One year old rescued from car after locking himself in

webfact

One year old rescued from car after locking himself in

6am.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

CHACHOENGSAO: -- A boy aged one and a half was rescued from a pick-up truck after he locked himself in yesterday.

The drama happened at the fresh food market of Burapha City in Bang Pakong of Chachoengsao.

The Isuzu D-Max belongs to the boy's aunty who said that she, the boy's mother and his 14 year old brother had arrived at the market to sell some stuff, reported Thai Rath.

They had left the engine running for a few minutes to complete their business and left the one and a half year old boy inside the vehicle.

They think he must have activated the lock.

A locksmith was called and within two minutes he had managed to open the front passenger door with screwdriver, lever and wire.

The boy was crying but was none the worse for wear.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-28

You can't leave one so young alone for a min and with engine running as well... God knows much worse could have happened!!

The other day I saw a car with a minor inside playing behind the wheel with engine running, while an elder( probably aunt) was sitting behind playing on her phone.

Mum came back to car 5mins later..

4 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

You can't leave one so young alone for a min and with engine running as well... God knows much worse could have happened!!

The other day I saw a car with a minor inside playing behind the wheel with engine running, while an elder( probably aunt) was sitting behind playing on her phone.

Mum came back to car 5mins later..

ThANKS....The baby is ok and the family learned a lesson....

If he had been properly restrained in his car safety seat, this problem could have been averted, but he would still have been at risk from kidnap or car theft if car left with keys in and engine running.

Thais claim to love their kids but don't take basic precautions to protect them in cars or motorbikes with safety seats or helmets. Not due to poverty, but an active choice to spend the money on something else, even rich people let their kids stand up between the seats.

30 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

If he had been properly restrained in his car safety seat, this problem could have been averted, but he would still have been at risk from kidnap or car theft if car left with keys in and engine running.

Thais claim to love their kids but don't take basic precautions to protect them in cars or motorbikes with safety seats or helmets. Not due to poverty, but an active choice to spend the money on something else, even rich people let their kids stand up between the seats.

Car seat? 555

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

This sort of thing is very dangerous ....   the kid just has to bump the gear lever into D if an automatic and if the hand brake is not firmly on then '  bang  '  into anything in front.

stupid people ....:shock1:

With modern automatic transmission you have to press on the brake pedal to shift from "P" to "D". Also I doubt this Isuzu pick-up has automatic transmission but I agree, leaving a toddler alone in a car with the engine running is crazy.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

This sort of thing is very dangerous ....   the kid just has to bump the gear lever into D if an automatic and if the hand brake is not firmly on then '  bang  '  into anything in front.

I am in no way condoning the absolute stupidity of leaving a child unrestrained and unattended in a car with the engine running, but, you cannot just put the automatic lever into Drive, you need to depress the brake pedal first......just saying...:thumbsup:............On the other hand, maybe that safety function is disconnected in some Thai cars for convenience......:unsure:

Thais do love their kids as much as the next guy but ignorance about health and safety raises its ugly head....

blame the gov and a status quo culture...no desire nor curiosity on how to build a better mouse trap...

never question things we see as dangerous or common sense or even ethical...

just the the way it is over here and doubt it will change anytime soon...

Edited by cardinalblue

43 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Never leave a toddler along in a vehicle for a minute.

They can do almost anything pretending to be daddy or mommy " driving the car".

If they were only going to be a minute and needed all their hands to pick up shopping a minute in a car with both windows open an inch or two  and the doors locked sounds ok to me but to leave the engine running doesn't bare thinking about , manual/auto/handbrake on or off. If my wife is sitting next to me and I have to pick something up I take the key out . I mean really !

The only thing a toddler could possibly do in this case is lock the doors, which unfortunately he did. However, I'm sure there are plenty of lunatics around, especially here, who would just love to see an unlocked car with the engine running. Imagine how that could have turned out. For this reason it's sheer stupidity. 

12 hours ago, antoniuni said:

I am afraid they "learned" absolutely NOTHING!

I disagree.

They learnt that all that stuff hanging on the rear view mirror saved the life of their little darling!

Edited by DekDaeng

On 3/28/2017 at 1:11 AM, steven100 said:

He can't reach the brakes to do that.

That being said it's a dumb idea to leave a kid alone in the car with the engine on or not. Yet in Thailand who do we blame? It was the infant, she's to blame for hitting the locks...

3 minutes ago, wprime said:

He can't reach the brakes to do that.

That being said it's a dumb idea to leave a kid alone in the car with the engine on or not. Yet in Thailand who do we blame? It was the infant, she's to blame for hitting the locks...

Very unlikely to hit the brake and knock the auto gear shift into D .... but not impossible ....

however , still a bad idea all around to leave the infant alone in the car with engine running.