Now give the "real" reason why you are leaving.

CharlieH

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/30/2017 at 3:09 PM, anotheruser said:

That question really depends on what you consider paradise and as always that what can not be escaped... how much money you have.

As we all know Thailand is the ultimate destination for the economic refugee.

It all boils down to the money honey. Whether its we working class fellows who saved a bit over the years or the broke governments now trying to take it away from us. As I stated before governments most of them told us to save for our retirements with fancy tax deductible plans which we/I used. Yes we have chosen Thailand for our ultimate destination because of the weather and low level of living costs and the ladies. We took the gamble and to me we won. I keep listening to people in the west complaining that its impossible to retire there because of the cost of things and that they cannot accumulate any nest egg all of which I believe and that they must work till they drop (which I am starting to believe) We you and I became the Christopher Colombus's of retirement. We will never achieve the fame he did but our families and their families and their families families will sing our praises for what we accomplished. Working till you drop could be the only future option available for many.  

The OP is pretty well worded to put most farang into one group. I get what he is saying about how some of it is ourselves that causes us to leave. That is a fair enough point but it doesn't completely absolve Thailand of some things that are driving people out.

Maybe I am just getting older but I am not a fan of garbage everywhere, the traffic was always bad but is now at insane levels and it qualifies as a legitimate public health crisis. Not a fan of having my freedom of speech limited or being afraid of what I say. 

Maybe it is just me but there is no doubt there has been negative changes. I have enough money and will be leaving before the second year of my TE visa even occurs. So I am not struggling on a pension but feel that Thailand no longer offers a good value for money. The Thailand brand is pretty tarnished at this point.

To suggest that many people gave reasons other than the "real" reason implies those of us who are leaving are deceiving ourselves or liars. I came to Thailand back when it was still a relatively nice place. If you tell me for example that Phuket hasn't changed that much in twenty years and it is just me getting older that makes it seem like it has become a stinking, hunk of rubble and feces that is laughable.

Tell me when the bay turns green that is my imagination and not a biohazard.

Sometimes when something is criticized by many for being a big pile of dung it is in fact because that is what it now is. 

All that aside, a better question could be for those that bitch and whine incessantly, what is the "real" reason you stay? Most people that are unhappy with Thailand and have two nickels to rub together have or will actually leave. The penniless droves the OP describes are the ones that have to stay and no longer have the option.

Where are you planning to move to?

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 3/31/2017 at 11:57 AM, jenifer d said:

maybe we're spoiled here, not so much poverty since most make pretty good living thanks to constant tourist influx, and many of the permanent residents are wealthy Muslim families who have had the land for many generations, and have no intention of selling-

i concur with what  JAFO stated, everybody knows the bad apples, and if somebody intends me harm personally, somebody will warn me,

or they will actually warn the problem-causer to back off- our particular community is very close-knit

You know how it is sometimes, you read a post, see a photo and think to yourself something not quite right here ? I get that with your posts, I don't know why I just do, it all seems just a little bit too ideal for my liking, that photo you posted, seems faded ! Perhaps some more up to date pics would be good, and I'm not 100% convinced that you are a female. I don't know why I just don't believe any of it.

Sorry about that but all my alarm bells are going fake, fake, fake. 

In direct response to the Op, Thailand is going downhill, is becoming unwelcoming to Western Visitors and is becoming comparitievly expensive compared with alternatives. It would be interesting to know how high the perecentage of those defending Thailand are those that effectively don't have a realistic choice (family / money) to go elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

You know how it is sometimes, you read a post, see a photo and think to yourself something not quite right here ? I get that with your posts, I don't know why I just do, it all seems just a little bit too ideal for my liking, that photo you posted, seems faded ! Perhaps some more up to date pics would be good, and I'm not 100% convinced that you are a female. I don't know why I just don't believe any of it.

Sorry about that but all my alarm bells are going fake, fake, fake. 

Someone sounds a bit in the know here. Mango shake madame?

Go if you want to go. Stay if you want to stay. There are lots of options. You can even change your mind next week. Stay and go. Go and come back. Go somewhere entirely different. The permutations are endless. 

22 hours ago, Goldbear said:

Go if you want to go. Stay if you want to stay. There are lots of options. You can even change your mind next week. Stay and go. Go and come back. Go somewhere entirely different. The permutations are endless. 

I am going home for medical reasons.However,upon reflection, the causes are probably deeper than that and I would have gone in the next year anyway.

Although I am a native Sydneysider I have chosen a smaller country town which has a reasonable hospital and access to larger services in the larger regional centre about a 100 ks away.

I miss my country's gloriously blue skies,the feeling of space and the myriad of stars at night.All life is a journey where the winding road unfolds before one and at present I just prefer to do that on an Australian country road rather than on a Thai one.

I should add that I am bored witless with the Thai issue of "Saving Face" in which one has to pussyfoot around for 30 minutes in order to placate some brain dead individual who may try to attack you-one way or the other-unless their fragile self/cultural esteem is monstrously assuaged.

I had to do this a couple of months ago when I was impertinent enough to point out to a Thai doctor that she was,in actual fact,ordering the wrong blood test for my condition.No matter how I tried to sugar coat the pill it was a case of backs to the wall and no further negotiation.

Just a Potemkin village,really.

Edited by Odysseus123
clarity

On 4/2/2017 at 3:44 PM, Robert24 said:

All that aside, a better question could be for those that bitch and whine incessantly, what is the "real" reason you stay? Most people that are unhappy with Thailand and have two nickels to rub together have or will actually leave. The penniless droves the OP describes are the ones that have to stay and no longer have the option.

I liked your article and when you find a better location to live post it here so we can all eat our hearts out. Maybe its a small island somewhere still pristine who knows frankly that would not work for me. I think you will find the few Utopia's left in the world all have warts of one kind another. Its akin to looking for the Holy Grail of retirement. 

On 4/2/2017 at 5:17 PM, Rc2702 said:

Someone sounds a bit in the know here. Mango shake madame?

Not in the know at all Rc, I dunno what the Mango shake is either :smile: So help me out here please old chap, I really did have alarm bells ringing, it was all too perfect, coffee with the boss at immigration ? Really !! A non discript photo of some beach somewhere that actually looks as though it's been scanned from a brochure :smile:

Electric bill 500 baht a month due to sea breezes ? I was on Koh Khut in January, had the air con on every night, and we were less than 20 meters to the ocean, I can post pics if anyone wants confirmation, so unless our Jennifer can provide more evidence of "her" cosy idyll then I will continue to call it all, whats that word that begins with B and ends in ollox ?  Oh yeah, that's the one :smile:

Sorry for the late reply by the way, been busy with real life..........................................:cheesy:

49 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Not in the know at all Rc, I dunno what the Mango shake is either :smile: So help me out here please old chap, I really did have alarm bells ringing, it was all too perfect, coffee with the boss at immigration ? Really !! A non discript photo of some beach somewhere that actually looks as though it's been scanned from a brochure :smile:

Electric bill 500 baht a month due to sea breezes ? I was on Koh Khut in January, had the air con on every night, and we were less than 20 meters to the ocean, I can post pics if anyone wants confirmation, so unless our Jennifer can provide more evidence of "her" cosy idyll then I will continue to call it all, whats that word that begins with B and ends in ollox ?  Oh yeah, that's the one :smile:

Sorry for the late reply by the way, been busy with real life..........................................:cheesy:

I'm pretty sure I have met the Person in question some years ago. LA background living on lanta, drinking Mango shakes and an author I was led to believe but it never crossed my mind until I read this thread. That's it nothing too juicy besides the Mango shakes of course.

The 'real reason' I moved on?

Stellar op this, cheers Charlie. The thing is this , from a fempat's point of view and from a 'I'm a guy in Thailand' point of view.

Forgive any stereotypes here as they are not intentional. 

She says: Years ago I went to Bkk as my first overseas gig. I holidayed there before so knew it all or so I thought. Bangkok was a developing mess when they were still importing the parts for the Skytrain. I drove down Chonburi way with Swiss-German friends to find the best route. It's a reputable company to this day in Bkk, but anyway. The head of that company was married to a lovely Thai girl. He ditched the sin sod and married her in Basel then had some thing in Thailand but he controlled all of it. No rip offs, no bride money etc.

I guess from a woman's point of view the place is the place to hook up, the place for the men to get atonement, what they could never get 'back home' the stereotypes do go on but so many true. 

He says: And this is about 100 % true. She is submissive, she knows how to handle a household, she loves me..so he gives everything to her, the MacMansion, the whatever fund, works and believes he is one of the locals. Ok maybe 99%. Then it all goes pear shapes and he has no pot to do his stuff in of a feather to fly back home with. No savings no anything else. Same goes for women too who fall into relationships and I have seen plenty in my time there.

Those who work out kids education comes top. My time there I had a great experience, went on to Shanghai and Hk, looking back the place burnt me out. The night when three Thais died trying to steal the electricity cables from the Ekamai 10 place I was in clinched the deal. Still trying to get the guys on motocys out of my head riding away with that.

HK works. I love the me here and my husband, we have friends there, we go back but the <deleted> if still there.