• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

Juthamas, daughter put behind bars for bribery
By THE NATION,
AGENCIES

328b5c153b7088683c440cb3280e80a7.jpeg

Juthamas Siriwan, right, a former governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, and his daughter are taken to jail after the Criminal Court convicted them for corruption. Both received long jail terms and face asset seizures.

TAT ex-governor gets 50-year sentence, daughter gets 44 years; bail plea pending

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/976024-latest-juthamas-daughter-put-behind-bars-for-bribery/

15 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Well done, Thai authorities, yet another nail in the-rich-and-connected-are-never-prosecuted-and-jailed-in-Thailand  coffin.  There will be some angry Thai bashers around today.

Why would "Thai bashers" (better known as "realists") be angry?  Still thousands of similar criminals walking free, so it's not like there's suddenly a shortage of things to bash.   The only thing unusual here is that she ran out of cover.

3 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Congratulations on being so negative, just as you would have been if they have been found not guilty.  Thailand can't win with some people, can it?

Just one case is hardly evidence that the bad old days of hi-so impunity are over.   Not even you believe that yourself, although you'll argue otherwise.

11 hours ago, gamini said:

calling the judges Corrupt is contempt of court. I think you should be very careful. You have no proof. I have had a lot of dealings with the law in this country over the past 50 years and found most of the judges honest.. Can you say the same

Lots of articles out there about it.  Here's a few:

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/four-senior-judges-fired-gross-disciplinary-violations/

You can get more details if you search for this:

Judge sackings send shockwaves across the benches

In the Bangkok Post.  Can't put a link here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/975942-ex-tat-governor-juthamas-jailed-for-50-years-for-corruption/?page=2#comment-11753618

But Mrs Hawksworth-Quill said: "Kevin says he was visited by a police officer who told him that if he paid a bribe of about £16,000 the judge hearing his appeal would quash the conviction. Kevin told him he must be joking and is determined to fight on to clear his name."

16 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Could be another 50 years before they see the inside

of a cell,the time it has taken to get this far.,but nice

to see they are starting to take corruption seriously.

regards Worgeordie

doubt it. they are probably red shirts so it is probably politically motivated which does is not effective in stopping corruption.

18 hours ago, balo said:

Sorry I don't believe they will be inside the prison for 50 years , not even 2 years. Hi-so people always finds a way out.

A few years ago a bigwig politician was jailed. On his very first day inside he 'became ill' and was promptly moved to a VIP room at a non-prison hospital where, as far as I know, he still lives. Easy to see the same happening to this old crone.

On 30/03/2017 at 6:15 AM, edwinchester said:

No they weren't. The American husband and wife who paid the bribes were tried and sentenced in the US.

That's who I was talking about.

On 30/03/2017 at 6:17 AM, ChidlomDweller said:

Just one case is hardly evidence that the bad old days of hi-so impunity are over.   Not even you believe that yourself, although you'll argue otherwise.

I didn't say that those days were over.  And there are many more cases than just this one, although you and others will argue otherwise.