Now give the "real" reason why you are leaving.

CharlieH

16 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Yeah my friend was from there. You don't just walk around anywhere anytime like you do in Thailand. That is what he said anyway. It isn't something I feel that strongly about. This thread however is asking people who are leaving why they are leaving. 

I think I gave some pretty good opinions as to the "real" reasons I am leaving. 

Is the beer any better?  I can afford the beer anywhere I go so does it taste better?

I am not a beer drinker, so better to me means colder. I prefer Jack Daniels, it costs about the same as it does here. I haven't read your post, but I will. I just posted my reasons.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, whoareyou said:

You might want to consult wiki for definitions of what a third world country is.

Perhaps you may feel happier knowing that thailand is not emoji16.png

Let's put it this way. I am the one deciding if I leave or stay and so my opinion on the subject is the only one that matters. Though you could be right that Thailand lacks some of the charm of a third world country but the infrastructure of a well developed country. 

Edited by anotheruser
to keep it strictly about Thailand.

Just now, smotherb said:

I am not a beer drinker, so better to me means colder. I prefer Jack Daniels, it costs about the same as it does here. I haven't read your post, but I will. I just posted my reasons.

A mod warned us to keep the thread to Thailand. I think we should honor his request.

The more you know Thais and Thai culture, and the higher incomes Thais gain, the more you realize how disliked/tolerated we actually are. Best to move onto Philippines. People are nicer and speak decent English. No visa run for 18 months. That's my next destination and I think I'll only miss some Thai foods.

18 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

You haven't read most of what I posted. I do not believe Thailand is getting better and have said I am leaving. I do not like it here and never really have and have somewhat toned down my opinion of the country. So what I am saying is for the same reasons I am tired of living in a third world dump as Thailand would probably be applicable to a place like Ecuador. 

I am not sure where you saw me defending Thailand in this thread?

Thailand is to countries what Chang is to beer is about the best way I can explain it. I mean this literally in terms of taste and price.  

I have not read your post. I saw no defense of Thailand, only detrimental comments about Ecuador--as I would tell anyone, if you really want to know about a country, you have to go there and live for an extended period of time. It would be beneficial if that country was not so difficult to visit for a time. 

I'm an early retiree but I have great respect for the "wake up" call for those who have spent a lot of time here.
Change is not bad and who knows what could happen later specially for the older generation, at least they can die surrounded by their loved ones.

7 minutes ago, stravers said:

The more you know Thais and Thai culture, and the higher incomes Thais gain, the more you realize how disliked/tolerated we actually are. Best to move onto Philippines. People are nicer and speak decent English. No visa run for 18 months. That's my next destination and I think I'll only miss some Thai foods.

fully agree, the more ive come to understand the language the more i see how things truly are.

a lot of the 'happy/alcoholic' guys have zero interaction with anything local, including the language.

i love thai food but its ruined by terrible ingredients and hygeine.

thai honey isnt honey, the milk is crap, the cheese is crap, the beef is crap, theres hardly any lamb...

in fact i cant believe i forgot to add i hate the fact that almost everything i plant in my garden apart from basil, chillis, bananas & papayas rots within months if it even germinates!

it truly is an effort to not suffer depression here, lol

- i love coconuts & mangos & 2 hour massages!

Edited by edgarfriendly

Let's put it this way. I am the one deciding if I leave or stay and so my opinion on the subject is the only one that matters. Though you could be right that Thailand lacks some of the charm of a third world country but the infrastructure of a well developed country. 

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you knew thailand was a DEVELOPING country but you just forgot lol

By the way I'm just waiting for the next chance to move else where I definitely would since food and food products are inedible for normal humans like me with being sick to my stomach sine I came here Jan 2016.  It's a filthy paradise.

Also, the language barrier on itself makes me sick over.

Edited by true word

We are a filipino european couple and we will leave soon.

For me it is the immigration and visa regulations. You cannot live on tourist visas in Thailand anymore in a peaceful way. And elite visas are simply too expensive for what they are. I do not want to give that to a country that I experience as extremely small hearted towards foreigners when it is about money.

My girlfriend has been teaching here for 4 years as a Science teacher. She is quite good and has 2 degrees. 1 of them from a US university. Despite this the Thai schools do not want to pay appropriate salaries. They only want white color even if the falang is dumb like a stone.

Therefore we will go to a place on another continent where immigration hassles are less and where she can teach at reasonable conditions.

We are a filipino european couple and we will leave soon.
For me it is the immigration and visa regulations. You cannot live on tourist visas in Thailand anymore in a peaceful way. And elite visas are simply too expensive for what they are. I do not want to give that to a country that I experience as extremely small hearted towards foreigners when it is about money.
My girlfriend has been teaching here for 4 years as a Science teacher. She is quite good and has 2 degrees. 1 of them from a US university. Despite this the Thai schools do not want to pay appropriate salaries. They only want white color even if the falang is dumb like a stone.
Therefore we will go to a place on another continent where immigration hassles are less and where she can teach at reasonable conditions.

Most leave because of poor salary or no money . This isn't a reflection of thailand as a whole like your suggesting but rather a poor choice of struggling couples.

Go back to the west put some serious money together and thailand will become the ultimate playground.. Trust me.. It's always always about the money, just ask trump [emoji16]

1 minute ago, whoareyou said:

Most leave because of poor salary or no money . This isn't a reflection of thailand as a whole like your suggesting but rather a poor choice of struggling couples.

Go back to the west put some serious money together and thailand will become the ultimate playground.. Trust me.. It's always always about the money, just ask trump emoji16.png

You got that backwards most come because of a small pension. 

I really believe that Thailand has changed greatly in attitudes and many of the other niceties that were so prevalent 40 years ago. Some of this change is due to becoming an emerging Nation; mother and father both working; the rushing that consumes life due to the traffic; and the fact that so many foreigners have come here and the Thais have picked up many of the bad habits that foreigners exhibit. 

I get along well with most thais; speak the language well enough to know the difference in what the smile means and understand the culture well.  Thais will still smile at you but sometimes you have to make the effort first.

I do miss the Thailand of old where things were more laid back and money was not the main concern of life and every smile was genuine. Thais have become more greedy and money oriented but I attribute this to developing a Western taste for things they don't really need and striving to become Hi So and show off the wealth.  However, being in the West is no better because I see the same self centered behavior in America that I see here.

I will stay in Thailand until the end because of marriage; home etc and I try and remember that basically most Thais are decent people just trying to do the best they can to live. Since I am here, I try my best to keep quiet; enjoy life as best I can and ignore the things I cannot change. However, I do recognize that there are other countries that I could live in very happily. Unfortunately, America and Europe are not on the list.

Charlie H:

Excellent OP. I tip my hat to you for your thoughtfulness.

I regularly assess my life options including relocation, and feel like I am "in touch" with how I feel about Thailand. When I assess Thailand's desirability, my number one concern has been climate change. Thailand has definitely become hotter, drier, and dustier in the past 15-20 years. I worry about the impact climate change may be having on my health.

In the recent past, I have also begun to feel that the government, not day to day people, has been sending less and less welcoming signals to foreigners. While I am loath to complain about reporting to immigration annually, and reporting my address every 90 days (which really doesn't bother me that much), when you add in changes like increased screening for dutiable items at the airport, hassles about government land compliance (a biggie), having to produce your passport everytime you make a large withdrawal at the bank, censorship of overseas news outlets, and the fact that your social media can be easily monitored,  all this collectively has contributed to me feeling less welcome here than in the past. The aggressive populist land reform actions, which I actually support but feel are in many ways misguided,  I suspect have ensnared more foreigners than have dared to voice their fustratrions on social media. This has, in particular, contributed to a class warfare social environment out in the countryside, which hasn't been positive. 

I'll admit, too, that I have been truly shocked at how much rents in the US have gone up in the past 15 years. I guess I was lulled into complacency with all the talk about deflation in the West. I could still move back to say, Seattle, but I'll admit those rents of $1750+/month for a one bedroom apartment would take a big bite out of my budget.

I still feel fairly welcomed here in terms of day to day contact with Thais, and maybe all this will pass. I do feel warmth and a "special" connection with Thais. For the time being I am taking a wait and see approach. Other locations being actively evaluated? Lyon, France (where I am heading in a few days); Seattle, Merida, Mexico, and Prachuab Khiri Khan.

Edited by Gecko123

The poster Gecko 123 has a very good point- regarding the climate. I remember when I first arrive at Don Muang in the 60s- there was no air condition and there was none in any of the Taxi's.  Yet I did not feel that uncomfortable.  Thailand is definitely hotter; more dust and polluted even in the countryside. Much of this is due to rapid industrialization; more cars; and uncontrolled building. Even the quality of vegetables you see in the markets have deteriorated through the years- .

I have to admit if I was younger ; single and arriving today whether I would really want to make Thailand my home. As I previously mentioned there are plenty of other countries that are attractive for the expat.

39 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Nods.

Nods as well. 

After 30 years, I've had enough of the Thai way and lifestyle. It was interesting for quite a number of years, and I maintained the charade of liking the life.** But the gloss began to wear off a couple of decades ago, and from then on in my life was in a holding pattern in order to benefit from a decent job and provide stability for my family. (There was a lot of uncertainty about work at home, so it was better to bite the bullet and keep my job here.)

But then I retired and quit drinking and began to take stock of the reality of living here. I had been in despair for some time about the corruption, dishonesty, lying and prevarication, but now I had more time to think about it (and "feel" and "taste" it), and it wasn't very pleasant -- like many of us (including many Thais), I believe in doing the right thing, and I tend to get a bit cut up when I see good people being hurt.

Then there's the Pattaya factor. I moved to within easy reach of the city some years back, and at first enjoyed where I live. But attitudes in Pattaya in general are deteriorating, including out where I live, and my friendly nature is often met with scowls these days (I hope the mods don't let Jsixpack comment on this -- I'm tired of his propaganda and deliberate obfuscation). At the same time, the situation on the roads has deteriorated from dangerous to murderous and I'm seeing more and more instances of road rage every day. 

So, on my last visit home a couple of years back, I felt more relaxed than I have in ages, and though I have a few qualms about the cold on my health, and a couple of other issues, I think the move back to be with family will be the best thing I can do in my dotage. 

** Let's be honest, there is a lot to like about living here, and there will be much that I miss when I leave. But it's not enough to anymore.

On 3/29/2017 at 4:15 PM, CharlieH said:

Many members claim this and that and paint a picture that its all Thailands fault. When in reality its their own issues that force the decision to make a move.

In many cases it's probably more like a little kid who wants to go to summer camp, but a few days in he calls mother to say the food is making him sick & the other kids are not nice, so he wants to go home ... when in reality he just misses his mum.

Much truth in what the poster indicates  regarding life in Thailand now as compared to many years ago. Frankly, I attribute the changes in Pattaya; Phuket; Samui and even Chiang Mai to foreigner fatigue.  The Thais have just about had it with drunken foreigners; impolite and demanding customers; and the constant use of vulgarity in everyday speech. Actually, I am as sick of it as the Thais are. At least in Thailand, I can get away from the crap by staying out of the tourist centers. I'm not quite sure I could do that with a move back to America.

Seems to me there's other scenarios, person by person.

I got posted here over 35 years ago, good job and within 5 years I got an offer to jump to a much higher position, same industry, great job challenges, great company, great work satisfaction. Now in my early seventies.

I met the love of my life not long after I arrived here (Thai lady, doctor of medicine, spoke advanced English, wonderful lady full of fun & caring, wrote books, worldly, contributed a lot to the community) and we developed a great relationship. She's since passed away.

Today I live with my Thai son (only child) and his wonderful Thai wife (both professors) and their 3 kids. My son and his wife devote most of their time to their kids, family events, family activities together and helping less fortunate folks. And they make sure I'm happy and contented.

My son is my best buddy in life. Son, wife and 3 kids all speak Thai (me too) and the kids are learning Chinese and Japanese. Our language at home is 100% English.

I need nothing more, desire nothing more, no reason in the world to think about moving anywhere.

Thailand is where my family is, I'm very happy, I'm home.

Edited by scorecard

First came to Thailand 1971, worked here from 1983 to 1987, followed by 6 years working in Taiwan. Married my Thai partner in 1990 in Taiwan. Returned to Thailand to live in 1993 having taken early retirement. Now 75 years old, still married happily to the same Thai lady, I have no intention of returning to the UK. Thailand and the Thai people have changed a lot over the years and not for the better. The same, however, applies to the UK. No intention to leave Thailand, and expect to see out my days here. Great memories, and even today Thailand can still be a charming place.

I guess I expected Thailand to move closer to what the rest of the world is doing and forego a lot of its antiquated rules...

What I dint expect is Thailand IMHO, going backwards and still allowing the political BS/dictatorship to continue

With other countries I have lived in, there is a progression forwards/backwards/anywhere as it doesnt matter, because whatever way it moves, which is generally forward, it is noticeable as old ways fade out quickly....

This doesnt seem to be the case in Thailand... Its just dead in the water

And the people here dont "seem" to give a flying rats a$$ and allow these complete buffoons to make country decisions based on logic that belongs to a child and not someone of "age and authority"... I just dont get it!

I never saw this in the first few years I was here, but with a wife and kids now, I am exposed to their education system which is horrificly shocking, that homeschooling became and option and its then I found out how even many Thais are doing it, due to it being so badly managed....

I think the Thai perspectives do vary with Expats.. those that are here to retire.. those that started families and those that simply enjoy other expats company at bars and other social establishments....

Im not leaving, but I certainly am leaving my options open a lot more than usual

2 hours ago, Tracyb said:

What's really bothering me about my future in Thailand???  I'm not worried about healthcare, per se.  I think the accredited hospitals here in the city are fine, if a little expensive.  ( although MUCH cheaper and more efficient than those in America!)

No, what I'm worried about is that I'll need to get to the hospital here in Bangkok in a hurry, I mean, a REAL hurry.  I have nightmares about my ambulance being stuck in traffic on Sukhumvit with the siren blaring and NO ONE pulling over to get out of the way.  At least back home in America I can depend on getting to the hospital in a hurry and Medicare will pay the hospital bills, too.

Then you must switch to a tuk tuk which can weave in and out of lanes in all directions.

I'm not joking. Years ago, when I severed a tendon in a finger due to a neon light imploding as I was holding it, the blood was gushing like water. I knew a taxi would take at least half an hour to get to the hospital where I had free medical treatment because of the traffic but the tuk tuk driver took one look at my hand and said 'Pai!'

Like an ambulance, he just sped  straight to his target in 10 minutes, breaking every traffic rule invented. I left blood all over his seat but he just smiled and produced a wet cloth. I'm not sure a taxi driver would have been so kind.