working on my budget - give me your ideas and tips

dirkjones

40 minutes ago, dirkjones said:

my full budget will be around that.  I just don't know how much i should i expect to spend on average for entertainment 

Can you elaborate on the entertainment part, entertainment can mean anything from playing tiddlywink's to having 3 in a bed regular session's.

Don't be shy on here if it involves woman, 95% of poster's on here probably moved here for that reason and the other 5% are liar's :biggrin:

Edited by alfieconn

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I would say that is pretty accurate although after 60,000 the increments should be 20,000 or more each level.  

There is very little difference between 60 & 70K, just 5000 a week and an extra 5000 a week really doesn't improve life that much.   

yea i see what you're saying., i'm looking at  all the comments people left, and i'm realizing this should've been the topic. i've really should've asked is what do ya'll do for entertainment in Chiang mai. i'm working on this budget and its hitting me because i'm going alone and don't already have social network out there. i really can't plan for entertainment because i don't know what people do there.  for fun 

1 minute ago, alfieconn said:

Can you elaborate on the entertainment part, entertainment can mean anything from playing tiddlywink's to having 3 in a bed regular session's.

Don't be shy on here if it involve's woman, 95% of poster's on here probably moved here for that reason !

you know what,  what does a the average date cost? what do locals do for fun? are they're concerts or comedy shows? parties? or what? I'm realizing i don't know what there as entertainment 

53 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

20,000 get by

30,000 livable

40,000 some fun

50,000 comfortable

60,000 more fun

70,000 wine, women and song

80,000 life is grand

90,000 super lifestyle

100,000 bliss

Up, this is fairly accurate based on my observation of helping foreigners who end up in the government hospitals, unable to pay their medical bills.  No one plans to have an accident.  That's why they're called "accidents".  Be sure to factor in medical insurance.  Sounds like you're a young guy, so it shouldn't be too expensive.  Come here with a travel insurance policy and then put shopping for a more comprehensive medical insurance policy near the top of your "to do" list once here.

Also, get a Thai drivers license, the appropriate one for the vehicle you're driving.  A regular license isn't valid for a motorscooter.  And your insurance won't pay if you have a vehicular accident and aren't licensed for the vehicle you're driving.  Come here with International Drivers Licenses -- both for car and for motorcycle and then get the TDLs as soon as possible.  The motorcycle shops will rent to people who aren't properly licensed and say "no problem, there's insurance".  Yeah, right.  For the vehicle, but not for you.

I've seen young guys like the OP have their dream of a carefree life in Thailand wiped out when they crash their motorbike and end up in Suan Dok hospital for a couple months, racking up a couple million baht bill they can't pay -- that is if they're lucky enough not to have hurt their head and can still care about their life anymore.

8 minutes ago, dirkjones said:

you know what,  what does a the average date cost? what do locals do for fun? are they're concerts or comedy shows? parties? or what? I'm realizing i don't know what there as entertainment 

Sorry i'm married so can't help you with any of the above and certainly not with the "do for fun" part :biggrin:

Edited by alfieconn

6 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Ladies of the Night - Bar Fine 500 baht. Services rendered - 1500 baht to ... the sky's the limit

sorry i'm new to thailand .....   what is services rendered  ?  what is provided ? is it cleaning the room .... ?

2 minutes ago, dirkjones said:

its boom boom 

Ohh, so you know a lot already ;-) for a newbie .

I would say, you have your amount of money, quite precisely estimated, so just come here and try, then adjust your expenses or your time in Thailand. There are too many parameters to have a clear calculation. Living on site is the best way to see, month after month, how you can enjoy your time.

For example, if someone still your photographic gear, and you are back home (this happened to my friend), so if you have expensive photographic material, choose wisely the place where you will stay ... and wisely the girl who can visit you sometimes.

You are young ... I never planned my laundry cost 7 months away ... come here, and live your life, and learn.

Good luck

Philip

2 hours ago, dirkjones said:

what i'm saying is I have no idea how much i'm going to need for entertainment. so i'm asking for ya'll to tell me a number or average 

How high is up?

I know people who claim to live on 12k-15k/mo. However, I rarely see them--I suppose they are sweating in their rooms with the communal toilet down the hall and reading borrowed books for entertainment. 

I know this is going to cause dissent from the thrifty, but if you have to ask how much, you don't have enough.

Up, this is fairly accurate based on my observation of helping foreigners who end up in the government hospitals, unable to pay their medical bills.  No one plans to have an accident.  That's why they're called "accidents".  Be sure to factor in medical insurance.  Sounds like you're a young guy, so it shouldn't be too expensive.  Come here with a travel insurance policy and then put shopping for a more comprehensive medical insurance policy near the top of your "to do" list once here.

Also, get a Thai drivers license, the appropriate one for the vehicle you're driving.  A regular license isn't valid for a motorscooter.  And your insurance won't pay if you have a vehicular accident and aren't licensed for the vehicle you're driving.  Come here with International Drivers Licenses -- both for car and for motorcycle and then get the TDLs as soon as possible.  The motorcycle shops will rent to people who aren't properly licensed and say "no problem, there's insurance".  Yeah, right.  For the vehicle, but not for you.

I've seen young guys like the OP have their dream of a carefree life in Thailand wiped out when they crash their motorbike and end up in Suan Dok hospital for a couple months, racking up a couple million baht bill they can't pay -- that is if they're lucky enough not to have hurt their head and can still care about their life anymore.

Does motorcycle insurance include cover for accident medical care? I assume not and separate medical cover is needed?

13 minutes ago, steven100 said:

sorry i'm new to thailand .....   what is services rendered  ?  what is provided ? is it cleaning the room .... ?

It should be cooking, cleaning, laundry and living in her house; if you are a hansum man.

1 minute ago, elektrified said:

Why would you even consider moving here if you have never even been here???????

Because moving is my vist.  i'm only there for 6 months. If i don't like it, then i'll come right back home.

1 hour ago, dirkjones said:

Right now i'm in the states.. My food entertainment transportation runs me 14,000 THB

i Didn't include Rent, because  i already have a monthly cap for rent. i'm not paying more than 11,500 a month for rent.. 

i'm going to be taking language classes 

i've already had health and accidental insurance quotes. 

I do understand about the visa rules and regulations changes. 

Its not a  situation of being frugal. it's this situation that i'm going to be out there alone. and i really don't know what its going to cost daily..

I typically do Photography and filmmaking. which will take up a lot of my regular day. 

Thanks for correcting me on the laundry budget. i will make a note of that.. 

Nothing you are saying makes any sense.

What kind of visa are you getting? "Border runs" are a thing of the past.

What kind of health insurance have you received quotes on? Travel insurance is only good for up to 12 months.

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

How do you know you haven't been to Thailand? Kinda hoping Thailand might be different to how insurance normally works

I haven't been to Thailand, yet i'e been researching and planning this move literally every single day since Oct 2016,

1 minute ago, elektrified said:

Nothing you are saying makes any sense.

What kind of visa are you getting? "Border runs" are a thing of the past.

What kind of health insurance have you received quotes on? Travel insurance is only good for up to 12 months.

everything i'm saying makes sense.. 

i'll be on a 60 day tourist visa, Plus 30 day extension that's 90 days, then I still have to do a border run to get another 60 day visa. 

Thai based medical insurance.. 

18 minutes ago, khunphil said:

Ohh, so you know a lot already ;-) for a newbie .

I would say, you have your amount of money, quite precisely estimated, so just come here and try, then adjust your expenses or your time in Thailand. There are too many parameters to have a clear calculation. Living on site is the best way to see, month after month, how you can enjoy your time.

For example, if someone still your photographic gear, and you are back home (this happened to my friend), so if you have expensive photographic material, choose wisely the place where you will stay ... and wisely the girl who can visit you sometimes.

You are young ... I never planned my laundry cost 7 months away ... come here, and live your life, and learn.

Good luck

Philip

thanks that's make a lot of sense.. i'm certainly a newbie i'm researching moving to Chiang mai  for 181 days straight.. my last day in the states is Oct 30th 2017.. i've watched over 30 minutes of chiang mai and thailand related videos daily. i'm in the blogs, reading forums almost 2 to 3 hours of day. Been on the major Dating sites. already got Line. Been in talks With Bangkok and chiang mai pharmacist. Realtors, and other locals, read in details the requirement for Driver licenses, Read up on the daily changing Visa rules, read  up on the laws for opening a business vs buying a business, buying a condo vs renting. the poor building codes, dropping value in property. how i can't buy property but can do a 10 yr lease, how to structure a board of directors,  the issues with opening up a bank account,  to certain condo trying to keep deposits,   to learning what key money is when buying a business, to having to employee 4 thai people for ever expat you hire. to not being able to get a mobile phone CONTRACT in my name. but being allowed to have wired internet in my name "completely stupid"  

in other words in 181 days, i've read, researched, and processed sooo much information,  and i'm still learning so so much more. 

Some of this depends on where in Thailand you are planning to settle... and your resistance to temptations... but after the essentials, you are into discretionary and that will be up to you... you can only spend what you have, I assume? By that I mean you are trying to live on a fixed income... and if you budget 20,000 fur fun - - then, well, that's it until next month. 

31 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Does motorcycle insurance include cover for accident medical care? I assume not and separate medical cover is needed?

All my cars and bikes insurance covers for injury caused by an accident. Now if you get dengue, have a heart attack, stroke, etc. then you need separate medical insurance coverage. Where I come from, the majority of your time must be spent in country of residence for travel medical insurance to be valid. 365 days in a year, 183 must be spent there. They bill your home province and pay the difference. And it covers motorcycle riding for travel or entertainment. Not for racing.

36 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Why would you even consider moving here if you have never even been here???????

Oh please, you've never heard of people who come because others have told them how wonderful it is?