For those with Samsung inverter washing machines

Crossy

Let's see:

Samsung Galaxy 7? have a record of catching fire. Airlines have banned them.

Samsung washing machines also have a record of catching fire. I understand there were about 100 fires in the UK alone. Australia and NZ similarly affected.

IMHO it's a brand I would be avoiding.

On 8/10/2017 at 6:56 PM, Crossy said:

Well, here we are 4 months later and it went "phut" again. I was in the room with it, a flicker of the room lights suggesting a surge / interruption followed by the machine running down from spin and no lights on the front.

Out of warranty so a total of 3,800 Baht to replace the electronics module (inc. 1,050 call out) . Replacement has a 3 month warranty.

We get to keep the dead one, 100% through-hole components with a popped incoming fuse, should be 100% repairable.

Except.

The ruddy lot (including the fuse) is epoxy coated. It's unlikely to be just the fuse (it's annihilated, not just open so I suspect a switcher fault) but no real reason the unit is not repairable if the parts are available.

Grrrrr.

I'll be looking on Ebay for the relevant part number, it's not like I can't DIY fit a replacement.

So are you saying you didn't unplug it?

Thanks for the thread as I am looking to buy a new washer and was looking at inverter models. My Indesit  that I brought over from the UK about 10 years ago is now around 16 years old and starting to dance a bit when on spin.

5 hours ago, Wirejerker said:

It has had a few new parts over the years - timerswitch, water pump, all hoses, water solenoids, electronic motor control, vee belt and agitator.

For me I have a list of parts just as long that are worn out but who wants to live forever

Only Fools and Horses :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/onlyfools/quotes/quote11.shtml

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Crossy said:

Same principle, the drum motor is electronically controlled to vary the speed and direction, they are usually direct-drive (no belts).

Thank you, I can understand why using inverter for aircon, but it seems so useless to pay a washing machine 40000 when similar but not inverter costs 15000...

22 hours ago, carlyai said:

I think your statement is a little too general.

Even though it's only been a couple of years, out inverter aircons and washing machine are still working OK.
But we do have incoming voltage stabalisers.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Well, I had a window rotary air-con in my bedroom, (Singer) for 25yrs and used every night.

Never had a problem but because of age and rust it finally took its last breath.

Bought an Samsung Inverter which went belly up 2 yrs old.

Guarantee? Only on the mechanical parts and not on the printed cards which are the problem.

Repair costs baht 6000-. even the repairman said that Inverters were no good for Thailand.

So now I have 2 LGs no inverter and no problems, one of them is allready about 7 yrs old.

Google "inverter air-con thailand" or something like that and you will see thousands of comments, all of them negative.

Wish you luck with using anything Inverter, you will need it and a bag of money for repair costs. :welcomeani:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Let's see:

Samsung Galaxy 7? have a record of catching fire. Airlines have banned them.

Samsung washing machines also have a record of catching fire. I understand there were about 100 fires in the UK alone. Australia and NZ similarly affected.

IMHO it's a brand I would be avoiding.

I for one will have nothing to do with anything Samsung.

Never, ever.:bah:

I have a Panasonic twin tub machine that is 10 years old and I can say that the service has been excellent and I give a thumbs up to the service technician, me.  It's usually up and running the same day that it breaks.  It has failed many times over the past 10 years, two washer tub transmissions, two spin motors, a start capacitor, numerous belts, two washer tub timer switches, two spin tub timer switches and numerous drain valve repairs  but it' still runs fine.  I've thought about buying a new one but expect that if I do it will just be another fix and repair monthly no matter what brand. Fortunately the washer repair shop in town nearby has always had a replacement part, either original or aftermarket on in stock.

I did have an automatic, non inverter, some years ago but when it failed it was always off to the repair shop and he always had it for days.  He always had to order the part from Bangkok and many times the part that he got the first time didn't fix the problem.  I would never own an inverter anything here as the power supplied by PEA is total garbage!

On 8/11/2017 at 7:03 PM, wayned said:

I tried to convert my old Panasonic washing machine into and inverter type, but when I turned it over I couldn't keep the water in it! :sorry:

I had something like that years ago.  It was a cinosanaq brand, or some such, and I couldn't read anything on the carton.  Years later the service tech pointed out it was installed upside down.  Worked about the same when we flipped it, though the door hinge was then on the other side.  It was a lot easier to get to the control dials.  Front loader.

Edited by Damrongsak

Just to clarify, we didn't buy this machine because it was an inverter model, we bought it for its load capacity, it just happened to be an inverter model.

Our Whirlpool machine was 10 years old and the drum bearings were toast, time for a new one. Of course once she had the new one Wifey got the man in to replace the bearings and drum stabilisers and the Whirlpool is now in the shed doing sterling service washing the dog bedding, dish cloths and the like.

And of course acting as a backup for the Samsung.

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Just to clarify, we didn't buy this machine because it was an inverter model, we bought it for its load capacity, it just happened to be an inverter model.

Our Whirlpool machine was 10 years old and the drum bearings were toast, time for a new one. Of course once she had the new one Wifey got the man in to replace the bearings and drum stabilisers and the Whirlpool is now in the shed doing sterling service washing the dog bedding, dish cloths and the like.

And of course acting as a backup for the Samsung.

Be alert for dog hairs in your underpants.

9 hours ago, bandito said:

Well, I had a window rotary air-con in my bedroom, (Singer) for 25yrs and used every night.

Never had a problem but because of age and rust it finally took its last breath.

Bought an Samsung Inverter which went belly up 2 yrs old.

Guarantee? Only on the mechanical parts and not on the printed cards which are the problem.

Repair costs baht 6000-. even the repairman said that Inverters were no good for Thailand.

So now I have 2 LGs no inverter and no problems, one of them is allready about 7 yrs old.

Google "inverter air-con thailand" or something like that and you will see thousands of comments, all of them negative.

Wish you luck with using anything Inverter, you will need it and a bag of money for repair costs. :welcomeani:

8 years daikin inverter, still no problem, you must have been very lucky or not smart enough to buy a ridiculous samsung aircon...

It doesn't matter what one person thinks, or even thousands, about a new technology if the market and momentum takes it to the norm.  And, that seems to be the case for "inverter" AC's and refrigerators (washing machines who knows).  But that will mean much more available replacement parts and knowledge of the folks that do the repair.  Like it or not, conventional AC's and refrigerators just won't exist 10 years from now.  (Yes, my opinion.)  Try and buy a vacuum tube or even LCD TV - same thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:45 PM, bberrythailand said:

8 years daikin inverter, still no problem, you must have been very lucky or not smart enough to buy a ridiculous samsung aircon...

Yeah, you're right.

Plain dumb, that's me.

Daikin or Samsung inverter, never no more anyone inverter. :tongue:

Like it or not, as bankruatsteve noted, we are unlikely to be able to buy anything other than inverter technology as time goes on.

Inverter technology is more energy efficient, and (importantly for the manufacturer) cheaper to make in the long run. It happens to attract a price premium at the moment too (although it's getting smaller). Motors can be built using less iron and copper offsetting the cost of the electronics (which is reducing in price unlike the other materials).

As the Samsung was my first foray into buying inverter technology it's not gone well, I'll stick to conventional aircon and fridges for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It doesn't matter what one person thinks, or even thousands, about a new technology if the market and momentum takes it to the norm.  And, that seems to be the case for "inverter" AC's and refrigerators (washing machines who knows).  But that will mean much more available replacement parts and knowledge of the folks that do the repair.  Like it or not, conventional AC's and refrigerators just won't exist 10 years from now.  (Yes, my opinion.)  Try and buy a vacuum tube or even LCD TV - same thing.
Vaccume tubes did make a comeback, and for some reason my son bought an amp a while back. You used to be able to buy then not so long ago, across the road from Tuk Com in Pattaya.

I remember when the tubes were being superseded by solid state devices, that the purest audiophile said that the timber etc produced by the VT was far superior than music produced by solid state devices.

These purists also had very rough hands and not much meat left on their dongle.

10 hours ago, carlyai said:

Vaccume tubes did make a comeback, and for some reason my son bought an amp a while back.

Nearly, it's "vacuum".

Whatever, the reason bottles sound "better" is that they introduce second-harmonic distortion which doesn't sound unpleasant, unlike the third-harmonic distortion introduced by solid-state devices which sounds harsh. They also clip "softly" when over-driven, again no nasty odd-harmonics.

To be honest, at least to my jaded ears, a good, large, V-FET amp just ticking over, sounds as good as yer actual valves.

Although I've dealt with some large valves in my time (think long range Radar Type-965 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_965_radar ) I doubt they'll be finding their way back into domestic appliances (except your microwave magnetron).

EDIT It's a shame I can't find any images of a 965 transmitter with the doors open, the plumbing is something to behold and a VHF waveguide would be better suited as an air-conditioning duct.

' It's a shame I can't find any images of a 965 transmitter with the doors open, the plumbing is something to behold and a VHF waveguide would be better suited as an air-conditioning duct.'

I worked on 250 kw HF transmitters processor controlled.

The tuning inductor and capacitors were huge and were servo and air controlled. The inductor was meters long and the capacitor and inductor worked hard with many frequency changes per day.
The dual processors I programmed with 64 bit machine language and the memory was composed of ferite cores with read/write and sense wires all visible thru the core. Used to draw sparks near metal.
Spose like yours Crossy, when we had a failure, it was huge.....Bang.

5 minutes ago, carlyai said:

when we had a failure, it was huge.....Bang.

Actually the 965 transmitter was quite well behaved, a thud if the HT fuses opened and maybe a little Magic Smoke, but it was easy to get back online (and essential, it was our only long-range air defence radar).

The 184 sonar which hung off the bottom of the ship rather than the top was another beast altogether. Lower voltages (only 1,500V) but each of the 40 odd transmitters was fused at 5A, that's a lot of energy. I had one go bang with the cabinet open (maintenance with the interlock bypassed) scared the living daylights out of me, the 150mm long HT fuse vanished leaving just the end caps. That was a system we didn't run if there were divers in the water, apparently it did interesting things to their internal organs.

Yes ... we went a little bit more up market than Crossy ... bought an Electrolux....

The guy re-wired the socket to a breaker and then back to the socket ...used genuine 'Thai Twisties'

He even covered, the cable run with sheathing. A neat job...

He said that it is preferable not to have a live supply going to the m/c all the time ... so apparently we are now almost bullet proof...

• 4 months later...
On 8/10/2017 at 12:56 PM, Crossy said:

Well, here we are 4 months later and it went "phut" again. I was in the room with it, a flicker of the room lights suggesting a surge / interruption followed by the machine running down from spin and no lights on the front.

Out of warranty so a total of 3,800 Baht to replace the electronics module (inc. 1,050 call out) . Replacement has a 3 month warranty.

Time for an update methinks.

The board I paid for lasted a month and was replaced under warranty (3 month warranty on the repair).

All was fine until last Friday when it went "phut" again. Wifey was in the room with it at the time and described the failure to the engineer when he came. Both the witnessed failures occurred during the spin cycle, a clue perhaps.

This time the senior engineer came out as we were having "too many failures" and decided to replace the board (another 3 Grand as out of warranty) and the motor (free under 5 year motor warranty).

Also he said that if it fails again they will "take it back to the lab to investigate".

We shall see how long it lasts this time.