Thais overwhelmingly support Uber, GrabTaxi: survey

webfact

Thais overwhelmingly support Uber, GrabTaxi: survey
By The Nation

105536cd209aa1d687d3d53fbd7ddc68.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- More than 70 per cent of respondents in a survey expressed support for the ride-sharing Uber and GrabTaxi apps, saying they could be alternatives that would prompt normal taxis to improve their services.

The survey was carried out by Bangkok University among 1,193 people in Bangkok and its suburbs and the results were announced on Thursday.

The Bangkok Poll pollster announced that 75.1 per cent of respondents supported Uber and GrabTaxi services while 24.9 per cent said they did not support the apps.

But the pollster found that 75.9 per cent of the respondents said they had not used the ride-sharing apps while 24.1 per cent said they had.

Asked to name problems related to taxi services (each respondent could name more than one issue), 85.5 per cent said taxi drivers often rejected passengers, 42.4 per cent said taxi drivers intentionally increase fares by taking longer routes, and 35. 2 per cent said drivers were very impolite.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30310630

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-29

My missus simply doesn't like the normal taxis. She quite happily will pay more for a clean, safe and polite driver. Makes such a big difference when travelling farther to the airport, etc. Most Thai businesses need a kick up the arse but simply don't get one because they're all connected to someone powerful and rich. 

I don't owe taxis my money. If they don't like it, they can improve their service or  find another job. Uber and Grab aren't going anywhere as long as people also want the same things. Supply and demand. 

Most folks also overwhelmingly support free beer and free lunches.

As great as they sound, there's economic reasons they haven't caught on in centuries.  

Uber drivers don't pay the same taxes and licensing fees as their registered competition.   Someone's gotta replace that lost tax revenue.

Grab's got a better model, using licensed taxis.  Not so strangely, I never (?) hear about them getting hauled in to the principal's office to explain their behavior.  Not like Uber, anyway.

The reason Uber is doing so well is because the taxi service here is crap! People are obviously going to support the better service. Nicer smelling cars, safe and polite drivers, drivers who don't reject picking you up because of the traffic or because they want to charge you a flat fee. Taxis here have had years of screwing people, I have no sympathy for them if Uber puts them out of business

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

My missus simply doesn't like the normal taxis. She quite happily will pay more for a clean, safe and polite driver. Makes such a big difference when travelling farther to the airport, etc. Most Thai businesses need a kick up the arse but simply don't get one because they're all connected to someone powerful and rich. 

Wanted to take a cab from Saladang station at night, but was refused.  Threatened to complain.  The driver laughed and said "My company very big.  Don't care if you complain to government".  So yeah, that says it all.  Now is the time for them to pay for their arrogance.  Having said that, more than half taxi drivers in Bangkok are wonderful individuals. 

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Grab's got a better model, using licensed taxis.  Not so strangely, I never (?) hear about them getting hauled in to the principal's office to explain their behavior.  Not like Uber, anyway.

That's because, strangely, Grab Taxi is licenced, regulated and legal!

3 hours ago, TVGerry said:

...drivers who don't reject picking you up because of the traffic or because they want to charge you a flat fee.

I'd be surprised if half the Uber drivers don't reject the same passengers the regular taxis often reject.  

They just do it online, and not up close and personal.  Nobody's the wiser.

5 hours ago, TVGerry said:

The reason Uber is doing so well is because the taxi service here is crap! People are obviously going to support the better service. Nicer smelling cars, safe and polite drivers, drivers who don't reject picking you up because of the traffic or because they want to charge you a flat fee. Taxis here have had years of screwing people, I have no sympathy for them if Uber puts them out of business

You, you, no wait, have a taxi service!!! *gasp* ONE whole bloody hour again, I'd waited for the tiny 'chicken bus' here on The World's Tourist Destination Phuket. That or minimum FIVE HUNDRED BLOODY BAHT. ANYWHERE. 

Stupid Ignorant Corrupt As Cuntry.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

I'd be surprised if half the Uber drivers don't reject the same passengers the regular taxis often reject.  

They just do it online, and not up close and personal.  Nobody's the wiser.

Sure they can reject passengers online also, but at least you will be waiting inside your own house or at the place you are at, sitting down, with AC, relaxing, instead of standing in the burning sun seeing taxi after taxi passing by and refusing to take you anywhere.

34 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Sure they can reject passengers online also, but at least you will be waiting inside your own house or at the place you are at, sitting down, with AC, relaxing, instead of standing in the burning sun seeing taxi after taxi passing by and refusing to take you anywhere.

True, and a great feature of both Uber, who flouts taxi regulations and Grab, who uses registered, licensed, tax paying taxis.

I was pointing out (poorly) that the convenience offered isn't a result of any particular superiority between Uber/Grab drivers and the average taxi that I encounter in BKK.  Any one of them can disappoint.

And if Uber could figure out a formula where they only take business away from the knuckleheads, and leave the good ones enough business to feed their families, I'd drop every objection I have regarding Uber, even if they do flout the laws.  But they also compete (unfairly) with the good ones that most of us count on having around for our transport needs.  I don't think that's fair, nor do I think it's good in the long haul.

Outside of BKK, I'd probably compromise my beliefs and use Uber, too- leaning toward Grab if available.  But here in town, I've had 90+% good luck with taxis, as long as I avoid the ones camped out in front of tourist traps.  I hate to see the good guys punished for the behavior of the crappy ones.

If the government controlled taxis want to follow , all they have to do is to introduce a new app with a gps map and reduce their prices, simple as that  .  

8 minutes ago, balo said:

If the government controlled taxis want to follow , all they have to do is to introduce a new app with a gps map and reduce their prices, simple as that  .  

I think they will. But first they will keep on trying to stop Uber. (Which of course, they can't).

21 hours ago, gdgbb said:

What a truly representative survey, 1193 people, 76% of whom have never used Uber or Grab!  Brilliant.

Most likely 76% of the respondents own cars or at least motocys and never use any sort of Taxis anyway.

So, yes, this is VERY representative

On 30/03/2017 at 2:19 PM, siam2007 said:

Most likely 76% of the respondents own cars or at least motocys and never use any sort of Taxis anyway.

So, yes, this is VERY representative

You are speculating about that, so, no, the survey was an unrepresentative farce.

On 29/03/2017 at 9:42 PM, ricku said:

I use Uber all the time, and i highly recommend everyone here to do so.

Grab is my alternative when there aren't any Uber-cars available.

Why would you recommend uninsured vehicles?

Ordinary Bangkok taxis are trash    .....      don't use them   !!!!   :post-4641-1156693976:

cabs stink ..

drivers pissed ...

cars are old clangers ....

drivers are not friendly in any way ....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uber and GrabTaxi are good ....  clean cars and good service.

All Thai Taxis  are good ....   clean cars and service is fine.

9 hours ago, gdgbb said:

You are speculating about that, so, no, the survey was an unrepresentative farce.

8 hours ago, gdgbb said:

No, I am not speculating, I quoted facts from the survey!

And the facts say 76% support UBER and GRAB, these are the facts, no one gives a sh*t if you like it or not.

If you don't like these numbers, why don't you create your own "fake facts" survey then ?

1 hour ago, siam2007 said:

And the facts say 76% support UBER and GRAB, these are the facts, no one gives a sh*t if you like it or not.

If you don't like these numbers, why don't you create your own "fake facts" survey then ?

Oh dear, you may want to wind you neck in a bit...here's the quote that I referred to from the OP, "But the pollster found that 75.9 per cent of the respondents said they had not used the ride-sharing apps".   Most reasonable people would accept that 75.9% is fairly represented as 76% just in case you're going to have a go at that.

It seems that you are the one who is creating imaginary percentages, not me.  And what's with this "no one gives a shi t whether you like it or not"  attack?

1 hour ago, siam2007 said:

And for those who still don't get it or prefer "alternative facts"  --->>> There is another new reason arising everyday why UBER and GRAB are here to stay.  Period

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30310963

As that woman will no longer be driving licenced taxis following all her offences coming to light, don't be surprised if she turns up at your door as another unlicenced, uninsured Uber driver.

I wonder how long it will take the blinkered Uber supporters to "get it"?

Edited by gdgbb