working on my budget - give me your ideas and tips

dirkjones

Dont get too hung up on the minutiae of your budget , exchange rates can be volatile so could easily swing 5-10% either way.

Seems to me that you are underestimating your entertainment budget. Girls on dates like to be treated nicely , Thai girls are no exception.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was being facetious the first time....

Here's my real reply:

I have lived in Asia for over 30 years -- not a parachute tourist or part-timer.

If you think you have enough money to live here in Thailand, then come and try it on for size...take a couple months to suss the place out, rent one of those condos for about 6,000 baht a month (you don't need a maid) and look around at houses for rent (or condos if you really want to live in an expensive box without a yard or garden or dog) and areas in the city you might like to be in. 

Some of these suggestions are good here from people, but like trying to book a hotel room on Roomgoda or Hootels dot com, it's always better to come in person and just look and book (or not). 

You can find everything out you are asking for by just jumping in, and now you have some ballpark estimates. I didn't read every post so I don't know if you are 50 or over and angling for a retirement visa, but nonetheless, there are ways to massage the system to allow you to live here for a long time, if you wish. 

If you are studying the language, be sure you learn to read (and write); it will put you head and shoulders above the usual expat hoi polloi. 

PM me if you have something specific you want to ask me. 

I don't think the OP stated his age.   Guess it's not important but I guess well under 50.  Surely you forgot a zero. It's not 2800 to rent a room in USA. 28000 sure.  

Surely you're going to want to travel. I'm not sure if you have a separate travel budget but if you meet some special ladies who are familiar with parts of Thailand's you will want to take them up on their offers to guide  you.  The room in BKK can cost $3,000 a night.  Island resorts 4000. On these little side trips you could easily spend 5000 each day.   You can fly around in Thailand for 400-2000 RT.  Asia air has specials if you get the app.  Thai Smile is a nice airline.  Watch out for checkin baggage fees.  Will be 300 if you reserve ahead but 1000 if you don't.  

I use dating sites and line.  I think it is amazing how effective that can be.  But I reserve love for in person.  Thai women are tolerant if you arrive with an appointment list of girls you must meet.  Since you can't know until you meet them in person you will have to meet each of your special ladies. If your goal is to just barely exist than your budget maybe much less  than if you are kind of looking for a special Asian woman.  Thai women are like women anywhere in the world and even us men think about economics of life. They are looking for the man who can support them the most so your future earnings your career the amount you spend currently on them are all going to be much more important than you can imagine. Maybe if you are hansum man?   I never really totaled it up but I think in my 5 week trip I spent 140,000 not including airfare to USA. But I visited many places. Dove. Ate whatever I wanted.  I didn't drink to much.   Just Like we are interested in how are you are going to make money in the future a thai woman will be.  

Edited by Elkski

5 hours ago, bazza73 said:

OK, tell us how you access all these websites free. Prove how much smarter you are.

I just did but I probably should not have ....  (I sent you a PM.)

You can now publicly reply and state how much smarter I am than you.... or just send me some $$$$$$     :cheesy:

Definitely, you should not consider moving out here permanently until you have tried it for several months. Depends what part of the USA your from but it's not all fun fun fun !
That said 2 important points I would bear remind.

Firstly, you need to build some slack into your budget to cover the cost of inflation - currently running at approximately 10% per annum for food, drink and entertainment AND consider the effect on your budget if the Bhat strengthens against the US dollar by 5% which is highly probable.

Secondly, I would review your budget for a condo unit, unless you plan to live right out in the sticks at Mae Rim or somewhere similar you won't get much except a noisy smelly concrete box for that monthly rental .
Should you decide to live out a bit such as Mae Rim then you need to add the cost of a 20 km ride into town.

Just an old timers 2 pence worth

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

I just did but I probably should not have ....  (I sent you a PM.)

You can now publicly reply and state how much smarter I am than you.... or just send me some $$$$$$     :cheesy:

Yes, you are smarter than I am - in this area of intelligence.

The cheque is in the mail.

A lot of the big spenders are actually just supporting abled body relatives of their "GF.". Their illegitimate kids can have large expenses.  Drawing the line on who you will support is a great place to start.  Prossies can be a lot cheaper than the " free ones.". Apartments charge double for electric....so if you can rent a condo from an owner, you can probably just pay the PEA.  If you live in town, you don't need a very dangerous motorbike.  Pay for location, not space....Visa problems can add a lot...

On 3/30/2017 at 0:35 PM, dirkjones said:

so 1,200 a month 

I stayed in a small condo, and what's to clean? Floor is tiled and easy peasy to clean with a mop. Unless you are physically handicapped, I see no need to employ someone to "clean" a small condo.

As said, can buy a m'bike. Second hand ones are only a few thousand.

You don't mention insurance- that's expensive.

IMO, 1,750 for visa runs nowhere near enough.

If planning on a few "dates" ( depending on what you mean ) your 5,250 is entirely inadequate. Can do the rest for that much, but only without the "dates".

12 hours ago, Elkski said:

I don't think the OP stated his age.   Guess it's not important but I guess well under 50.  Surely you forgot a zero. It's not 2800 to rent a room in USA. 28000 sure.  

Surely you're going to want to travel. I'm not sure if you have a separate travel budget but if you meet some special ladies who are familiar with parts of Thailand's you will want to take them up on their offers to guide  you.  The room in BKK can cost $3,000 a night.  Island resorts 4000. On these little side trips you could easily spend 5000 each day.   You can fly around in Thailand for 400-2000 RT.  Asia air has specials if you get the app.  Thai Smile is a nice airline.  Watch out for checkin baggage fees.  Will be 300 if you reserve ahead but 1000 if you don't.  

I use dating sites and line.  I think it is amazing how effective that can be.  But I reserve love for in person.  Thai women are tolerant if you arrive with an appointment list of girls you must meet.  Since you can't know until you meet them in person you will have to meet each of your special ladies. If your goal is to just barely exist than your budget maybe much less  than if you are kind of looking for a special Asian woman.  Thai women are like women anywhere in the world and even us men think about economics of life. They are looking for the man who can support them the most so your future earnings your career the amount you spend currently on them are all going to be much more important than you can imagine. Maybe if you are hansum man?   I never really totaled it up but I think in my 5 week trip I spent 140,000 not including airfare to USA. But I visited many places. Dove. Ate whatever I wanted.  I didn't drink to much.   Just Like we are interested in how are you are going to make money in the future a thai woman will be.  

I think you mistakenly put  $ sign in front of Bkk room prices. I can stay in Bkk for under 1000 baht a night ( nice room/ hotel near skytrain ). Haven't been on the islands for a while but I'd expect under 2,000 baht available.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I stayed in a small condo, and what's to clean? Floor is tiled and easy peasy to clean with a mop. Unless you are physically handicapped, I see no need to employ someone to "clean" a small condo.

As said, can buy a m'bike. Second hand ones are only a few thousand.

You don't mention insurance- that's expensive.

IMO, 1,750 for visa runs nowhere near enough.

If planning on a few "dates" ( depending on what you mean ) your 5,250 is entirely inadequate. Can do the rest for that much, but only without the "dates".

1,750 isnt enough for visas. I don't understand? I'm staying 6 months. I'm coming with a 60 day visa. Need to do 1 extension for 90 days total.

Then take a quick flight to malaysia stay overnight  and get a new 60 day visa. Plus 1 more extension.

Why isn't that enough?

2 minutes ago, dirkjones said:

1,750 isnt enough for visas. I don't understand? I'm staying 6 months. I'm coming with a 60 day visa. Need to do 1 extension for 90 days total.

Then take a quick flight to malaysia stay overnight  and get a new 60 day visa. Plus 1 more extension.

Why isn't that enough?

A visa extension, of which you want 2 for 6 months is 1,900 each time. The cost of the airfare and the hotel in Malaysia is also part of the cost of "visas".

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A visa extension, of which you want 2 for 6 months is 1,900 each time. The cost of the airfare and the hotel in Malaysia is also part of the cost of "visas".

Right but I'm putting 1,750 a way each month.. 

I get what your saying... about the visa expenses. It's because my initial Visa and extension will be paid for in advanced through  separate  money. 

I'm only counting the expense from the 1 bored run. So I'm going to put aside 10,500 baht for the 1 run to malaysia.

Sorry for the misunderstanding 

Edited by dirkjones

Then take a quick flight to malaysia stay overnight  and get a new 60 day visa.

Can you do that now after you've had your tourist visa and extension? They change the rules often. 

I don't want to sound rude, but the money you are talking about is chump change. 500 baht here or there, 1,000 baht here or there? I know some men come here with very little money and live like an enhanced street person, but is it the fact that money is so tight for you? 

By the way, why do you want to come see about living here? Because it's cheap (for other enticements too)? 

2 hours ago, dirkjones said:

Why isn't that enough?

A quick flight to malaysia will not get you a 60 day visa, it will get you 30 day visa exempt when you get stamped back into thailand. But... Cnx immigration are not happy with one day border bounces. I have been stopped before.

14 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

A quick flight to malaysia will not get you a 60 day visa, it will get you 30 day visa exempt when you get stamped back into thailand. But... Cnx immigration are not happy with one day border bounces. I have been stopped before.

I would say if he comes for learning Thai, contact a Thai private "school" first (as the one in Panthip), get the documents, and apply your one year EDucation visa in US, at the Thai embassy. Of course, you need to learn and you can't leave the country "too often" and miss too many classes. But it could be convenient, if you really come for this ...

Philip.

18 minutes ago, khunphil said:

I would say if he comes for learning Thai, contact a Thai private "school" first (as the one in Panthip), get the documents, and apply your one year EDucation visa in US, at the Thai embassy. Of course, you need to learn and you can't leave the country "too often" and miss too many classes. But it could be convenient, if you really come for this ...

Philip.

It's a one year possible arrangement. The Initial Visa will be 90 days, then off to Immigration for extensions, the maximum he will get will be 90 days at a pop and sometimes if the IO does not like the answers to the pop quiz he gives, he may give only 30 days and tell him to come back in a month and try again (with another 1900 baht of course). The ED visa route is really not a great way to go...unless you really want to study a subject here.

What is it with vegetarians and Chiang Mai ? Never figured that one out. 

30k is enough if your single and do not drink and smoke, Been there done that .  

2 hours ago, tonray said:

It's a one year possible arrangement. The Initial Visa will be 90 days, then off to Immigration for extensions, the maximum he will get will be 90 days at a pop and sometimes if the IO does not like the answers to the pop quiz he gives, he may give only 30 days and tell him to come back in a month and try again (with another 1900 baht of course). The ED visa route is really not a great way to go...unless you really want to study a subject here.

Well, some schools have good reputation, and good contact at immigration, some other don't. Anyway, if he really comes to learn Thai, this can be a solution .. but if he is only visiting the school, maybe not a good idea. I still remember this story in Pattaya where the immigration officer asked to the foreigner renewing his visa for the 3rd or 4th time .. "Pla yai kin pla lek", what does it mean ? No answer, visa cancelled ;-) ... funny , a bit off topic but amusing ...

Philip

On 3/30/2017 at 7:37 AM, scubascuba3 said:

No way laundry is 750 a month unless you are getting your socks and pants ironed. No need for ironing.
Find a machine nearby 30-50 baht and hang up to dry. Once a week should be sufficient

Why in the world would you use a machine and do it yourself? Plenty of places will do laundry for 30 baht a kilo, they wash, dry and fold for you. Between my girlfriend and myself we spend ~150 a week. Drop it off one day, pick it up the next. It's hardly a luxury at that price. 

Well, some schools have good reputation, and good contact at immigration, some other don't. Anyway, if he really comes to learn Thai, this can be a solution .. but if he is only visiting the school, maybe not a good idea. I still remember this story in Pattaya where the immigration officer asked to the foreigner renewing his visa for the 3rd or 4th time .. "Pla yai kin pla lek", what does it mean ? No answer, visa cancelled ;-) ... funny , a bit off topic but amusing ...
Philip

It means "Another 5,000bt will do the trick".!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, lordblackader said:

Why in the world would you use a machine and do it yourself? Plenty of places will do laundry for 30 baht a kilo, they wash, dry and fold for you. Between my girlfriend and myself we spend ~150 a week. Drop it off one day, pick it up the next. It's hardly a luxury at that price. 

1). They will dip and twist.

2) They use poor detergent

3) they will let cats sleep on your folded clothes

4) they will mix cotton with polyester

5) their irons will give your clothes a bad smell

6) items will disappear..

I fired them all 10 years ago...

2 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

1). They will dip and twist.

2) They use poor detergent

3) they will let cats sleep on your folded clothes

4) they will mix cotton with polyester

5) their irons will give your clothes a bad smell

6) items will disappear..

I fired them all 10 years ago...

Totally agree....  I mean, how difficult is it to do a load or two of laundry? The part that I mostly dread is the ironing but I do this in the comfort of my AC and in front of the TV so I can watch a favorite show or movie while I do the ironing.