prices are outrageous, a minimum of 100 Baht to go even a short distance, whereas Uber is very reasonable in price, convenient, comfortable, and (would be) reliable if they didn't have to be constantly on their guard against the taxi mafia. For two people travelling from the Old Town to Nimmenhaemin the cost is less than by songtheow.

Same in Pattaya, Puket, etc.  The 'taxis' are mafia run and NEVER use the meter.   Songtaus are just as bad.

3 hours ago, malcoml said:

I thought the whole idea of Uber was to save money by not using taxis that charge a lot.

One of the few cheap things left in Thailand is taxis. I dont see the point of Ubet.

Except that you cannot order a taxi on yoiur phone and when you wait, wait and wait on a street, the one who finally stops either wants THB300 for a five km ride or just says'too much traffic there' and drives off. The real plus of Uber is not the price (I would gladly pay more) but the fact that you have a driver who knows where he is going - and happy to go there.

5 minutes ago, laocowboy2 said:

Except that you cannot order a taxi on yoiur phone and when you wait, wait and wait on a street, the one who finally stops either wants THB300 for a five km ride or just says'too much traffic there' and drives off. The real plus of Uber is not the price (I would gladly pay more) but the fact that you have a driver who knows where he is going - and happy to go there.

Ah yes you pinpoint the Achilles heel of the present "taxi" system. You can also include a lot of drivers don't where you want to go. 

16 hours ago, clockman said:

This could be interesting?

Why ? The PM ( and those before him) is only protecting the main taxi owners who no doubt contribute to some worthwhile children's charity nominated by him.  How else would they have survived so long, employing drivers who in the main have only a basic understanding of Bangkok,  ignore passengers and refuse to take fares , which whilst against the law still generally go unpunished. ?

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

any violation of the law concerning the matter must be resolved with using existing laws and regulations. 

Seems Prayut doesn't need a 12-month study to know how Uber can operate legally. Maybe Sanit should consult with Prayut on how to resolve legal operation of Uber. Sanit doesn't need NLA to issue revised or new regulations - only Prayut's approval. Prayut can submit to the NLA any amended or new laws necessary for Uber to operate and within a week get unanimous NLA passage.

5 hours ago, Searat7 said:

A study lasting a year is ridiculous.....Uber is well known and established. If they need licenses to operate then license them. How about Grab taxi....operating in Thailand even longer. They are no different than Uber.

Really?

I thought Grab Taxi used already licensed taxi drivers.

Live and learn.

42 minutes ago, esprit said:

Why ? The PM ( and those before him) is only protecting the main taxi owners who no doubt contribute to some worthwhile children's charity nominated by him.  How else would they have survived so long, employing drivers who in the main have only a basic understanding of Bangkok,  ignore passengers and refuse to take fares , which whilst against the law still generally go unpunished. ?

They will get their brief turn being made an example of nefariousism (my made up word) everybody gets a turn. That way all things wrong appear on the BIB criminal "Wheel of Fortune" for a spin. Life here is one big pie of injustice and the BIB cut different pieces out from time to time to hold up for the lights action camera print group. Its a your in the criminal limelight situation from time to time. It gives us the appearance that all crimes are being investigated. Its like the movie "Now You See Me Now You Don't"

The "results of the study" makes me thing right away of what happened to a Thai woman after her husband had died in a 2:00AM car crash some years ago:

The police came to her home and asked her whether she wanted the results of his autopsy to reflect blood alcohol levels below or above the legal limit, the former necessitating a generous donation.

If you're expecting the study to be empirical, I have some real estate in Florida you might be interested in.

Edited by seminomadic

"He said while there are no directly applicable laws to regulate Uber, the country’s taxi drivers must be protected and public services must be regulated through the issuance of licences.  He said any violation of the law concerning the matter must be resolved with using existing laws and regulations. "

So basically its not illegal but they're going to stretch other laws to make it illegal cause they don't like it and the Songtaew and Taxi mafias don't make anything off of it. They do the same thing with the computer crimes act and stretch it to silence anyone that disagrees with them online.

Laws mean nothing here if you're not a target, you can get away with anything, if you are, they'll make something illegal on the spot just for you.

Edited by dwcrist

" Transport deputy permanent secretary Somsak Hommoung said if Uber refused to suspend its service while the study was being conducted it would make further talks, set for the next one or two months, more complicated.  "

Again. Typical Thai bureaucratic bullying. "If you don't give me what I want, how I want it, and suck up to me, I will make it difficult (impossible) for you to be approved despite your eligibility or your rights."

This is accepted standard operating procedure in Thailand and people wonder why corruption runs rampant. Many times in Thailand bribes/favors need to be paid to do things the legal way because of this kind of bullying and abuse of unchecked power.

He said the crackdown on Uber is one of the policies of the National Council for Peace and Order, in an attempt to keep order in the public transport sector. ":cheesy:

oh please !! You mean to pacify the Mafia taxi bosses more like it