Van drivers ask PM to change new safety rules

webfact

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They claimed they have insufficient funds to make many of the adjustments which are required under the new rules. 

-------> liars ! stop buying luxury cars for your mia noi

They asked for the 13-seat limit to be cancelled so their current 15-seat vans can be used legally.

-------> go to hell

They also asked for the postponement on the requirement to have a GPS device installed on each van, which they claimed was unnecessary as congested traffic conditions prevent vans from speeding anyway. 

-------> shoot him

They said that the requirement for all passengers to wear seat belts should be the responsibility of passengers because the vans already instructing passengers to wear seat belts.

-------> liars, you just do not care about people life as anybody in this country

Who is stupid enough to even listen to this nonsense ?

21 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

I haven't seen any improvement in the policing of traffic. In other areas of policework they do seem to be catching up with other countries in investigating crimes using new technology. But as for traffic police the same tactics are still being used.
- The checkpoint - Looking for illegal immigrants.
- The U-turn waver- Helping during the rush hour to let traffic through.
- The Police car siren - a police car puts his siren on to speed up traffic.
- The traffic light changer - a policeman changes the lights depending on how much traffic.
- The ambush - Under a bridge or on some back road short cut a police checkpoint is set up, mostly looking for helmetless motorcyclists.
These seem to be the tactics I see everyday. Same, same.

More clearly stated, this was an impression I have been getting of late, rather than an actual visual confirmation that could be interpreted as fact. As you no doubt know, changes here are so slow that they are often almost imperceptible. You are, for the most part, still correct in your observations, evidentiarily speaking. Besides, any gains, real or imagined, are still subject to abrupt returns to 'normalcy,' which more often than not is the net result. Don't worry, no rose-colored glasses here.

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

In the past week,  none of my taxis had a working seat belt in the back seat. I was all over the place too; Thonburi, Silom, Lad Phrao, Siam, Chinatown

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that there are no back seat safety belt requirements in Thailand. I remember that being the case for a number of years in the US as well. I wear them, but only when in the front. Which of course entails a calculated risk. But the belts are usually present and functional for they who want to use them. At least in the newer cabs. But again, I do not believe they are requirements. As evidence, I offer as a basis for my assertion that many times after arrival here I was stopped when I or front seat passengers were not wearing belts. No one in the back was ever cited for this offense, even when it was patently obvious no one was using them.

More clearly stated, this was an impression I have been getting of late, rather than an actual visual confirmation that could be interpreted as fact. As you no doubt know, changes here are so slow that they are often almost imperceptible. You are, for the most part, still correct in your observations, evidentiarily speaking. Besides, any gains, real or imagined, are still subject to abrupt returns to 'normalcy,' which more often than not is the net result. Don't worry, no rose-colored glasses here.

You sound like your doing research, sat in a car on the side of the road with a pair of binoculars taking notes whilst watching the traffic police.

You also sound a bit like Yoda from Star Wars.1490762341753.jpg

43 minutes ago, hobz said:

Very misleading title. It's obviously not the van drivers that are complaining. It's the van owners that are too cheap to buy seat belts for the vans. 

The same van owners that pressure their drivers into driving like crazy.

Misdirection is like a sport of sorts on this freaking site. It almost seems like there is some sort of unshakable bias against the work-a-day Thai male, as well as pretty much anything connected to Thai culture amongst the 'enlightened' here. If I didn't know better, I would think that there are some seriously obese/obtuse 'farang' perched, just waiting for the slightest opportunity to pounce upon the 'obviously inferior' Thai men that so inconsiderately inflict themselves upon the more worthy among us. Of course, I am sure it only appears this way. 

6 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

You sound like your doing research, sat in a car on the side of the road with a pair of binoculars taking notes whilst watching the traffic police.

You also sound a bit like Yoda from Star Wars.1490762341753.jpg

I'm going to go with, thank you? My first impulse was, wow.

Edited by Songlaw
Incomplete thought

3 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Scrap the seat belt and 13 seat rule in favour for compulsory driver annual drug testing and life imprisonment for cases of death by dangerous driving, extended to vehicle owners who are proven to put unsafe vehicles on the road. That will do it ...... if enforced.

No it won't do! Your driver may be safe but that does not mean you are safe due to all the other dangers.  I will never understand why many people regard seatbelts as an inconvenience. They are essential life savers even in countries that are relatively safe. 

Passengers and the driver should be responsible for using them. Someone who refuse to wear a seatbelt will crush the person wearing a belt in front of them in a collision, so buckle up as it may be me and my family in front of you. 

5 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Pathetic outburst from the van drivers which explains clearly why they should all be taken of the road in the interests of public safety

I agree. I live in CM and every day I am passed by these idiots.

5 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Pathetic outburst from the van drivers which explains clearly why they should all be taken of the road in the interests of public safety

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Please, please whatever you do, do not make Thailand a safer place and do not force us into maintaining some discipline, and losing passenger fares. I beg you. Please let it be just like before, where we are able to hire incompetent drivers, who are very reckless, and  even though they get into accidents, and get many people killed on a consistent basis, we never have to face any real penalties, or suffer because of it. Please let things be like before. Yes we are making very good profits, but do not ask us to spend some of those profits on seat belts, and such unnecessary stuff like that. Please. I beg you. 

No doubt this fabulously incompetent government will continue to show utter and complete disregard for traffic and public safety. After all, who travels on those mini vans? It is not the wealthy, elite, or connected ones, is it? It is the general population, who must be ignored, and should not be protected, at all costs. 

Could it be that there is an allowance for culling of the general population because that is the only motive through the lack of mitigation of the continuous carnage on Thai roads . 

4 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Scrap the seat belt and 13 seat rule in favour for compulsory driver annual drug testing and life imprisonment for cases of death by dangerous driving, extended to vehicle owners who are proven to put unsafe vehicles on the road. That will do it ...... if enforced.

if enforced.

you said it! That's the problem

22 minutes ago, Songlaw said:

I wear them, but only when in the front. Which of course entails a calculated risk. But the belts are usually present and functional for they who want to use them. 

So you are happy to risk killing the person in front of you just because you can not be bothered to belt up. 

Safety will only improve when people make it clear that they want it. 

If the belt is under the seat I will pull it out if possible or at least comment to the driver. 

2 minutes ago, superal said:

Could it be that there is an allowance for culling of the general population because that is the only motive through the lack of mitigation of the continuous carnage on Thai roads . 

It's another conspiracy theory, where's Mulder and Scully?

tmp_5452-4959928-x-files-mulder-scully-102348625.jpg

Letter to Pm from Van drivers

We object to your new rulings How can we speed when this is in? Dont matter we will speed anyway Cops are no issue here They never pull us up for speeding As for the speed belts for 13 not 15 we object Killing 15 looks better than killing 13 and as for the GPS camera we object because they might show we are responsible for accident.  How can our drivers get away if they know where we are? So we not obey and we think will just carry on as before Ok your move Pm 

4 minutes ago, chang1 said:

So you are happy to risk killing the person in front of you just because you can not be bothered to belt up. 

Safety will only improve when people make it clear that they want it. 

If the belt is under the seat I will pull it out if possible or at least comment to the driver. 

Your powers of inference are intriguing. I guess we can only hope that they are not your go-to survival tool. The only time I am not polite is when someone presumes to 'think' for me. Anyone who knows me would not use 'happy' as a descriptor. Not even in a vain attempt to ridicule.

Just now, Happyman58 said:

Letter to Pm from Van drivers

We object to your new rulings How can we speed when this is in? Dont matter we will speed anyway Cops are no issue here They never pull us up for speeding As for the speed belts for 13 not 15 we object Killing 15 looks better than killing 13 and as for the GPS camera we object because they might show we are responsible for accident.  How can our drivers get away if they know where we are? So we not obey and we think will just carry on as before Ok your move Pm 

Sorry seat belts not speed belts Bad typing lol

7 hours ago, webfact said:

They asked for the 13-seat limit to be cancelled so their current 15-seat vans can be used legally. They also asked for the postponement on the requirement to have a GPS device installed on each van, which they claimed was unnecessary as congested traffic conditions prevent vans from speeding anyway. 

They said that the requirement for all passengers to wear seat belts should be the responsibility of passengers because the vans already instructing passengers to wear seat belts.

3 hours ago, chainarong said:

My place of origin the onus is on the driver to ensure that everyone is belted up they also where the fine , which is up around  eighteen thousand Baht per passenger, I can tell U no bus , van ,taxi moves until you are buckled up ,  no arguments , also fit speed limiters to vans  upwards on all  vehicles carrying passengers whether paying or not,...................................:coffee1:

As noted, anything they do is better than doing nothing.  Limiters have been around for a long time and the name indicates it can only do so much.  You limit the speed to 80-90 for example like they have done if you are in Pattaya with Bell bus service to the Airport. Whenever the bus exceed the limit they have set a small bell rings out. Let say it is set at 90, but what is to stop a driver who takes a turn slow down to 40, and he is taking it at 60 plus?  How do you prevent the driver from driving on the wrong line, tailgating another vehicle, passing on a curve etc..

What is a limiters going to do if the vehicle is poorly maintain, bad breaks, broken windshield, ball tires, etc.that shouldn't be on the road until fixed?.  in my life time there will never be a device or a car design safely enough that will curtail negligence behavior.

I started a outside business which I sold a number of years ago.  The business was to train new airline employee's how to operate heavy equipment in airports. One of the things they had on their vehicle call Tugs, were limiters, one day a accident happen with a veteran employee, he was taking a canister of luggage to arriving passengers although not exceeding the limiter, he took a turn too fast into the makeup area and the the canister overturn due to the speed of the turn.  The result he was suspended without pay for 1 week and put on final step to being fired. 

All the excuses that are being made by owners, drivers and smoke and mirror solution from government official are because of ignorance and lack of education. The same people trying to fix the problem grasp at straws because they are from the same system that provide no alternative or innovation.

Edited by thailand49

Am afraid thinking outside the box? Health and Safety of Passengers, Drivers, other Road users not part of the mindset so nothing new but nice to hear they were appealing to the Law Makers to re-consider? Now that's got to be a first??

Or better yet, have a police force that is actually out on ALL roads fining drivers for speeding, dangerous driving etc but without any recourse by the drivers to 'tip' the police and be let off.

Well well well logic does prevail but again enforcement is the weak link in the chain. 

"3. Wearing of seat belts should be the responsibility of passengers." That is true. How will the driver "enforce" the wearing of seat belts to a group of 13 or 15 passengers? Sometimes people need to take ownership of their own safety.

What worries me is the number of vehicles that do not appear to have seat belts fitted!! Taxis in particular. And then the authorities still want to fine the passengers for not wearing them! DUH!! Alice in Wonderland comes to mind when thinking of those who draft these rules. 

If they are not fitted, then FINE THE DRIVER TWICE AS MUCH!! In the meantime the passenger can make up their own mind whether they want to use that public service vehicle or not.

What they asking for? Oh not to enforce the wearing of seatbelts. At the end of the day what they're asking is that the poor bastards in these tin cans driven by maniacs be allowed to bounce around like a pea in a tin in the event of an accident. Great forward thinking about the same as thinking as far as the tip of their noses.

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Songlaw said:

Your powers of inference are intriguing. I guess we can only hope that they are not your go-to survival tool. The only time I am not polite is when someone presumes to 'think' for me. Anyone who knows me would not use 'happy' as a descriptor. Not even in a vain attempt to ridicule.

If it does not make you happier, why not take 5 seconds to put a belt on when it is possible? Please don't take it personally as you are part of the large majority of people who will  not use belts until the law has to think for and force them to. 

15 seats? it must have been a long time since i traveled by passenger vans in bangkok. i used to take the nonthaburi-bangkok route by van and i swear there are almost always 19 people (unless the passenger sitting in front pays for 2 seats) inside every van that left the terminal off victory monument.

this reaction from van drivers displays how much they truly consider the safety of the passengers they carry, including their own.