Taking Thai/Kiwi Son to Oz, which passport to use?

Hi guys, 

Searched a few thread on this topic and wound up more confused.

So I'm looking for specific info from this year about which passport a Kiwi/Thai or Oz/Thai kid should exit and enter Australia and Thailand on?

Also what if any additional documents besides passports should we bring with us? His Thai mother has a tourist visa already and will be coming with us. 

Many thanks in advance. 

2 hours ago, Covertjay said:

Hi guys, 

Searched a few thread on this topic and wound up more confused.

So I'm looking for specific info from this year about which passport a Kiwi/Thai or Oz/Thai kid should exit and enter Australia and Thailand on?

Also what if any additional documents besides passports should we bring with us? His Thai mother has a tourist visa already and will be coming with us. 

Many thanks in advance. 

He must leave Thailand on the same passport he used to enter Thailand.  That said, you should always enter and exit using the passport of the country you are in if you have such a passport.  So, assuming he entered Thailand using his Thai passport:

1)  Check-in at Thai airport using his Australian or New Zealand passport.  This indicates to the airline that he will be allowed entry into Australia without having an Australian visa.

2)  Exit Thai immigration using his Thai passport.

3)  Enter Australia using his Australian or New Zealand passport.

on the return trip

4)  Check-in at Australian airport using his Thai passport.

5)  Exit Australian immigration using his Australian or New Zealand passport.

6)  Enter Thai immigration using his Thai passport.

Note: he always leaves a country's immigration using the same passport he entered the country with.  He never shows anyone both passports.  There is a correct passport to show in each situation and that is the only one he should show as recommended above.

I'll leave it to someone else to address the question of what other documentation you may need traveling with a child.  It's good that he will be traveling with his mother.  I guess it might be useful to have documentation indicating that he is her mother and similarly documentation showing you are his father, if you are the legal father.

• Like 1

+ 1 for the above answer, only thing I'd add is that exactly the same sequence would apply if your son was born here and this is his first trip overseas.

I've never had any issues with Immigration here in Thailand when departing with my 2 sons, so long as their Mother is with you, then it should not be an issue at all, as Skatewash suggests, it wouldn't harm to take some proof of parentage, the birth certificate should suffice in this instance, as this shows both parents and more importantly the Mother's details.

• Like 1